Old November 18th 08, 05:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Thameslink KO0 at Kentish Town

On Nov 18, 2:32*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"D7666" wrote

I was under the impression that a side effect of the SL RUS suggesting
(for good reasons IMHO) Wimbledon loop be decoupled from Thameslink
was diversion to other lines where 8car length limits (such as around
all of the Wimbledon loop) would be less of a problem.

The South Central Metro services supposedly have their own 10car
extension scheme although I'm not sure to what timescale and already
most if not all of Kent suburban is already 10car (I accept the access
route between Kent *via Elephant to *Thameslink core is not 10car).

It's only the ex-SER lines (Charing Cross and Cannon Street) of Kent
Suburban that are 10-car (implemented in the 1950s), and many platforms were
extended to 12-car when it was intended (and may be again, on some routes)
that Networkers would run in 12-car formation. The ex-LCDR lines (Victoria
and Blackfriars) have always remained 8-car, with the only longer platforms
being at a few stations at which main line trains call - from memory, Herne
Hill, Beckenham Junction, Shortlands, Bromley South, St Mary Cray and
Swanley.

IIRC Bat and Ball is only about 5-car length - how is this managed with
longer trains?

According to Quail it's 8, but the southern edition must be long
overdue for an update. Haven't been there for about fifteen years.