Old October 16th 08, 06:15 PM
Junior Member

Default Fare Evasion

I was caught using someone elses freedom pass in error instead of my own oyster on London Underground. My details were taken but I wasn't given an on the spot fine. i have only just recieved a summons. I used the freedom pass in error, I happend to be carrying it on the day and used the freedom pass instead of my own oyster card. I have a record on my oyster card that on the first leg of my journey i used my oyster card - the revenue inspector was not interested. The statement he has put together is slightly inaccurate also. I am due in court in 4 weeks and haven't a clue what to do. I have read many forums and some people are saying to plead guilty to get a lighter fine. I'm not concerned about the fine but the criminal record that may be attached to this event. I also read that it could be an idea to call the prosecution manager and to and plead an out of court settlement - is this something anyone would recommend. Is it worth hiring a solicitor or should I represent myself. It was a genuine error and I do not want to receive a criminal record because of it. Can someone advise if found guilty and fined that also means you get a criminal record? Or you can escape a criminal record with just a fine. I am very muddled and I don't know what to do, I'm absolutely terrified of what is going to happen. Any answers or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by reea : October 16th 08 at 06:17 PM

Old October 16th 08, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"reea" wrote in message

I was caught using someone elses freedom pass in error instead of my own
oyster on London Underground. My details were taken but I wasn't given
an on the spot fine. i have only just recieved a summons. I used the
freedom pass in error, I happend to be carrying it on the day and used

You're going to have to come up with a convincing reason why you "just
happened" to have someone else's freedom pass in you pocket in the first
place.

Personally, I can't think of a reason I would believe if I were the jury

tim

Old October 16th 08, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim....." wrote in message

"reea" wrote in message

I was caught using someone elses freedom pass in error instead of my own
oyster on London Underground. My details were taken but I wasn't given
an on the spot fine. i have only just recieved a summons. I used the
freedom pass in error, I happend to be carrying it on the day and used

You're going to have to come up with a convincing reason why you "just
happened" to have someone else's freedom pass in you pocket in the first
place.

Personally, I can't think of a reason I would believe if I were the jury

I'm fairly sure someone posted almost exactly the same 'tale of woe' a year
or two back.
I don't think the eventual result was ever reported back... Google might
know...

Paul S

Old October 16th 08, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Oct, 19:15, reea wrote:
I was caught using someone elses freedom pass in error instead of my own
oyster on London Underground. My details were taken but I wasn't given
an on the spot fine. i have only just recieved a summons.

Never trust any legal advise you get on the internet

You'll have to explain why you were carrying someone elses freedom
pass around. If you have oyster history showing a regular journey that
might help your case. If the freedom pass was in daily use up to that
point you're going to have problems.
Old October 17th 08, 06:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
dB dB is offline

Never trust any legal advise you get on the internet

Quite. If you want legal advice I would suggest you pop down to your local
Citizens Advice Bureau who will be able to explain to you what to do, and
help put your mind to rest about what is likely to happen.

Old October 17th 08, 07:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:34:06 on Thu, 16
Oct 2008, tim..... remarked:
You're going to have to come up with a convincing reason why you "just
happened" to have someone else's freedom pass in you pocket in the first
place.

Personally, I can't think of a reason I would believe if I were the jury

Depends who the Freedom Pass belonged to, and why he had it. If it was
his wife's and had picked it up from the council office that day, and
was in the process of taking it home - then the possession would be
understandable (even if the accidental nature of the use might be a more
difficult thing to explain).
Old October 17th 08, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Oct, 08:35, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 22:34:06 on Thu, 16
Oct 2008, tim..... remarked:

You're going to have to come up with a convincing reason why you "just
happened" to have someone else's freedom pass in you pocket in the first
place.

Personally, I can't think of a reason I would believe if I were the jury

Depends who the Freedom Pass belonged to, and why he had it. If it was
his wife's and had picked it up from the council office that day, and
was in the process of taking it home - then the possession would be
understandable (even if the accidental nature of the use might be a more
difficult thing to explain).

Are freedom passes oyster cards? - If so, then if you had one in your
wallet along with your normal Oyster (as suggested, say you were
picking it up or it just happened to be in a pile with the rest of
your normal credit cards et al. that morning etc.) and the barrier
reader found it before your oyster and used it instead....these are
contactless cards that live out of sight, after all.

Does anyone know what happens if you have multiple oysters next to
each other when you swipe?
Old October 17th 08, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jamie Thompson" wrote in message
[...]

They certainly work the same way and I always keep my Oyster (pre 0930
travel) and Freedom Pass (any other time) in separate wallets just to make
sure I don't get charged when I should be travelling free. Keeping the nice
bright orange ticket wallet helps make sure you don't confuse it with
anything else too!

MaxB

Old October 17th 08, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The message

from Jamie Thompson contains these words:

[...]

Freedom Passes are Oyster Cards.
Freedom Passes are orange and brown, ordinary Oyster cards are blue and
bright turquoise. These colours are easily accidentally confused - not.

I read a similar story a few years ago in this very newsgroup. I didn't
believe the OP ?Michelle? then and I certainly don't believe the OP here
now. I am a wheelchair user who frequently gives my Freedom Pass to my
partner so he can push me through a gate but we don't have that sort of
'accident' even though he is DEAD SCATTY.
Pull the other one, it's gt bells on!
Old October 17th 08, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
news
In message , at 22:34:06 on Thu, 16 Oct
2008, tim..... remarked:
You're going to have to come up with a convincing reason why you "just
happened" to have someone else's freedom pass in you pocket in the first
place.

Personally, I can't think of a reason I would believe if I were the jury

Depends who the Freedom Pass belonged to, and why he had it. If it was his
wife's and had picked it up from the council office that day

Never having had one, I have no idea if it works this way, but somehow I
doubt it.

tim