Old February 21st 07, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Turnham Green 24/25 February

Because of engineering works, there are no District Line trains between
Turnham Green and Acton Town this weekend (24/25 Feb). LU have
announced that Piccadilly Line trains will call at Turnham Green
throughout the weekend.

Does anyone have access to the relevant Traffic Circular? I'm
interested to know whether the Picc will run a less frequent service
than usual in order to cope with the extra stop, as the signalling at TG
can't support the normal range of headways if all trains stop there.
Whatever the answer to that, I'd like to know what the planned daytime
trains-per-hour will be on Saturday and Sunday.

--
Richard J.

Old February 21st 07, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes
Because of engineering works, there are no District Line trains between
Turnham Green and Acton Town this weekend (24/25 Feb). LU have
announced that Piccadilly Line trains will call at Turnham Green
throughout the weekend.

Does anyone have access to the relevant Traffic Circular? I'm
interested to know whether the Picc will run a less frequent service
than usual in order to cope with the extra stop, as the signalling at
TG can't support the normal range of headways if all trains stop there.
Whatever the answer to that, I'd like to know what the planned daytime
trains-per-hour will be on Saturday and Sunday.

Yes we will run less service. We have Special Working for the weekend
to deal with it. I'm starting 1.5 hours earlier, which is a result for
me as I finish 1.5 hours earlier too and wanted to get away earlier
anyway!

I had the TT earlier for this special working but I have now extracted
the bits I need for my duty on Saturday and got rid of it, but it seems
they have thinned out the service to cope with the extra stop. From
what I remember, it's the usual 5 mins interval to HRC and 10 mins to
RLN/UXB. It's the AGR-NFD extras in the daytime that are reduced (or
possibly missing).

I'll pick up the TT again on Friday and have a closer look if nobody
else comes up with it.
Old February 21st 07, 06:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Feb, 16:34, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message , Richard J.
writes

[...]

It's a separate issue but I see from the 6 month look ahead that on
the weekends of 19-20 and 26-28 May (bank holiday weekend) Piccadilly
line trains will run on the District line between Acton Town and
Hammersmith whilst the District will have a reduced service along that
stretch - I presume that literally means the Pic trains will be on the
district tracks. If so is there any extra driver training that Pic
drivers will need to do to familiarise themselves with this stretch of
tracks, or does the fact that you drive adjacent to the District here
mean that's not necessary?

I also see that on the weekend of 12-13 May and 9-10 June that "Hatton
Cross - Heathrow Terminals 123" will be closed - I guess this is
connected to work on a junction for the branch to the new Terminal 5
station. Does this mean that trains will run:
Hatton Cross - T4 - T123 - reverse T4 - Hatton Cross ?

(I also note that the compilers of the list managed to get the colour
of your line wrong once - nobody tell the TfL corporate image people,
they'll have a fit!).

Lastly - and this is far from Steve's patch - I see the East London
Line (also in the wrong colour of yellow!) is closed between New Cross
Gate and Surrey Quays on 6-7 May. Given the line is closing for all
the ELLX work in December I wonder what this is for - perhaps Network
Rail work on their adjacent tracks, though the Southeastern website
suggests there is none there at that time [2].

-----
[1] LU Track Closures Six Month Look Ahead:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/downloads...velinfo/track-
closures.pdf

[2] Southeastern -May Weekends engineering works summary
http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/engineering_works.php?e=171

Old February 21st 07, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...

I also see that on the weekend of 12-13 May and 9-10 June that "Hatton
Cross - Heathrow Terminals 123" will be closed - I guess this is
connected to work on a junction for the branch to the new Terminal 5
station. Does this mean that trains will run:
Hatton Cross - T4 - T123 - reverse T4 - Hatton Cross ?

I very much doubt it, I suspect the whole loop will be closed. HX - T4 -
T123 is only single track so you could only run a train every 20 minutes at
best plus the signalling isn't set up for this.

