Old November 16th 03, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The Singing Tracks at Turnham Green

To change the subject slightly, there is a similar "singing" sound from
the overhead power lines at Ealing Broadway station; at least, that's
where it appears to be coming from. It is constant, i.e. it doesn't
start up just when a train is approaching, and it is quite loud. I
haven't noticed it on other lines with overhead electrification, so I
wonder what is causing it?

I was there the other day, and wondering what the strange noise was. It
seemed to me to be more of a beeping than a singing though.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do

Old November 17th 03, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Steve Dulieu" wrote in message

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
jasonr (Jason Rumney) @ f2s.com wrote:

I can definitely hear
the difference between District line trains and North
London line trains at Gunnersbury.

Perhaps someone should release a "Best Of" album?

Please, not even in jest...

Has anyone else seen that "Trains In Trouble" album, with the sounds of
various steam engines trying to pull too many carriages up various steep
inclines?

Thats what I was (very obliquely) refering to. I used to work for Polygram
and had to listen to the masters of the damm thing (My memory may be failing
me, but wasn't there a series of them?) umpty times checking for
manufacturing errors. Just the memory brings me out in a cold sweat...
--
Cheers, Steve.
If The Good Lord had meant for us to be fiscally prudent, He would not have

Old November 17th 03, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ealing Broadway. When I am at Turnham Green, I have noticed that the
tracks make strange noises when either a Piccadilly or a District
train is approaching. No matter how fast the incoming train is
traveling, the tracks twang, rattle and vibrate like huge springs are
being snapped back and forth. Once the train has passed by, the sound

I am not sure we are talking about the same noise, but I know something like
what you describe can be heard very well on the District Line east bound at
West Ham. Get off a train and wait for the next one to Barking or
Upminster...

Old November 19th 03, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Spyke wrote in message ...

To change the subject slightly, there is a similar "singing" sound from
the overhead power lines at Ealing Broadway station; at least, that's
where it appears to be coming from. It is constant, i.e. it doesn't
start up just when a train is approaching, and it is quite loud. I
haven't noticed it on other lines with overhead electrification, so I
wonder what is causing it?

I was there the other day, and wondering what the strange noise was. It
seemed to me to be more of a beeping than a singing though.

The singing noise comes from a box in the six foot on the main lines
that looks like a cable termination box - I suspect it's a Tuning Unit
for TI21 jointless track circuits, having seen a similar one in the
National Railway Supplies catalogue. The purpose is to cause the
circuit to resonate at the defined operating frequency which is in the
audio range, and they are installed at track circuit boundaries.
Old November 20th 03, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Thomas Crame wrote:

The singing noise comes from a box in the six foot on the main lines
that looks like a cable termination box - I suspect it's a Tuning Unit
for TI21 jointless track circuits, having seen a similar one in the
National Railway Supplies catalogue. The purpose is to cause the
circuit to resonate at the defined operating frequency which is in the
audio range, and they are installed at track circuit boundaries.

Thank you for the explanation.

--
John Ray, London UK.

Mail to mefp49 is unlikely to be read. I can be contacted at xcf70 (same
ISP).