Old July 13th 09, 12:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default 378s to be unveiled today - BBC

On Jul 13, 12:29*pm, Neil Williams wrote:
On Jul 13, 12:14*pm, John B wrote:

Eh? On 3+2 trains like (most) 319s and (all?) 321s, there's nowhere to
stand where you're not in the way of *everyone*. On narrow-seat wide-
aisle 2+2 trains like the LO 313s and the SWT 455s, you can stand in
the aisle and there's still room for people to go past you. Surely
that's an improvement...?

That is, but longitudinal is not - I find that being right in front of
people feels a lot more "in the way" than by the side of a (2+2) seat.

Each to their own, I guess - having spent a few years commuting on the
deep Tube, I've no problem with standing in front of people
longitudinally. Which is lucky, as otherwise I'd doubtless have been
lynched by angry 'MOVE DOWN THE CAR!"-ers. I suspect most of LO's
North London-dwelling audience will have a similar take on matters...

A way to avoid this would be 3+2 in 2/3 of the coach and no seating at
all in the other third, thus giving (like the SWT 455s) a large
standback area by the doors. *Twice the size of the SWT ones may be
better.

I really don't think 3+2 would be appropriate anywhere, given the
2+2 plus wider door standing areas might also have worked.

DIGRESSION: anyone know whether the 378s are actually running today?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org