Old February 17th 09, 03:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] andrewcunard@googlemail.com is offline

Default East London Line phase 2b to Clapham Jn is GO!

On Feb 17, 12:27*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:
wrote

I still think the ELLX phase 2 will be
packed full starting at Clapham Junction - the appeal of being able to
just take one train (no exhanges to other trains) - and an air-
conditioned train - all the way to either the City (Shoreditch), or
Canada Water (just 1 stop from Canary Wharf) has enormous appeal. *I
think the ELLX is a wonderful gift to those of us who live near
Clapham Junction.

I'm sure it will be popular, though I still think that, except perhaps for
two or three peak trains, it won't be packed to the point of discomfort.
Though I've just done some calculations - I think you're right that it will
be as quick for a journey to Canary Wharf, starting at Clapham Junction, as
going via Waterloo, and almost as quick to the City (assuming a final
destination equidistant from Bank and Shoreditch High Street, the last bit
being done on foot).

Peter

Peter, when looked at that way, I would say that commuters would pick
the ELLX over Waterloo hands-down every time - why? - because of 2
reasons: (1) the commuter would never choose to make the unpleasant
hike at Waterloo - just makes you get hot and sweaty, and (2) once you
are on the Waterloo & City line, you are no longer on an air-
conditioned train so why get off the air-conditioned ELLX??? Also,
that unpleasant hike at Waterloo - that is also done in an unair-
conditioned environment. Also, if one is working in the City, then
one could easily take one of the many buses at Shoreditch heading
towards Broadgate/Bishopsgate - getting buses at Bank is a pain in the
rear (not enough of them - streets are too narrow) and seems to take
time. Just my thoughts as a commuter.