Old October 7th 08, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Quiz

Where is there a container port in London?

Old October 8th 08, 12:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Where is there a container port in London?

Depends on your definition of London really. If you take it to be the
whole length of the Thames covered by the Port of London Authority, then
you can include Tilbury.

Cheers,

Barry
Old October 8th 08, 12:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
Where is there a container port in London?

Depends on your definition of London really. If you take it to be the
whole length of the Thames covered by the Port of London Authority,
then you can include Tilbury.

Where is there a container port less than 300 metres walk from a tube
station?

Old October 8th 08, 12:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Oct 8, 12:44*am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Where is there a container port in London?

There seems to be one at the mouth of the Walbrook, which my A - Z
implies might be Bell Wharf.
Old October 8th 08, 01:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Answer (was Quiz)

MIG wrote:
On Oct 8, 12:44 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Where is there a container port in London?

There seems to be one at the mouth of the Walbrook, which my A - Z
implies might be Bell Wharf.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/76071
Although accessed via Bell Wharf Lane, it's actually called Walbrook Wharf.
There's a crane which moves on rails along the shore, with a head that runs
in and out over the river. The Thames Path has a covered walkway beneath the
crane's locus, with level crossing-type barriers and signs stating that the
path may be shut for up to fifteen minutes, presumably because the roof of
the covered walkway is not strong enough to catch a falling container.
Actually, I should have made the quiz question about the unlevel crossing...
then maybe no-one would have got it!

Old October 8th 08, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Oct 8, 2:18*am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
MIG wrote:
On Oct 8, 12:44 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Where is there a container port in London?

There seems to be one at the mouth of the Walbrook, which my A - Z
implies might be Bell Wharf.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/76071
Although accessed via Bell Wharf Lane, it's actually called Walbrook Wharf.
There's a crane which moves on rails along the shore, with a head that runs
in and out over the river. The Thames Path has a covered walkway beneath the
crane's locus, with level crossing-type barriers and signs stating that the
path may be shut for up to fifteen minutes, presumably because the roof of
the covered walkway is not strong enough to catch a falling container.
Actually, I should have made the quiz question about the unlevel crossing....
then maybe no-one would have got it!

Ah. I had seen it in operation, but I didn't know what it was called
(or really what it was for, but should have been able to guess).
Old October 8th 08, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 8, 2:18 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
MIG wrote:
On Oct 8, 12:44 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Where is there a container port in London?

There seems to be one at the mouth of the Walbrook, which my A - Z
implies might be Bell Wharf.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/76071
Although accessed via Bell Wharf Lane, it's actually called Walbrook Wharf.

Isn't that for the rubbish barges?

B2003

Quiz and stuff at the LT Museum this Friday Basil Jet[_2_] London Transport 0 May 15th 11 04:41 AM
Two "Street" stations in a row: prospective quiz question Offramp London Transport 31 October 22nd 10 12:01 AM
Quiz Basil Jet London Transport 3 June 21st 09 11:58 AM
Tube quiz name game Iain London Transport 25 August 2nd 06 04:37 PM
TfL cycling (on-yer-bike posters) spot-the-problem quiz Simon Hewison London Transport 19 May 3rd 04 05:21 PM