Old July 23rd 09, 06:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Stations named after commercial entities

wrote in message

Roland Perry wrote:

In message
,
at 06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "
remarked:

I see that the DLR has "Custom House for ExCel", the latter being
somewhere that might not survive in its current form during an
extended recession.

Why would that be a problem any more than the fact that there hasn't
been a working Customs House there for ages either?

The Customs House still exists I presume (just like the Royal
Exchange I was in yesterday, but re-purposed). The Custom House is
much less likely to disappear than ExCel is to be turned into
something completely different with a new name, after people give up
trying to run trade shows in a falling consumer market.

But the ExCel site could still physically exist, even if it was used
for something else. Just like the Custom House. What's the
difference? Why shouldn't the ExCel lend its name to the station and
the area, just like the Custom House did before it?

But the ExCel complex would be renamed if someone else took it over,
unlike Custom House.