Old November 20th 09, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Quiztime

Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the same side
of The Thames?

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old November 20th 09, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Basil Jet wrote:

Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the same
side of The Thames?

Dagenham. Somewhere along there, anyway. Bound to be.

tom

--
Space Travel is Another Word for Love!
Old November 20th 09, 05:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the
same side of The Thames?

On TfL's new tube map (the one with the Thames restored)?

Old November 20th 09, 05:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:01:20 -0000, "Basil Jet"
wrote:

Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the
same side of The Thames?

wild guess

Eel Pie Island? Is the end of the bridge on the island counted as
being on the same bank as the end of bridge on the shore?

I wondered about that, but it seemed more likely to be a bridge over a
creek flowing into the Thames, which might, technically cross a sliver
of the Thames, with both ends being indubitably on the same side of the
Thames. This one at Lots Road may not be it, but there might be others
that do pass the test: www.londoncanals.co.uk/kenc/ken01.html

Old November 20th 09, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote

wrote:

Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the

same
side of The Thames?

wild guess

Eel Pie Island? Is the end of the bridge on the island counted as

being
on the same bank as the end of bridge on the shore?

There are probably lots of them, depending on what definition of "same
side" and "Thames" you choose.

Thus the two road bridges over the Desborough channel (between Walton
and Weybridge), which is the main navigation channel of the Thames,
each have both ends in Elmbridge, Surrey.

The bridge to Eel Pie Island has both ends in Middlesex and crosses a
channel of the Thames (but not the main navigation channel).

Walton Bridge or at least the bit that crosses water, has both ends in
Spelthorne, formerly Middlesex (now administratively Surrey).

Blackfriars Bridge has both ends within the boundaries of the City of
London.

--
Mike D

Old November 20th 09, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Basil Jet wrote:

Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the same
side of The Thames?

Dagenham. Somewhere along there, anyway. Bound to be.

Honestly, the lot of you can stop fussing over that piddling little stream
out west, the truth lies in the east - as i said, in mystical Dagenham:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.5...09624&t=h&z=17

There are also some structures on the south bank around Erith that might
count as bridges, although some would doubtless claim they were merely
flying promenades.

tom

--
I recently retraced on foot a famous journey that William Hazlitt made
from Shropshire to Somerset to visit Wordsworth and Coleridge. I spent
Old November 20th 09, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Basil Jet wrote:

Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the same
side of The Thames?

Dagenham. Somewhere along there, anyway. Bound to be.

Honestly, the lot of you can stop fussing over that piddling little stream
out west, the truth lies in the east - as i said, in mystical Dagenham:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.5...09624&t=h&z=17

There are also some structures on the south bank around Erith that might
count as bridges, although some would doubtless claim they were merely flying
promenades.

And, slightly less far east, at Limehouse Dock:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.5...02406&t=k&z=19

I think that patch of water might technically be the Thames, since it's
seaward of the last lock gate. But if that counts, there are loads of
bridges that do.

tom

Old November 21st 09, 02:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the
same side of The Thames?

wild guess

Eel Pie Island? Is the end of the bridge on the island counted as
being on the same bank as the end of bridge on the shore?

I think not. I made a special effort to word the question so that the Eel
Pie Island bridge wouldn't qualify... maybe I failed...

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old November 21st 09, 03:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Basil Jet wrote:

Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the
same side of The Thames?

Dagenham. Somewhere along there, anyway. Bound to be.

Honestly, the lot of you can stop fussing over that piddling little
stream out west, the truth lies in the east - as i said, in mystical
Dagenham:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.5...09624&t=h&z=17

Ooh, that's good, definite bonus points. However, strictly a bridge is "a
structure that allows people or vehicles to cross an obstacle such as a
river or canal or railway etc" And that thing is not a bridge for getting
from Dagenham to Dagenham but two bridges linking Dagenham to the ship.

There are also some structures on the south bank around Erith that
might count as bridges, although some would doubtless claim they
were merely flying promenades.

And, slightly less far east, at Limehouse Dock:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.5...02406&t=k&z=19

I think that patch of water might technically be the Thames, since
it's seaward of the last lock gate. But if that counts, there are
loads of bridges that do.

The bridge I have in mind was built in 2004. It is not over an inlet,
outlet, creek or dock, but is over the main flow of the Thames.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old November 21st 09, 06:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

Where is there a bridge over The Thames which has both ends on the
same side of The Thames?

wild guess

Eel Pie Island? *Is the end of the bridge on the island counted as
being on the same bank as the end of bridge on the shore?

I think not. I made a special effort to word the question so that the Eel
Pie Island bridge wouldn't qualify... maybe I failed...

Well, if it wasn't for the fact that this is a London group, I'd guess
it was in the villages out west where some new village bypass goes
from one side of a meander to the other, but I don't know where.