Old November 16th 03, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The UK march agaimst Bush

In
Stimpy wrote:

kedron wrote:
But that's just a guess. It's precisely the kind of guess I suggested
you were making. Between poll tax, country alliance, cnd, anti-war,
pensioners, petrol geeks etc etc, I'd say your guess is wrong.

I'd say you're misjudging your fellow citizens.

What do the rest of you think?

I've been around for 43 years now...

Deepest sympathies.

and know no-one who has ever been on any
kind of mass demonstration. Most people I know really don't care *that*
much about the sort of things that demonstrations tend to cover -

So WHO are all these people who demonstrate?

How can you account for all those examples I provided above?

I left a few examples out -- like trade union demonstrators, animal
rights activists, environmentalists etc

People are demonstrating all the time about all manner of things,
many of which you never hear about...like this one which appeared
in the news only yesterday:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/3272961.stm

I bet you if you asked around your friends, you might be surprised.

they, like
me, are just getting on with their own lives and doing the best they can to
create a secure future for their families.

You think demonstrators don't do that as well?

Sure there are things I might feel are wrong or with which I might disagree
(in my case this would, for example, include the recent war, the Bush visit
and the fox hunting ban) but I certainly wouldn't go on a demonstration
about them - I have better things to do with my time

And I'm not denying that there are many people like you who don't
care enough about anything to want to do something about it.
Nor am I saying I agree with every demonstrator. But I do agree with
their right to demonstrate, and I believe far more people are exercising
that right than you suppose. I also believe that they can make a difference.
Like the one that's going to happen this week.

The difference between caring enough and not caring enough is a world of
a difference.

And people who don't care enough shouldn't complain should their smug
existences ever get tossed upside down -- because it will have happened
in THEIR names.

--
kedron
Old November 16th 03, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

kedron wrote:
In
Stimpy wrote:

kedron wrote:
But that's just a guess. It's precisely the kind of guess I
suggested you were making. Between poll tax, country alliance, cnd,
anti-war, pensioners, petrol geeks etc etc, I'd say your guess is
wrong.

I'd say you're misjudging your fellow citizens.

What do the rest of you think?

I've been around for 43 years now...

Deepest sympathies.

Much appreciated ;-)

and know no-one who has ever been on any
kind of mass demonstration. Most people I know really don't care
*that* much about the sort of things that demonstrations tend to
cover -

So WHO are all these people who demonstrate?

How can you account for all those examples I provided above?

I don't know and don't really care. You asked what 'the rest' of us think
and I replied. I can't really see the point in getting into an argument
about someone else views. I was only trying to be polite by answering your
question.

I bet you if you asked around your friends, you might be surprised.

Oddly enough, I was with 5 other friends last night and we discussed this
very subject, apropos the Bush visit and the ongoing hunting ban debate.
None of them had ever been on a demontrstation or would even consider it.
Other friends I have known since school and/or university would also fall
into that category.

they, like
me, are just getting on with their own lives and doing the best they
can to create a secure future for their families.

You think demonstrators don't do that as well?

Where did I say I thought that?

Sure there are things I might feel are wrong or with which I might
disagree (in my case this would, for example, include the recent
war, the Bush visit and the fox hunting ban) but I certainly
wouldn't go on a demonstration about them - I have better things to
do with my time

And I'm not denying that there are many people like you who don't
care enough about anything to want to do something about it.
Nor am I saying I agree with every demonstrator. But I do agree with
their right to demonstrate, and I believe far more people are
exercising that right than you suppose. I also believe that they can
make a difference. Like the one that's going to happen this week.

I agree. I don't recall stating I disagreed with the right to demonstrate.
I was merely posting that *I* didn't know anyone who would ever attend such
an event. Methinks you doth protest too much!

And people who don't care enough shouldn't complain should their smug
existences ever get tossed upside down -- because it will have
happened
in THEIR names.

Ah-ha... so just because I don't have the time or inclination to
demonstrate, that makes me smug does it?

Old November 16th 03, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

So WHO are all these people who demonstrate?

I think your subsequent sentence:-

trade union demonstrators, animal
rights activists, environmentalists etc

gives the answer you were seeking, i.e. the usual rent-a-mob suspects.

