Old July 27th 09, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster-only gates

On 27 July, 20:46, asdf wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 19:48:28 +0100, David A Stocks wrote:
I had a paper ticket today and one of the gates at KX tube wouldn't accept
my ticket into the slot. A commuter pointed out that it was an "Oyster
only" gate - indicated merely by the dim green LCD that you don't need to
look at, if you have a paper ticket. Are these gates common/recent?

There are usually one or two on the plat. 15-19 line at Victoria, but the
staff there make it very obvious the paper ticket slot is inactive by
wrapping it with yellow tape. I think I've seen a gate that only accepts
paper tickets there as well.

On LU the staff have rectangular blue stickers saying "Oyster Only"
that they can tape across the ticket slot. I've also seen a circular
yellow sticker that looks like an Oyster reader with a red border and
line through it, stuck on a gate's defective Oyster reader.

A couple of years ago I exited the NR part of Vauxhall, where a couple
of the gates were "Oyster only" and then entered the LU part of
Vauxhall where one of the gates was "paper tickets only".

Maybe it was because the bit that gets used most wears out?