Old December 6th 09, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR new station

In message
,
SamB writes
On Dec 5, 10:37*am, Paul G wrote:
In message , Paul G
writes

In message , Paul Terry
writes
In message
,
PhilD writes

I've read that South Quay station was "moved" recently (OK, not
actually moved, but replaced, but you know what I mean).

What I haven't ascertained though is which way? *Towards Canary Wharf,
or towards Lewisham?

About 125 yards east, towards Canary Wharf. It was done because the
reverse curves on the track prevented the original platforms being
extended for three-car units. It's now on the straight section south
of Admirals Way.

Yes east, but that is away from Canary Wharf, not to it.

Apologies, west (not east!, late-night-ness error detected), away from
Canary Wharf.

--
Paul G
Typing from Barking

No, east, away from Canary Wharf! This has all got rather confusing.
It's further along towards Crossharbour, anyway

red face now why did I momentarily assume east is left/ Never Eat
Shredded Wheat, Never Eat Shredded Wheat...

I'll go back to lurking for the time being rather than map reading

Old December 7th 09, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 15:54:27 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
There's no way that it would have been built at all had the original
plan been to build what's now there. It was only because it was so cheap
that the plan went ahead.

Well yes, as I said, they probably didn't want to take the risk to spend
a huge amount of money on a transport system to an undeveloped area. If they
really wanted to put proper transport links in first they'd have extended a
tube line to start with and the DLR would never have existed.

But I wouldn't describe what's been done since then as 'patch and
mend' -- it includes a well-engineered deep level station under Bank,

A station at Bank that effectivley replaced Tower Gateway - an on the cheap
station that didn't really go where people wanted unless they happened to
commute from Fenchurch Street.

two double river tunnel crossings, four new links to mainline rail
stations (including the as-yet unopened Stratford International), a
pretty spectacular grade-separated junction at West India Quay and an
excellent airport station (the most convenient in the UK?). The many
extension projects have all been very well managed, too. Probably the
only compromised bit is the under-sized box for Cutty Sark station.

You're forgetting about:

- The endless track remodelling at Poplar (how many times have they done that
now?)
- The retro fitting of Pudding Mill Lane station
- The remodelling of the stratford terminus to take more than 1 train
- The knocking down of the original Mudchute and Island Gardens sations
only 15 years after they were built
- The moving of South Quay

Thats the sort of thing you'd expect to happen over the course of a century
on most railways, not in the space of 20 years so if thats not a case of
patch and mend due to lack of money/foresight back in the 80s then I don't
know what is.

B2003

Old December 7th 09, 04:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 7 Dec, 10:00, wrote:
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 15:54:27 -0000

"Recliner" wrote:
[...]

You forgot to mention that the "well-engineered deep level station
under Bank" included escalators that had to be replaced after
seventeen years.
Old December 7th 09, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in message

You forgot to mention that the "well-engineered deep level station
under Bank" included escalators that had to be replaced after
seventeen years.

That beats a lot of other new escalators!

Old December 7th 09, 05:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, MIG
writes

The first picture is "The Old South Quay station viewed from the new".

Well, it doesn't look like that today. It may not look totally
temporary in that picture,

It wasn't "temporary" - it was in service for 17 years.

but it's gone.

I guess that's why the photographer took the opportunity to record the
image, before it was too late!
--
Paul Terry

Old December 7th 09, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 7 Dec, 18:54, Paul Terry wrote:
In message
, MIG
writes

The first picture is "The Old South Quay station viewed from the new".

Well, it doesn't look like that today. *It may not look totally
temporary in that picture,

It wasn't "temporary" - it was in service for 17 years.

Well, exactly, hence the speed of its disapearance being remarkable.
Old December 7th 09, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote on 07 December 2009 19:19:43 ...
On 7 Dec, 18:54, Paul Terry wrote:
In message
, MIG
writes

The first picture is "The Old South Quay station viewed from the new".
Well, it doesn't look like that today. It may not look totally
temporary in that picture,

It wasn't "temporary" - it was in service for 17 years.

Well, exactly, hence the speed of its disapearance being remarkable.

Not that remarkable if you look at the history of railways in London.
There are many examples of stations that didn't last long because the
network was continually evolving. For example:

- Bishop's Road 1838, replaced by Paddington 1854
- Blackfriars (on the Charing Cross branch of the SER) 1864, replaced
by Waterloo Junction (now East) 1869
- Blackfriars Bridge 1864, replaced (sort of) by St Paul's (now
Blackfriars) 1886
- Westbourne Park & Kensal Green 1866, replaced by Westbourne Park 1871
- Shepherd's Bush (Met/GWR) 1864, replaced by Uxbridge Road 1869
- Earl's Court 1871, replaced by the current station further west 1878.

(Thanks to Joe Brown's London Railway Atlas for all the above info.)
--
Richard J.
Old December 8th 09, 06:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 7 Dec, 21:26, "Richard J." wrote:
[...]

No, you misunderstand. I am not talking about how long it was in
use. I am talking about the fact that it is physically gone in a
remarkably short space of time after it was closed.
Old December 8th 09, 08:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 09:56:26 -0800 (PST)
MIG wrote:
- The endless track remodelling at Poplar (how many times have they done =

that
=A0 now?)
- The retro fitting of Pudding Mill Lane station
- The remodelling of the stratford terminus to take more than 1 train
- The knocking down of the original Mudchute and Island Gardens sations
=A0 only 15 years after they were built
- The moving of South Quay

Thats the sort of thing you'd expect to happen over the course of a centu=

ry
on most railways, not in the space of 20 years so if thats not a case of
patch and mend due to lack of money/foresight back in the 80s then I don'=

know what is.

B2003

You forgot to mention that the "well-engineered deep level station
under Bank" included escalators that had to be replaced after
seventeen years.

I didn't know about that. But I did forget to mention the first batch of
trains that weren't fire resitant enough to be used in tunnels and had
rather absurd cheapo bus style doors that caused endless issues on crowded
trains and eventually had to be replaced with sliding doors.

B2003