Old August 1st 09, 11:06 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Andy Andy is offline

Default More sweaty armpits on the new Overground stock

On Jul 31, 7:48*pm, D7666 wrote:
On Jul 31, 4:12*pm, 1506 wrote:

If they would fit the loading guage, these trains would seem ideal for
District and Circle Lines.

nitpick

As I understand the term, a 378 does fit the loading gauge ... because
the term loading gauge refers to the train itself ... so a 378 always
fits itself )

The comment I think should be ... if 378s would fit the SSL structure
gauge with sufficient clearance.

However, it is a Friday and I have a reputation of pedant to
maintain ... and I knew exactly what you meant )

/ nitpick

Isn't it the case that the loading gauge is the maximum size of train
allowed to fit with the structure gauge. A train has to fit the
defined loading gauge for the route and this means it will
automatically within the structure gauge (plus clearance). So in the
UK we have routes being modifed to a W9 or W10 loading gauge for the
passage of the larger (9'6") shipping containers. In some places this
modification can be as simple as introducing a speed restriction
through a tight spot.