People are demonstrating all the time about all manner of things,

Really?

I bet you if you asked around your friends, you might be surprised.

I have already stated that, amongst my friends, NONE of them has ever been on a
demonstration. Now that I think of it, the same applies to my neighbours - the
ones that I know.

they, like
me, are just getting on with their own lives and doing the best they can to
create a secure future for their families.

You think demonstrators don't do that as well?

Not at the same time that they are demonstrating!
Which is why I started commenting on this thread: these people are most likely
going to cost me a day's pay on the day them demonstrate.

But I do agree with
their right to demonstrate, and I believe far more people are exercising
that right than you suppose.

A 100,000 or even a million or so - hardly a significant number when compared
with the population as a whole. Try as you will, all the hype against Bush and
the war cannot change the basic facts.

I also believe that they can make a difference.
Like the one that's going to happen this week.

I believe in fairies too!

The difference between caring enough and not caring enough is a world of
a difference.

Well, perhaps those of us who supported the war and wish to welcome Bush should
take a day off work and demonstrate our support for the war and him. I care
passionately about the World in which I live. The anti-Bush and anti-war
brigade do not have an exclusive on this subject.

And people who don't care enough shouldn't complain should their smug
existences ever get tossed upside down -- because it will have happened
in THEIR names.

The war did happen "in my name", which is why I take exception to those "not in
my name" twits. Just because we don't take to the streets with "in my name"
banners etc. does not mean our views are invalid or that we don't care about
the World.

Those who say "not in my name" legitimately represent nobody but themselves and
they are exaggerating their own self-importance if they claim to be speaking on
behalf of anyone else.

Marc.

Old November 16th 03, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In
Mait001 wrote:

So WHO are all these people who demonstrate?

I think your subsequent sentence:-

trade union demonstrators, animal
rights activists, environmentalists etc

gives the answer you were seeking, i.e. the usual rent-a-mob suspects.

Yeah, like pensioners. You're just a bigot. This is all about
your dumb feelings, about yobs and people you think are beneath
you -- isn't that right?

People are demonstrating all the time about all manner of things,

Really?

Aren't they?

I bet you if you asked around your friends, you might be surprised.

I have already stated that, amongst my friends, NONE of them has ever been on a
demonstration. Now that I think of it, the same applies to my neighbours - the
ones that I know.

So who are all those people? More than a million people
is just a rent-a-mob? Or do you actually want people to take what
you say seriously?

they, like
me, are just getting on with their own lives and doing the best they can to
create a secure future for their families.

You think demonstrators don't do that as well?

Not at the same time that they are demonstrating!
Which is why I started commenting on this thread: these people are most likely
going to cost me a day's pay on the day them demonstrate.

So you'd rather get your day's pay than do something to prevent thousands of
people from being slaughtered in a war, not sanctioned by the UN, and prosecuted
based on pack of lies?

Ok, so you agreed with the war -- but millions didn't. And many more
are starting to realise they were conned.

But I do agree with
their right to demonstrate, and I believe far more people are exercising
that right than you suppose.

A 100,000 or even a million or so - hardly a significant number when compared
with the population as a whole. Try as you will, all the hype against Bush and
the war cannot change the basic facts.

Not the "population as a whole". Millions couldn't demonstrate -- like children,
people who live too far away, sick people, old people, and of course people who
had no choice but to work. In the face of that, "a million or so" is a lot more
significant than you are trying to suggest.

I also believe that they can make a difference.
Like the one that's going to happen this week.

I believe in fairies too!

Tell that to the Eastern Europeans.

--
kedron
Old November 16th 03, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Which is why I started commenting on this thread: these people are most
likely
going to cost me a day's pay on the day them demonstrate.

So you'd rather get your day's pay than do something to prevent thousands of
people from being slaughtered in a war, not sanctioned by the UN, and
prosecuted
based on pack of lies?

I do not for one moment live in the cloud cuckoo-land that tells me that those
who demonstrate will " prevent thousands of people from being slaughtered in a
war".

Legal opinion is that the was was lawful and sanctioned by the United Nations.

prosecuted
based on pack of lies?

