Old September 10th 09, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Bill Hayles Bill Hayles is offline

Default Brompton Road to re-open?

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 19:28:26 +0100, Steve Fitzgerald ]
wrote:

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
I think we need some lessons from Spaniards who seem to be able to
build new tram, Metro, rail and High Speed lines in about 3 years from
start to finish - even where they had to be driven through existing
city centres and link to existing lines. Progress in Madrid and
Barcelona seems very impressive - one day I'll get to see for myself.

Hmmmm

Having just spent 4 days in Madrid, the place is like a building site -
and a very unpleasant one at that.

Arrival at Barcelona this afternoon just reinforces my assertion that
they are currently rebuilding Spain.

It's all to do with the recession. The bottom has dropped out of the
domestic housing market (especially that catering mainly for foreigners)
and so the building industry has a surfeit of workers of all skill
levels desperate for jobs at any salary; hence the civic projects can be
carried out more cheaply, and are being pushed ahead whilst the
situation lasts.

There are some Spanish practices the rest of Europe could learn from
(but then I'm biased, as Spain is my adopted country).

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com