Old July 11th 09, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] Mait001@aol.com is offline

Default Another Oyster problem

On Jul 11, 10:02�pm, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 09:40:46 -0700 (PDT), Mr Thant

wrote:
TfL call it the "maximum cash fare", and the principle is that there's
a discount from this for using the system correctly (touching in and
out in the specified time, etc). Since the price of a single ticket is
indeed �4, I can't imagine a challenge would be too successful.

Prompted by this I looked up the fare tables and zone maps; travelling
from Canary Wharf to Paddington I could save significantly by avoiding
zone 1. �Warwick Avenue (0.8 miles from Paddington) or St John's Wood
(2 miles but on the Jubilee so no change) are in zone 2, but the
journey to either would involve overground. �Is there a touch
necessary during transfer to overground? �I am guessing TPTB are not
so dim as to assume that alighting in zone 2 means you got there
without passing through the centre, when journeys avoiding zone 1 are
very much the long way round.

Guy
--http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

And that's another thing that's been bothering me: if I travel from
Zone 2 to Zone 3 (e.g. Fulham Broadway to Stratford), does the Oyster
system assume I have travelled via Zone 1, when it is possible to do
that journey without entering Zone 1 at all? If so, why should I be
penalised in that way?

Marc.