Old December 19th 09, 12:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Moorgate branch decommissioned

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Recliner wrote:

"DW downunder" noname wrote in message
"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
Following the timetable change, FCC have ceased running empties from
Farringdon into Moorgate and the branch has been fully
decommissioned. As at today, Thursday, the branch has been
completely dewired, final removals occurring adjacent to the LUL
sidings at Farringdon today. The signalling has also been switched
out. Given the speed at which this work is taking place, I guess that
track recovery will not be long commencing.

I would imagine the section would be of some use to LU - as it was in
days of yore.

Cue the usual speculation of outlandish schemes for express routes, DLR
extensions, etc...

Apparently not!

Maybe nobody's come up with any new ones. The standard ones now are (a) an
entirely ineffective SSL express track, (b) a largely ineffective SSL
laypver point, (c) a highly effective, but phenomenally expensive and
probably impractical, DLR extension north of Bank, and (d) a last-minute
rerouting of a mile or so of Crossrail. Anyone got anything else?

How about surfacing the Northern City line at Moorgate, and taking it to
Farringdon? That's even barmier and more useless than the DLR option.

tom

--
All bloggers must die.

Old December 19th 09, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , noname (DW
downunder) wrote:

Are not the FCC services already "broken" at the present ....
what has happened to travel patterns?

FCC announced further Thameslink emergency timetable changes yesterday.
I'm not clear if they were due to the staffing situation or the weather.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 19th 09, 03:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:21:18 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

I have an 8 minute walk to my nearest tube station. Its fine on a nice warm
summers day but in the weather we've had recently or on a day when its ****ing
down its a pain in the bum. If I had to do a similar walk the other end I'd
really not be a happy bunny. And obviously I can only speak for myself but
after I'd done 9 hours in the office I really wouldn't want a cold long walk
to the train.

Each to their own, I suppose. Dress appropriately[1] and I can't see
why it's a problem, unless as you say it's heaving down, then the Tube
with a change becomes more appealing.

[1] I never quite get why I see so many people in the City walking
around just in a suit jacket in freezing weather. Even if your
employer is stupidly fussy about dress code, you could still wear a
couple of fleeces and a waterproof up to the door and just remove them
before entering, just like I presume the large number of City workers
I see walking around in trainers[2] do.

[2] I don't get that either. Why not buy a comfortable pair of
practical shoes? They can look as smart as the silly kind that crush
your toes or rub down the backs of your feet.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old December 19th 09, 04:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 19 Dec, 15:39, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
The expected advantage of TL2k is for people travelling between Cambridge
and Blackfriars or Littlehampton and Kings Cross. The percentage of people
passing through the centre is not expected to rise, although the number
will.

The greater point of the exercise is to significantly increase the
number of trains into London Bridge from the south/southeast, and
likewise increase the number of ECML commuter services (especially 12-
car) that can be run, as well as to extend the existing services to 12
cars. Where any of these trains actually go is not terribly
important.

This is relevant because every train to Moorgate is one less to/
through London Bridge (unless you can find somewhere new to start them
from), undermining the purpose of the scheme.

Old December 19th 09, 04:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Dec 19, 1:26*am, (Neil Williams)
wrote:

Except the majority of passengers that were using Moorgate are walking
on further e.g. to Bank area, Broadgate, etc.

Broadgate/Liverpool St are (as you say) very, very close to Moorgate
station. *I was surprised by how close (I've been working around there
for a week or two and it's the first time I've really walked around
that area - and the distance from Liverpool St to Moorgate seems a lot
further below ground!)

Yes.

You may recall 3-4 yars back I posted a thread about applying for an
IT/comms job, with what was then ONE, at Liverpool Street - but they
did not interview me because ''I lived off their route inconsistent
with the possibility of call-out involved with the job''. That
Moorgate was so close, and very easy for my normal commute, that TL
would probably be working if ONE had collapsed, and that TL is (well
was at the time) a 24/7 route (at least to Farringdon) so could easy
get there at any time, seemed to have escaped them. This is HR of
course. I did fire off an email asking them if they knew where
Moorgate was but got no reply. Guess that attitude kind of killed my
chances anyway but then again you have to wonder if you'd really want
to work for a company with such a moronic view.

Actually I ended up doing a temp job in Finsbury Circus even closer to
Moorgate.

--
Nick

Old December 19th 09, 04:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Dec 19, 10:17*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

I think that the current RUSs give enough away for it to be highly probable
that the loop trains will terminate at Blackfriars, and that Eastbourne,
Littlehampton, Guildford etc will not be served. *OTOH Kings Lynn seems to
have migrated into an ECML IEP service.

Indeed.

I am now of the opinion this could be project drift and de-scoping -
drift towards longer distance services on MML and de-scope by not
connecting GN.

I know MML has not been announced for wiring yet, and its only come up
recently, but that the public domain view. They may well have had 1, 2
maybe more years of planning (well if DfT plans anything) that we've
not known about. I mean, when the actual announcement about GWML (and
on top of that the use of 319s) came out most f us were taken by
surprise.

--
Nick
Old December 19th 09, 04:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Dec 19, 5:01*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

This is relevant because every train to Moorgate is one less to/
through London Bridge (unless you can find somewhere new to start them
from), undermining the purpose of the scheme.

Holborn Viaduct ;o)

City TL out of St.Pauls sdgs.

Its not rocket science.

--