Old February 12th 09, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] cucuckshow@yahoo.com is offline

Default Oyster travel cap (z2-6 ) if travel is within 2-6 but fare is viaZ1

Mizter T wrote :
At the moment you would be charged the via zone 1 fare - which is
£2.20 Off-Peak or £2.80 Peak. This is because at present each 'station
pair' has a fare defined between them, and the presumption is that a
Greenford to Camden Road journey will go through zone 1, I guess via
the Victoria line to Highbury & Islington and then the NLL to Camden
Road - I'm not sure this is a good presumption for TfL's planners to
have made, but they have so there you go.
In other words a Greenford to Camden Road journey would not qualify
for a z2-6 cap as (for better or for worse) it is defined as being via
zone 1.

Thanks for the replies gents. However something else has cropped up.
I was directed to the following post on a Rail Forum :
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthre...t=15974&page=2 reply #21
by "General Zod"

His journey is from Ruislip ( Met / Piccadillly Line) Z5 to
Snaresbrook ( Central Line ) Z4 : defined as as via zone 1 journey /
fare. (£3.80 peak £2.20 off peak)

The journey he takes is Ruislip (Met line) - Finchley Rd --- walks
to Finchley Road and Frognal (LO) -- Stratford (Central line) -
Snaresbrook.

( Finchley Road and Finchley Road and Frognal are valid OOS
interchanges as are Shepherds Bush Underground and Shepherds Bush
LO)

Now this journey and the return were capped at the zone 2-6 fare
( £2.80) even though the Ruislip - Snaresbrook fare was defined as via
zone 1. So there must be a mechanism in place that recognises the
fact that he did not go into Z1 but instead only went as far as z2
(Finchley Road) and travelled solely within z 2-6.

If the z2-6 cap kicked in for the above journey then surely the cap
should also apply for the Greenford -Camden Road via Shepherd Bush LO
interchange ? If the lack of transgression into Z1 was recognised in
the Ruislip-Snaresbrook journey then would it also not be recognised
in the Greenford -Camden Road Journey ?

I am intruiged !
:-)