Peter Smyth

Old February 21st 07, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Feb, 20:04, "Peter Smyth" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

oups.com...

I also see that on the weekend of 12-13 May and 9-10 June that "Hatton
Cross - Heathrow Terminals 123" will be closed - I guess this is
connected to work on a junction for the branch to the new Terminal 5
station. Does this mean that trains will run:
Hatton Cross - T4 - T123 - reverse T4 - Hatton Cross ?

I very much doubt it, I suspect the whole loop will be closed. HX - T4 -
T123 is only single track so you could only run a train every 20 minutes at
best plus the signalling isn't set up for this.

Peter Smyth

D'oh, of course the T4 loop bit is single track, so yes it wouldn't be
much of a service! Looks like it'll be a bus replacement service to
Hatton Cross then.

Old February 21st 07, 11:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
Mizter T writes
It's a separate issue but I see from the 6 month look ahead that on the
weekends of 19-20 and 26-28 May (bank holiday weekend) Piccadilly line
trains will run on the District line between Acton Town and Hammersmith
whilst the District will have a reduced service along that stretch - I
presume that literally means the Pic trains will be on the district
tracks. If so is there any extra driver training that Pic drivers will
need to do to familiarise themselves with this stretch of tracks, or
does the fact that you drive adjacent to the District here mean that's
not necessary?

No. It's a normal alternative route for us - it's not uncommon for them
to run us 'fast up the local' to clear backlogs or to run all stations
to help the District when they have problems. In fact, the other week,
I was sat in the eastbound local platform at Acton Town and for a change
asked to be run up the local to Hammersmith - which they did!
Old February 21st 07, 11:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Peter Smyth
writes

"Mizter T" wrote in message
roups.com...

I also see that on the weekend of 12-13 May and 9-10 June that "Hatton
Cross - Heathrow Terminals 123" will be closed - I guess this is
connected to work on a junction for the branch to the new Terminal 5
station. Does this mean that trains will run:
Hatton Cross - T4 - T123 - reverse T4 - Hatton Cross ?

I very much doubt it, I suspect the whole loop will be closed. HX - T4 -
T123 is only single track so you could only run a train every 20 minutes at
best plus the signalling isn't set up for this.

Trains are timetabled to go round the loop every 5 minutes in normal
operation. You can actually get a few more than that round and, of
course T123 to Hatton Cross is normal two way working.

I think the work is more to do with testing and proving the new
signalling - most of the construction type work has been complete for
some time.
Old February 22nd 07, 03:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...

I also see that on the weekend of 12-13 May and 9-10 June that
"Hatton Cross - Heathrow Terminals 123" will be closed - I guess
this is connected to work on a junction for the branch to the new
Terminal 5 station.

I think the work is more to do with testing and proving the new
signalling - most of the construction type work has been complete for
some time.

So presumably these trains will not terminate at Hatton Cross but will run
empty to T5... which makes me wonder why they don't run them in service as
far as T123 (direct).

Old February 22nd 07, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Feb, 00:50, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message .com,
Mizter T writes

[...]

Thanks. I'm still a little puzzled as to how running 'fast up the
local' - i.e. running a non-stop Pic train on the District tracks -
would clear backlogs though?! And obviously this could only be done
when there isn't a stoppng District train in front of you.

Old February 22nd 07, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...

I also see that on the weekend of 12-13 May and 9-10 June that
"Hatton Cross - Heathrow Terminals 123" will be closed - I guess
this is connected to work on a junction for the branch to the new
Terminal 5 station.

I think the work is more to do with testing and proving the new
signalling - most of the construction type work has been complete for
some time.

So presumably these trains will not terminate at Hatton Cross but will run
empty to T5... which makes me wonder why they don't run them in service as
far as T123 (direct).

No they won't. We'd have known about it as we would be driving the
trains - which we're not.

The shadow running is due to commence later this year, May I think.
It's always possible that a train will be taken down there 'under
possession' to prove the circuits et al. We never actually find out
what they are doing, so it's a bit of speculation on my part.