Old February 11th 09, 10:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Andy Andy is offline

Default Monday start for full WCML timetable

On Feb 11, 11:18*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 11 Feb, 22:37, "Chris Read" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:
What's the long term future of these trains off the WCML & WLL with
regards to going to all the way East Croydon? I forget the detailed
machinations discussed in the South London RUS but I'm sure I recall
reading about the possibility that they might terminate at Clapham Jn
in the future (platform 17 in particular is currently no good for
hoards of interchanging passengers).

Wasn't South Croydon also mentioned at some stage?

FWIW, punctuality on the Brighton main line/Coastway services I use has been
poor since the December timetable change, and congestion at *East Croydon is
often the cause of delay. Therefore, in my view, the fewer trains which
terminate and reverse here, the better. Would Purley not offer an
alternative?

I believe the trains actually reverse out-of-service at South Croydon,
but southbound they tip-out at East Croydon - not sure how good they
are at doing this there.

The one time that I took the service all the way to East Croydon, on a
Saturday, it reversed in Platform 5 at East Croydon. Off-peak trains
have 13 mins if they reverse at East Croydon. I think that reversal
here takes less line capacity, as other services can run 'around' a
train in Platform 5. Reversal at South Croydon involves blocking the
Slow Reversible from East Croydon - South Croydon for most of that 13
mins.

I recall one of the South London RUS recommendations regarding the MKC-
Watford-Croydon services was that of reversing at South Croydon (not
considered ideal for whatever reason but doable nonetheless), but
perhaps I simply and erroneously read into that that they'd run in
service to/from South Croydon.