Old February 12th 09, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig[_2_] Fig[_2_] is offline

Default Oyster travel cap (z2-6 ) if travel is within 2-6 but fare is viaZ1

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:10:42 -0000, Mizter T wrote:

On 11 Feb, 16:08, wrote:
The following had me thinking. If your Oyster card has a YPRC discount
on it and you wanted to make the most of your generous z2-6 cap,
( £2.80 I think) how would you get charged on the following journey :

The Railcard discounted off-peak z2-6 cap is £3.00 now - see:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx

Greenford - Camden Â*Road Return ( changing at Shepherd's Bush for
London Overground ).

The single fare listed (£2.20) is for travel through zone 1, but if
you avoided zone 1 and travelled within z2-6 as you would using the LO
interchange, would the Greenford-Camden Road Â*and return to Greenford
be capped at £2.80 or would you pay £4.40 ? Is the system designed to
recognise that the above journey ( by touching in / out at Shepherd's
Bush Overground) does not go through z1and hence will allow the
discounted z2-6 cap ?

At the moment you would be charged the via zone 1 fare - which is
£2.20 Off-Peak or £2.80 Peak. This is because at present each 'station
pair' has a fare defined between them, and the presumption is that a
Greenford to Camden Road journey will go through zone 1, I guess via
the Victoria line to Highbury & Islington and then the NLL to Camden
Road - I'm not sure this is a good presumption for TfL's planners to
have made, but they have so there you go.

In other words a Greenford to Camden Road journey would not qualify
for a z2-6 cap as (for better or for worse) it is defined as being via
zone 1.

*However* there are developments in the pipeline that will hopefully
deal with such situations - this will mean that the Oyster system will
be able to have different fares set for different routes between two
stations, so in the case of the above journey passengers who
interchange at Shepherd's Bush (and thus pass through two gatelines,
one at each station) would be charged the lower via zone 2 fare.

This whole issue came up very recently in a mid-January utl thread
entitled "Preventing outerchange?" - I'd recommend you take a look at
it if you want to know more as it was actually prompted by another
poster's experience of the Shepherd's Bush interchange situation. It
can be seen via GG he
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....f3bbb6dd38486/

Lastly, if you want a workaround for this, then to ensure you qualify
for a z2-6 cap I'd suggest you get off the Central line at White City
and then walk the short distance to Shepherd's Bush LO station - this
can be done either by walking through the new Westfield shopping
centre or by skirting the south side of it (a little bit further but
largely avoids the shops and shoppers). If you were to do this you'd
get charged for two separate journeys - Greenford to White City then
Shepherd's Bush (LO/WLL) to Camden Road, but you'd obviously then
qualify for the zones 2-6 cap.

In the same thread, you (Mizter T) said that touching in on a bus would
break the outer-change and force a non-zone 1 journey. Couldn't the OP do
that here, between Shep Bush LU and Shep Bush LO, rather than walking
between White City and Shep Bush? (Bearing in mind, the OP is planning a
return journey and so will reach his £3 cap anyway)

--
Fig