Old November 21st 09, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Quiztime

strictly a bridge is "a
structure that allows people or vehicles to cross an obstacle such as a
river or canal or railway etc"

The bridge I have in mind was built in 2004. It is not over an inlet,
outlet, creek or dock, but is over the main flow of the Thames.

So it allows people or vehicles to cross an obstacle, and it is over
the main flow of the Thames.
It clearly doesn't allow them to cross the Thames, since both its ends
are on the same side, so it must allow people or vehicles to cross
something else.

My guess is there is some section of the Thames Path which is
cantilevered over the river to get round something.

Old November 21st 09, 01:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Is it the Canary Wharf to West India Quay pedestrian bridge ?

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the same
side of The Thames?

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old November 21st 09, 01:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

nefletch wrote:
"Basil Jet" wrote in message

Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the
same side of The Thames?

Is it the Canary Wharf to West India Quay pedestrian bridge ?

No. It's not Lulu either.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old November 21st 09, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 20, 10:15*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.5...F8&ll=51.51207...

Goodness me, I wouldn't want to rely on the "road map" that's overlaid
on the image (especially to the right end of that bridge).

PhilD

Old November 21st 09, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009, PhilD wrote:

On Nov 20, 10:15*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.5...F8&ll=51.51207...

Goodness me, I wouldn't want to rely on the "road map" that's overlaid
on the image (especially to the right end of that bridge).

I've got a mate who swears by Google's road maps.

Mind you, he drives a bulldozer.

tom

--
Ten years of radio astronomy have taught humanity more about the creation
and organization of the universe than thousands of years of religion

Old November 22nd 09, 12:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:01:38 -0800 (PST), MIG wrote:

Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the
same side of The Thames?

Well, if it wasn't for the fact that this is a London group, I'd guess
it was in the villages out west where some new village bypass goes
from one side of a meander to the other, but I don't know where.

Or it's a trick question. Maybe there's a pub called The Thames under
a bridge somewhere (that doesn't span the River Thames)?
Old November 22nd 09, 03:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:01:38 -0800 (PST), MIG wrote:

Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the
same side of The Thames?

Well, if it wasn't for the fact that this is a London group, I'd
guess it was in the villages out west where some new village bypass
goes from one side of a meander to the other, but I don't know where.

Or it's a trick question. Maybe there's a pub called The Thames under
a bridge somewhere (that doesn't span the River Thames)?

The wrong answers are so much better than the right one.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old November 23rd 09, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David wrote:
strictly a bridge is "a
structure that allows people or vehicles to cross an obstacle such
as a river or canal or railway etc"

The bridge I have in mind was built in 2004. It is not over an inlet,
outlet, creek or dock, but is over the main flow of the Thames.

My guess is there is some section of the Thames Path which is
cantilevered over the river to get round something.

Spot on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea...sea_Footbridge
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...01206&t=h&z=20

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old November 23rd 09, 06:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:01:20 -0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the same
side
of The Thames?

Battersea Footbridge?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ba...Footbridge.JPG

Have to hold my hand up and say I used Google with Basil's later clues to
help.
--
Fig
Old November 23rd 09, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

wrote:

Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the same
side
of The Thames?

Battersea Footbridge?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ba...Footbridge.JPG

Have to hold my hand up and say I used Google with Basil's later clues
to help.

Hurumph! Just noticed that Basil Jet posted the answer 13:43 today. Must
learn to update my feed before replying.
--
Fig