Old October 8th 08, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Answer (was Quiz)

On Oct 8, 2:18*am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
MIG wrote:
On Oct 8, 12:44 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Where is there a container port in London?

There seems to be one at the mouth of the Walbrook, which my A - Z
implies might be Bell Wharf.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/76071
Although accessed via Bell Wharf Lane, it's actually called Walbrook Wharf.
There's a crane which moves on rails along the shore, with a head that runs
in and out over the river. The Thames Path has a covered walkway beneath the
crane's locus, with level crossing-type barriers and signs stating that the
path may be shut for up to fifteen minutes, presumably because the roof of
the covered walkway is not strong enough to catch a falling container.
Actually, I should have made the quiz question about the unlevel crossing....
then maybe no-one would have got it!

Ah. I had seen it in operation, but I didn't know what it was called
(or really what it was for, but should have been able to guess).