Old July 27th 09, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Oyster-only gates

On Jul 27, 6:21*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
I had a paper ticket today and one of the gates at KX tube wouldn't
accept my ticket into the slot. A commuter pointed out that it was an
"Oyster only" gate - indicated merely by the dim green LCD that you
don't need to look at, if you have a paper ticket. Are these gates
common/recent?

Normally that's only the case when the ticket-reading part of a gate
fails but the Oyster-reading part remains intact (which is relatively
common, as the Oyster reading mechanism is electronic and fairly
robust, whereas the ticket reading mechanism is mechanical and
painfully complicated). I'm not aware of any permanently Oyster-only
gates at KXSP or elsewhere - anyone?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org