Old December 1st 09, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Underground line?

I looked at the new entrance to the tube at King's Cross this afternoon
and took a picture, uploaded to www.rosenstiel.co.uk/kxnewtube,jpg.

They seem to have created a new Underground line, the "City" line. The
sign directs passengers: "Underground - Circle, City, Hammersmith and
Metropolitan".

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old December 1st 09, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I looked at the new entrance to the tube at King's Cross this afternoon
and took a picture, uploaded to
www.rosenstiel.co.uk/kxnewtube,jpg.

They seem to have created a new Underground line, the "City" line. The
sign directs passengers: "Underground - Circle, City, Hammersmith and
Metropolitan".

Corrected URL: www.rosenstiel.co.uk/kxnewtube.jpg Knew that stealth tunnel
project would eventually get outed....
Old December 2nd 09, 02:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Dec, 00:02, Robert Neville wrote:
wrote:
I looked at the new entrance to the tube at King's Cross this afternoon
and took a picture, uploaded towww.rosenstiel.co.uk/kxnewtube,jpg.

They seem to have created a new Underground line, the "City" line. The
sign directs passengers: "Underground - Circle, City, Hammersmith and
Metropolitan".

Corrected URL:www.rosenstiel.co.uk/kxnewtube.jpgKnew that stealth tunnel
project would eventually get outed....

Some urls are much harder to get right than others.
Old December 2nd 09, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 2, 12:02*am, Robert Neville wrote:
wrote:
I looked at the new entrance to the tube at King's Cross this afternoon
and took a picture, uploaded towww.rosenstiel.co.uk/kxnewtube,jpg.

They seem to have created a new Underground line, the "City" line. The
sign directs passengers: "Underground - Circle, City, Hammersmith and
Metropolitan".

Corrected URL:www.rosenstiel.co.uk/kxnewtube.jpgKnew that stealth tunnel
project would eventually get outed....

In fairness, that row of text does not say "line", so I wonder if
somewhere during the production stage it was intended to be
"Hammersmith this way; the circle this way; the city this way" etc.,
but the implementation has gone awry? Either way, as you imply it's
incorrect (and inconsistent).

What's with the cable tray? It looks like something that should be
hidden away, but got forgotten until too late!

PhilD

Old December 2nd 09, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

PhilD wrote:

What's with the cable tray? It looks like something that should be
hidden away, but got forgotten until too late!

That picture is a view from the Kings Cross mainline concourse. Kings Cross
is still a building site at ground level, hence the cable tray...

Paul S

Old December 2nd 09, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
I looked at the new entrance to the tube at King's Cross this afternoon
and took a picture, uploaded towww.rosenstiel.co.uk/kxnewtube,jpg.

They seem to have created a new Underground line, the "City" line. The
sign directs passengers: "Underground - Circle, City, Hammersmith and
Metropolitan".

Corrected URL:www.rosenstiel.co.uk/kxnewtube.jpgKnewthat stealth tunnel
project would eventually get outed....

In fairness, that row of text does not say "line", so I wonder if
somewhere during the production stage it was intended to be
"Hammersmith this way; the circle this way; the city this way" etc.,
but the implementation has gone awry? *Either way, as you imply it's
incorrect (and inconsistent).

I think somebody told the signwriter that underground lines had to be
presented in alphabetical order, and the signwriter, seeing

Circle, Hammersmith and City and Metropolitan

on his brief, and not knowing that the H&C was a single line,
corrected it to what you see there.
Old December 2nd 09, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Corrected URL:http://www.rosenstiel.co.uk/kxnewtub...newthatstealth tunnel
project would eventually get outed....

In fairness, that row of text does not say "line", so I wonder if
somewhere during the production stage it was intended to be
"Hammersmith this way; the circle this way; the city this way" etc.,
but the implementation has gone awry? *Either way, as you imply it's
incorrect (and inconsistent).

I think somebody told the signwriter that underground lines had to be
presented in alphabetical order, and the signwriter, seeing

Circle, Hammersmith and City and Metropolitan

on his brief, and not knowing that the H&C was a single line,
corrected it to what you see there.

Still, the NR signwriter at KX did a slightly less absurd job than
whoever is responsible for LC&R's pathetic attempts at signage in the
tunnel between the new ticket hall and St Pancras: currently you get
sent in opposite directions for "UK Rail" and "Southeastern"!

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old December 2nd 09, 07:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
04:23:48 on Wed, 2 Dec 2009, John B remarked:

Still, the NR signwriter at KX did a slightly less absurd job than
whoever is responsible for LC&R's pathetic attempts at signage in the
tunnel between the new ticket hall and St Pancras: currently you get
sent in opposite directions for "UK Rail" and "Southeastern"!

Here's a picture of the signage at the northern exit from St Pancras.

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/st-pan...igns-north.jpg

You'll note there's no mention of the UndergrounD in any of the classic
"St Pancras" signs. They've added a floor-standing sign (detail shown)
that suggests people go "straight on", which almost everyone will
probably interpret as going to the left of the sign then outside.

To get here from the MML platforms you encounter a temporary sign at the
bottom of the escalators that says[listing the lines] to go straight
ahead for subsurface, do a u-turn for the tubes.

Very similar to this one which greets you at the bottom of the
escalators from the Southeastern platforms:

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/turn-back-for-tube.jpg [1]

But then you are on your own.

The next sign is a "St Pancras" one hanging from the ceiling in the area
vaguely outside the FCC ticket office, that suggests you need to go back
the way you came for the Underground.

If you ignore that, and turn right along the cross-passage, eventually
you get to what's pictured above.

Outside the window is a view of the new roof under construction for the
KX ticket hall. On the very left is the lift from the Southeastern
platforms, which also goes down to the below-ground passageway to the
northern ticket hall. That lift is *not* on the "lift maps" inside the
tube station.

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/unmarked-lift.jpg

[1] In this case, if you look behind you, then there *is* a classic
StPancras sign showing the Underground, so they can do it if they want
to...

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/stp-so...escalators.jpg

The other legends (sorry about the blurring) are "Lift" x2, "UK Rail
Tickets" x2 and "Platforms 11-13 Southeastern".
Old December 2nd 09, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 2, 12:11*pm, wrote:
(PhilD) wrote:
What's with the cable tray? *It looks like something that should be
hidden away, but got forgotten until too late!

They're all over King's Cross at present. I assume they are temporary
cable routes during the rebuilding work.

Thanks (and to Paul S). Perhaps somewhat naively, I thought the
building work was complete now that the site is open to the public.
Having a temporary cable route makes sense if it's not finished yet.

PhilD