Old July 27th 09, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster-only gates

I had a paper ticket today and one of the gates at KX tube wouldn't
accept my ticket into the slot. A commuter pointed out that it was an
"Oyster only" gate - indicated merely by the dim green LCD that you
don't need to look at, if you have a paper ticket. Are these gates
common/recent?

Old July 27th 09, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 27, 6:21*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
I had a paper ticket today and one of the gates at KX tube wouldn't
accept my ticket into the slot. A commuter pointed out that it was an
"Oyster only" gate - indicated merely by the dim green LCD that you
don't need to look at, if you have a paper ticket. Are these gates
common/recent?

Normally that's only the case when the ticket-reading part of a gate
fails but the Oyster-reading part remains intact (which is relatively
common, as the Oyster reading mechanism is electronic and fairly
robust, whereas the ticket reading mechanism is mechanical and
painfully complicated). I'm not aware of any permanently Oyster-only
gates at KXSP or elsewhere - anyone?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old July 27th 09, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:20:56 -0700 (PDT), John B wrote:

I had a paper ticket today and one of the gates at KX tube wouldn't
accept my ticket into the slot. A commuter pointed out that it was an
"Oyster only" gate - indicated merely by the dim green LCD that you
don't need to look at, if you have a paper ticket. Are these gates
common/recent?

Normally that's only the case when the ticket-reading part of a gate
fails but the Oyster-reading part remains intact (which is relatively
common, as the Oyster reading mechanism is electronic and fairly
robust, whereas the ticket reading mechanism is mechanical and
painfully complicated).

More because the paper-ticket mechanisms in the 3rd-generation gates
(like at KXSP) are rubbish and seem to break down constantly.

The ones in the 1st- and 2nd-gen gates are much more reliable. (I
don't think I've ever encountered a failed paper-ticket mechanism in a
1st-gen (pneumatic) gate - they don't make 'em like they used to.)
Old July 27th 09, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
I had a paper ticket today and one of the gates at KX tube wouldn't accept
my ticket into the slot. A commuter pointed out that it was an "Oyster
only" gate - indicated merely by the dim green LCD that you don't need to
look at, if you have a paper ticket. Are these gates common/recent?

There are usually one or two on the plat. 15-19 line at Victoria, but the
staff there make it very obvious the paper ticket slot is inactive by
wrapping it with yellow tape. I think I've seen a gate that only accepts
paper tickets there as well.
--
D A Stocks

Old July 27th 09, 07:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 19:48:28 +0100, David A Stocks wrote:

I had a paper ticket today and one of the gates at KX tube wouldn't accept
my ticket into the slot. A commuter pointed out that it was an "Oyster
only" gate - indicated merely by the dim green LCD that you don't need to
look at, if you have a paper ticket. Are these gates common/recent?

There are usually one or two on the plat. 15-19 line at Victoria, but the
staff there make it very obvious the paper ticket slot is inactive by
wrapping it with yellow tape. I think I've seen a gate that only accepts
paper tickets there as well.

On LU the staff have rectangular blue stickers saying "Oyster Only"
that they can tape across the ticket slot. I've also seen a circular
yellow sticker that looks like an Oyster reader with a red border and
line through it, stuck on a gate's defective Oyster reader.

Old July 27th 09, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 27 July, 20:46, asdf wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 19:48:28 +0100, David A Stocks wrote:
I had a paper ticket today and one of the gates at KX tube wouldn't accept
my ticket into the slot. A commuter pointed out that it was an "Oyster
only" gate - indicated merely by the dim green LCD that you don't need to
look at, if you have a paper ticket. Are these gates common/recent?

There are usually one or two on the plat. 15-19 line at Victoria, but the
staff there make it very obvious the paper ticket slot is inactive by
wrapping it with yellow tape. I think I've seen a gate that only accepts
paper tickets there as well.

On LU the staff have rectangular blue stickers saying "Oyster Only"
that they can tape across the ticket slot. I've also seen a circular
yellow sticker that looks like an Oyster reader with a red border and
line through it, stuck on a gate's defective Oyster reader.

A couple of years ago I exited the NR part of Vauxhall, where a couple
of the gates were "Oyster only" and then entered the LU part of
Vauxhall where one of the gates was "paper tickets only".

Maybe it was because the bit that gets used most wears out?
Old July 27th 09, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:46:01 on
Mon, 27 Jul 2009, asdf remarked:
I had a paper ticket today and one of the gates at KX tube wouldn't accept
my ticket into the slot. A commuter pointed out that it was an "Oyster
only" gate - indicated merely by the dim green LCD that you don't need to
look at, if you have a paper ticket. Are these gates common/recent?

There are usually one or two on the plat. 15-19 line at Victoria, but the
staff there make it very obvious the paper ticket slot is inactive by
wrapping it with yellow tape. I think I've seen a gate that only accepts
paper tickets there as well.

On LU the staff have rectangular blue stickers saying "Oyster Only"
that they can tape across the ticket slot. I've also seen a circular
yellow sticker that looks like an Oyster reader with a red border and
line through it, stuck on a gate's defective Oyster reader.

This one wasn't marked at all (other than the LCD display). I wondered
if it was deliberate because it was the end one in the line (in the
middle of complete row) and because the commuter scolded me very
rapidly.
Old July 28th 09, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 July, 21:34, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I use KX LU (both tube and western ticket halls) daily, with my paper
season ticket. It's not uncommon to find my ticket not being accepted
by the slot (by which I mean I try to insert my ticket but it doesn't
get taken up by the rollers). As others have reported, these ticket
gates are remarkably unreliable. There's usually at least one gate
with the card slot taped over as a reult.

PaulO

Old July 28th 09, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 05:13:18 -0700 (PDT), Paul Oter
wrote:

[...]

Congestion would be avoided if LU could invest in some portable high
level "Oyster Only" signs to be erected over part-failed gates -
customers would then know in advance which gates to avoid insteadof
having to rudely push their way into an adjacent gate queue.
,

--
Peter Lawrence