Old September 22nd 08, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Recliner Recliner is offline

Default FGW Oystercard PAYG

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 21 Sep, 15:30, "Recliner" wrote:

"Matthew Dickinson" wrote:

First Great Western will accept Oyster Pay As You Go at all stations
between Paddington and West Drayton or Greenford from the 21st
September, according to a leaflet I picked up at Ealing Broadway
yesterday. The fares and peak periods will be the same as for the
tube.

As a matter of interest, how do you get charged on a pre-pay Oyster
card if the journey involves both NR and LE, with an out of barrier
change -- eg, if you take FGW from, say, Ealing Broadway to
Paddington, then change to the Circle from Paddington to, say, Baker
Street? Is it treated as a single zone 1-3 journey, or a zone 1-3
plus a zone 1 journey? And, presumably, the same rule applies with
other operators, such as Chiltern or even London Overground?

I presume that "LE" is a typo for LU.

Yes, sorry, I did mean LU.

In scenarios such as that which you describe, you are only charged
once for the whole journey - the segment from Paddington to Baker
Street is merely counted as a continuation of your journey. This
applies at locations where there are out-of-station interchanges (OOSI
- we have sometimes referred to them here as 'outerchanges'!), though
that term is potentially confusing when one doesn't actually leave the
station, one just exits through an automatic gate, crosses a
concourse, drops down some stairs and then enters another gate.

Thanks, that's what I hoped, but hadn't got round to trying it for
myself yet.