Old April 29th 09, 06:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Buggy On Bus Discrimination Claim

In message ,
writes
In article 01c9c80f$742adac0$LocalHost@default,
(Michael
R N Dolbear) wrote:

There's a few issues at play here. There does appear to be an
expectation amongst a significant number of buggy-wielding bus users
that they can - or should always be able to - get on a bus without
folding the buggy up. This is daft - those with kids in buggies should
be prepared to evict the little'un from said buggy and fold it up when
getting on the bus. I reckon it's also fair to say that babies in
prams should take priority over buggies - and of course wheelchair
users take priority over both (there is enough space in most buses for
a wheelchair and a buggy/pram though).

A parent, are you?

Well I'm not but I'll interject here anyway.......

Folding up a buggy containing a child who isn't yet
walking is far from simple.

I'm sure it's far from simple. However, it is sometimes *necessary*,
if the space is already occupied or if a wheelchair user needs to use
it.

There's an important distinction between "easy" and "necessary".

Especially out in the sticks with one bus an hour.

I would reiterate the story reported in the local press in North
Somerset of a driver on the 121 or 126 (each hourly) who allegedly
refused to wait *while* a mother folded a push chair as the space was
unavailable. That - if correct - is just plain bonkers. But for all
we know she might have refused to fold it.

These stories, even the ones reported here, have a tendency to get
mangled.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK