Old April 21st 09, 01:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail

A hoarding adorned with the Crossrail logo has appeared inside the south
side of Finsbury Circus. No hole that I can see, though!

Old April 21st 09, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 21, 2:20*am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
A hoarding adorned with the Crossrail logo has appeared inside the south
side of Finsbury Circus. No hole that I can see, though!

Over the past couple of years I've seen blue hoardings adorned with
the Crossrail logo in Canning Town (on Victoria Dock Road somewhere
between Royal Victoria and Custom House DLR stations), in the back
streets of Limehouse (near Westferry DLR), in the car park of
Whitechapel Sainsbury's (just off Whitechapel Road and Cambridge Heath
Road), and on Sutton Row (between Tottenham Court Road and Soho
Square).

They all seemed to be test digs of some sort - I did see some holes,
albeit small ones.
Old April 21st 09, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Mizter T writes

On Apr 21, 2:20*am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
A hoarding adorned with the Crossrail logo has appeared inside the south
side of Finsbury Circus. No hole that I can see, though!

Over the past couple of years I've seen blue hoardings adorned with
the Crossrail logo in Canning Town (on Victoria Dock Road somewhere
between Royal Victoria and Custom House DLR stations), in the back
streets of Limehouse (near Westferry DLR), in the car park of
Whitechapel Sainsbury's (just off Whitechapel Road and Cambridge Heath
Road), and on Sutton Row (between Tottenham Court Road and Soho
Square).

They all seemed to be test digs of some sort - I did see some holes,
albeit small ones.

There's one in Charterhouse Square, too, I noticed the other evening.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old April 21st 09, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:
In message
,
Mizter T writes

On Apr 21, 2:20 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
A hoarding adorned with the Crossrail logo has appeared inside the
south
side of Finsbury Circus. No hole that I can see, though!

Over the past couple of years I've seen blue hoardings adorned with
the Crossrail logo in Canning Town (on Victoria Dock Road somewhere
between Royal Victoria and Custom House DLR stations), in the back
streets of Limehouse (near Westferry DLR), in the car park of
Whitechapel Sainsbury's (just off Whitechapel Road and Cambridge
Heath
Road), and on Sutton Row (between Tottenham Court Road and Soho
Square).

They all seemed to be test digs of some sort - I did see some holes,
albeit small ones.

There's one in Charterhouse Square, too, I noticed the other evening.

I remember a Crossrail branded hoarding in Charterhouse Sq (and one in
the Barbican gardens) in 1990. Call me a pessimist...
--
Current nearest station: Victoria (Eastern)
Old April 23rd 09, 10:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Mizter T wrote:

On Apr 21, 2:20*am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
A hoarding adorned with the Crossrail logo has appeared inside the south
side of Finsbury Circus. No hole that I can see, though!

Over the past couple of years I've seen blue hoardings adorned with the
Crossrail logo in Canning Town (on Victoria Dock Road somewhere between
Royal Victoria and Custom House DLR stations), in the back streets of
Limehouse (near Westferry DLR), in the car park of Whitechapel
Sainsbury's (just off Whitechapel Road and Cambridge Heath Road), and on
Sutton Row (between Tottenham Court Road and Soho Square).

They all seemed to be test digs of some sort - I did see some holes,
albeit small ones.

Well of course they're small! The train larvae are only a foot, foot and a
half wide at this point. You only need to bore little holes to get them
down into the ground, then they dig out bigger and bigger tunnels of their
own as they grow. Come 2016, when they're reached maturity, they'll have
bored full-size W6A tunnels.

tom

--
unconstrained by any considerations of humanity or decency

Old April 23rd 09, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

You're writing the screenplay of the sequel to Tremors aren't you?

("Tremors II - the attack of the gaping hole... in the transport
budget..." ...too predictable?...)
Old April 24th 09, 07:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 21, 9:18*pm, Rupert Candy
wrote:
Over the past couple of years I've seen blue hoardings adorned with
the Crossrail logo in Canning Town (on Victoria Dock Road somewhere
between Royal Victoria and Custom House DLR stations), in the back
streets of Limehouse (near Westferry DLR), in the car park of
Whitechapel Sainsbury's (just off Whitechapel Road and Cambridge
Heath
Road), and on Sutton Row (between Tottenham Court Road and Soho
Square).

They all seemed to be test digs of some sort - I did see some holes,
albeit small ones.

There's one in Charterhouse Square, too, I noticed the other evening.

I remember a Crossrail branded hoarding in Charterhouse Sq (and one in
the Barbican gardens) in 1990. Call me a pessimist...

Any idea what the 1990 hoardings were for?

I've seen test digs outside my work (Farringdon/Cowcross Street) and
outside my old flat (Whitechapel/Durward Street) over the last couple
of months. According to the leaflet that came through the door in
Whitechapel these are geological surveys, hence the large derricks
behind the hoardings.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old April 24th 09, 09:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 24, 8:37*am, wrote:

On Apr 21, 9:18*pm, Rupert Candy
wrote:

[snip list of Crossrail survey locations]

They all seemed to be test digs of some sort - I did see some holes,
albeit small ones.

There's one in Charterhouse Square, too, I noticed the other evening.

I remember a Crossrail branded hoarding in Charterhouse Sq (and one in
the Barbican gardens) in 1990. Call me a pessimist...

Any idea what the 1990 hoardings were for?

I think they were for exactly the same thing as they are today, i.e.
geological surveys as you more properly referred to them, or 'test
digs' as I rather sloppily referred to them!

There were some pretty serious noises being made around that time with
regards to Crossrail by NSE and LU. Who knows, if NSE hadn't been
split up then perhaps, just perhaps, Crossrail may have been with us a
bit sooner. Maybe.

I've seen test digs outside my work (Farringdon/Cowcross Street) and
outside my old flat (Whitechapel/Durward Street) over the last couple
of months. According to the leaflet that came through the door in
Whitechapel these are geological surveys, hence the large derricks
behind the hoardings.

Yes, derricks seen at each of the locations I mentioned earlier.
Old April 26th 09, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On Apr 24, 8:37 am, wrote:

On Apr 21, 9:18 pm, Rupert Candy

wrote:

[...]

Exactly. One of the star exhibits when I went to an LT Museum Acton open
day was the Crossrail EMU mockup from the early 90s, complete with
interior line diagrams. I have pics if anyone's interested...

--
Current nearest station: Beckenham Jn