That has not (yet) been proved to be the case, but I believe, with or without
weapons of mass destruction, the war was justifiable.

Ok, so you agreed with the war -- but millions didn't. And many more
are starting to realise they were conned.

Well, just because I happen to agree with the war, as opposed to opposing it,
should I go on the streets to make my point?

Not the "population as a whole". Millions couldn't demonstrate -- like
children,
people who live too far away, sick people, old people, and of course people
who
had no choice but to work. In the face of that, "a million or so" is a lot
more
significant than you are trying to suggest.

There you go again, trying to spin a million (or whatever the actual number
was) to represent many more than just themselves. I do not accept that, but
even if they did, on your argument, represent say 10 million, that is still
hardly the population as a whole or even "the mass of the population" or
whatever other exaggeration you may care to use.

I also believe that they can make a difference.
Like the one that's going to happen this week.

I believe in fairies too!

Tell that to the Eastern Europeans.

--
kedron

The difference between the Eastern Europeans prior to the fall of the Russian
Empire was that they had NO democratic process by which to vent their views. I
do not accept that we, in the U.K. are in any way comparable to that situation.

Marc.

Old November 17th 03, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In
Mait001 wrote:

Not the "population as a whole". Millions couldn't demonstrate -- like children,
people who live too far away, sick people, old people, and of course people who
had no choice but to work. In the face of that, "a million or so" is a lot more
significant than you are trying to suggest.

There you go again, trying to spin a million (or whatever the actual number
was) to represent many more than just themselves.

What are you saying?

Are you saying this casual million, I'm spinning, represents the only people
who would have marched had they been able to, or had it been more convenient
for them to do so?

The bigots, liars and morons of this country are the real rabble.

eh?

--
kedron
Old November 17th 03, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

There you go again, trying to spin a million (or whatever the actual number
was) to represent many more than just themselves.

What are you saying?

Are you saying this casual million, I'm spinning, represents the only people
who would have marched had they been able to, or had it been more convenient
for them to do so?

The bigots, liars and morons of this country are the real rabble.

eh?

--
kedron

You cannot produce any evidence to suggest that the numbers who demonstrate(d)
represent anyone but themselves. You are attempting to extrapolate those
numbers into a much larger mass who, for one reason or another cannot, or
decided no to, demonstrate.

What I am suggesting is that, even if ten times the number did demonstrate,
that would still be nowhere near a majority of the population.

The bigots, liars and morons of this country are the real rabble.

Now you are just indulging in a rant.

Marc.
Old November 17th 03, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mait001" wrote in message

You cannot produce any evidence to suggest that the numbers who

demonstrate(d)
represent anyone but themselves. You are attempting to extrapolate those
numbers into a much larger mass who, for one reason or another cannot, or
decided no to, demonstrate.

What I am suggesting is that, even if ten times the number did

demonstrate,
that would still be nowhere near a majority of the population.

I have pointed you towards numbers being quoted by several publications.
WHile I admit that without knowing the exact questions asked these aren't
100% authoritativ, they are all we have at present.

I'd be interested if you could supply polls that suggest that the majority
of the people in this country do want to see Bush visit. Until you do that,
I'm afraid I'm going to have to stick with the only numbers we have, not
your gut instincts.

Best wishes,
Jonn

Old November 17th 03, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In
Mait001 wrote:

What are you saying?

Are you saying this casual million, I'm spinning, represents the only people
who would have marched had they been able to, or had it been more convenient
for them to do so?

You cannot produce any evidence to suggest that the numbers who demonstrate(d)
represent anyone but themselves. You are attempting to extrapolate those
numbers into a much larger mass who, for one reason or another cannot, or
decided no to, demonstrate.

There is sufficient information by way of polls, both before and after the war, to get
the measure of public opinion.

Before the war, a pro-war majority was predicated on UN support -- without it,
pro-war opinion was about 25%. Post war, support has fluctuated, but the country
is pretty much split down the middle. (A substantial majority of the public now
believe they were lied to). That's what the polls have said -- not your feelings.

If now half the country does not support the military action that was taken, are
you then asserting that none of that anti-war opinion has any support for the
demonstrators?

--
kedron