Old October 16th 08, 06:15 PM
reea reea is offline
Junior Member

Default Fare Evasion

I was caught using someone elses freedom pass in error instead of my own oyster on London Underground. My details were taken but I wasn't given an on the spot fine. i have only just recieved a summons. I used the freedom pass in error, I happend to be carrying it on the day and used the freedom pass instead of my own oyster card. I have a record on my oyster card that on the first leg of my journey i used my oyster card - the revenue inspector was not interested. The statement he has put together is slightly inaccurate also. I am due in court in 4 weeks and haven't a clue what to do. I have read many forums and some people are saying to plead guilty to get a lighter fine. I'm not concerned about the fine but the criminal record that may be attached to this event. I also read that it could be an idea to call the prosecution manager and to and plead an out of court settlement - is this something anyone would recommend. Is it worth hiring a solicitor or should I represent myself. It was a genuine error and I do not want to receive a criminal record because of it. Can someone advise if found guilty and fined that also means you get a criminal record? Or you can escape a criminal record with just a fine. I am very muddled and I don't know what to do, I'm absolutely terrified of what is going to happen. Any answers or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by reea : October 16th 08 at 06:17 PM