Old December 2nd 03, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Oyster Confusion

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:24:58 +0000, Jason
wrote:

The OysterCard Helpline told me that the value of single journey would
be deducted (and where no 'exit' is recorded a Z1-6 fare) on a journey
by journey basis - i.e. there wouldn't be caps through the day - and
overnight the system would update to adjust to the appropriate
Travelcard fare if this was cheaper.

Obviously I can't vouch for the accuracy of this information!

This makes some kind of sense. Unless you put the logic into the
ticket machines/barriers to calculate the appropriate fare for the day
(with both peak and off-peak travelcards this isn't as straightforward
as it sounds), it will be necessary to feed back the journey log from
the barriers[1], make the calculation and re-credit at the next
barrier encountered (a home station?). This could only realistically
be a batch job.

Thinking about it, with the journey log on the card, and limited
communication with buses, the implementation of such a scheme isn't
quite as simple as it sounds!

[1] This may be why buses are excluded - linking back to the base to
show the number of journeys undertaken for such a calculation using
only limited-capacity Wayfarer modules would seem to be a bit
difficult.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.