Old April 26th 09, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Rupert Candy[_3_] Rupert Candy[_3_] is offline

Default Crossrail

Mizter T wrote:
On Apr 24, 8:37 am, wrote:

On Apr 21, 9:18 pm, Rupert Candy

wrote:

[snip list of Crossrail survey locations]

They all seemed to be test digs of some sort - I did see some
holes,
albeit small ones.

There's one in Charterhouse Square, too, I noticed the other
evening.

I remember a Crossrail branded hoarding in Charterhouse Sq (and
one in
the Barbican gardens) in 1990. Call me a pessimist...

Any idea what the 1990 hoardings were for?

I think they were for exactly the same thing as they are today, i.e.
geological surveys as you more properly referred to them, or 'test
digs' as I rather sloppily referred to them!

There were some pretty serious noises being made around that time with
regards to Crossrail by NSE and LU. Who knows, if NSE hadn't been
split up then perhaps, just perhaps, Crossrail may have been with us a
bit sooner. Maybe.

Exactly. One of the star exhibits when I went to an LT Museum Acton open
day was the Crossrail EMU mockup from the early 90s, complete with
interior line diagrams. I have pics if anyone's interested...

--
Current nearest station: Beckenham Jn