Old April 29th 09, 06:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Default Buggy On Bus Discrimination Claim

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
"Batman55" wrote:

I seem to recall that the sign on an RT said something like " one folded
pram may be placed under the stairs at the conductor's discretion". We all
seemed to manage and there were many fewer cars then.

People travelled less then, and were prepared to walk much further.

So what was your point, exactly?

The paragraph you omitted.

MaxB

Old April 29th 09, 06:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

In message , asdf
writes
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:42:59 +0100, Ian Jelf wrote:

We travelled back from Valetta to Qawra one day on a crowded bus [1]
where a child literally screamed his head off to the point where we were
ready to do the same ourselves

Why - didn't he stop screaming once his head had come off?

Grin

Sadly not!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old April 29th 09, 06:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
This surprised me:

Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

In New Zealand they used to have hooks on the front of both trams and buses.
The baby came out of the pram/buggy which was then hooked on the front of
the vehicle. You can still see it happening on the Christchurch (heritage)
tramway which runs around the city centre. There are (perhaps naturally)
stories of babies being left in the prams but I have no idea how true they
are.

Old April 29th 09, 06:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
writes
In article 01c9c80f$742adac0$LocalHost@default,
(Michael
R N Dolbear) wrote:

There's a few issues at play here. There does appear to be an
expectation amongst a significant number of buggy-wielding bus users
that they can - or should always be able to - get on a bus without
folding the buggy up. This is daft - those with kids in buggies should
be prepared to evict the little'un from said buggy and fold it up when
getting on the bus. I reckon it's also fair to say that babies in
prams should take priority over buggies - and of course wheelchair
users take priority over both (there is enough space in most buses for
a wheelchair and a buggy/pram though).

A parent, are you?

Well I'm not but I'll interject here anyway.......

Folding up a buggy containing a child who isn't yet
walking is far from simple.

I'm sure it's far from simple. However, it is sometimes *necessary*,
if the space is already occupied or if a wheelchair user needs to use
it.

There's an important distinction between "easy" and "necessary".

Especially out in the sticks with one bus an hour.

I would reiterate the story reported in the local press in North
Somerset of a driver on the 121 or 126 (each hourly) who allegedly
refused to wait *while* a mother folded a push chair as the space was
unavailable. That - if correct - is just plain bonkers. But for all
we know she might have refused to fold it.

These stories, even the ones reported here, have a tendency to get
mangled.

Old April 29th 09, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

On Apr 29, 7:59*am, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

This surprised me:

Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

In New Zealand they used to have hooks on the front of both trams and buses.
The baby came out of the pram/buggy which was then hooked on the front of
the vehicle. * You can still see it happening on the Christchurch (heritage)
tramway which runs around the city centre. * There are (perhaps naturally)
stories of babies being left in the prams but I have no idea how true they
are.

When I first read that I though you meant they hooked the baby to the
front of the bus

Neill

Old April 29th 09, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(Michael R N Dolbear) wrote:

[...]

I could regale the group with the hassle my daughter has had trying to get
her daughter to a rural location for a support group of hers. Once she got
dumped by the side of a country road having been carried past her stop.
Eventually she got some sort of apology from Stagecoach.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 29th 09, 09:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 09:42:59AM +0100, Ian Jelf wrote:

Now, I *have* heard stories of drivers refusing to wait *while* a mother
folded a buggy (First 121 or 126 in Somerset, for reference)

Given the age it takes parents to unload all the stuff they hang off a
buggy, unload the child, and then unclip half a dozen safety catches,
that makes sense.

Back when I were a lad, my parents carried Baby Stuff in a bag on their
person, and could fold the buggy with a single sharp kick in the right
place.

Support terrierism! Adopt a dog today!
Old April 29th 09, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 18:37:09 on Tue,
28 Apr 2009, Ian Jelf remarked:
People travelled less then, and were prepared to walk much further.

While I would agree that people walked further, I would dispute that
people travelled less per se.

When I was growing up, a 50 mile trip from one side of London to the other
[albeit by car] was something you'd plan on taking most of the day.

Why, did you have to push it?

I'm of a similar age to you and we used to drive across/into London often.
This is not something I would even contemplate doing now (we go around!)

Driving 150 miles to a holiday resort was a once-a-year thing.

Agreed, but that was because we could only afford the holiday camp once a
year, not because of any problems with the journey.

tim

Old April 29th 09, 09:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Folding up a buggy containing a child who isn't yet
walking is far from simple.

Nah! Kids fold in the middle for just this purpose.

Can YOU put your foot in your mouth?

runs for cover

:-)

--
Brian

Old April 29th 09, 11:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Ian Jelf wrote:

I'm sure it's far from simple. However, it is sometimes *necessary*

And if you have twins, as we do? They're not in a buggy now but I can
assure you that's there no way you can juggle two babies and fold a
large buggy up.

E.