London Banter

-   -   Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10181-boris-magic-wonder-bus-builder.html)

Tom Barry December 23rd 09 11:30 AM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

....and it's Wrightbus. Three doors, two staircases, wtf?

http://www.wrightbus.com/site/default.asp?CATID=9
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/13903.aspx

Announcing it two days before Christmas while everyone's looking the
other way does suggest it's not to be looked at too closely. There
isn't even a sketch yet, let alone any costings.

Tom

Recliner[_2_] December 23rd 09 11:45 AM

"Tom Barry" wrote in message

...and it's Wrightbus. Three doors, two staircases, wtf?

http://www.wrightbus.com/site/default.asp?CATID=9
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/13903.aspx

Announcing it two days before Christmas while everyone's looking the
other way does suggest it's not to be looked at too closely. There
isn't even a sketch yet, let alone any costings.

I note that it says, "The preferred manufacturer was chosen on
Wednesday 23 December 2009, there will then be a 10 day standstill
period. (This is a mandatory period required by the public procurement
regulations between announcing the winner of a contract and the signing
of the contract.)".

Does this mean 10 working days, or 10 elapsed days? If the latter, one
assumes that the xmas/new year holiday period was deliberately chosen to
wrongfoot anyone who might be thinking of objecting.

Paul December 23rd 09 12:46 PM

On 23/12/2009 12:30, Tom Barry wrote:
...and it's Wrightbus. Three doors, two staircases, wtf?

http://www.wrightbus.com/site/default.asp?CATID=9
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/13903.aspx

"Capacity for at least 87 passengers"

Including standing? Seems a bit low.
Bendy buses have a capacity of 49 sitting, 149 total.

--
Paul

[email protected] December 23rd 09 02:17 PM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:46:25 +0000
Paul wrote:
Bendy buses have a capacity of 49 sitting, 149 total.

Thats irrelevant. Cyclists don't like them so they have to go.

Quite how Boris is going to persuade the bed wetters in the HSE that an
open platform is a good idea is anyones guess. Routemasters have grandfather
rights. These won't.

B2003

Tom Barry December 23rd 09 02:28 PM

Paul wrote:
On 23/12/2009 12:30, Tom Barry wrote:
...and it's Wrightbus. Three doors, two staircases, wtf?

http://www.wrightbus.com/site/default.asp?CATID=9
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/13903.aspx

"Capacity for at least 87 passengers"

Including standing? Seems a bit low.
Bendy buses have a capacity of 49 sitting, 149 total.

TfL work on a DD capacity of 85, against 120 for bendies - 87 is
therefore unsurprising as a target unless they want difficulties
operating the contraption alongside normal buses. I can't see them
fitting 87 people, two staircases, two doors and a platform with a bloke
on or a cover over it in the 10-11m normal double deckers take up, let
alone the old RMs which were much smaller.

Tom

Paul Terry[_2_] December 23rd 09 02:33 PM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

In message , d writes

Quite how Boris is going to persuade the bed wetters in the HSE that an
open platform is a good idea is anyones guess.

Ah, but the "open platform" has a closing door. What's the betting that
it can only remain open when a conductor (or PCSO) is supervising its
use?
--
Paul Terry

MIG December 23rd 09 10:15 PM

On 23 Dec, 13:46, Paul wrote:
On 23/12/2009 12:30, Tom Barry wrote:

...and it's Wrightbus. *Three doors, two staircases, wtf?

http://www.wrightbus.com/site/default.asp?CATID=9
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/13903.aspx

"Capacity for at least 87 passengers"

Including standing? *Seems a bit low.
Bendy buses have a capacity of 49 sitting, 149 total.

Capacities for well-designed vehicles are based on things like the
number of seats.

Capacities for badly-designed vehicles are based on dividing the total
volume by the average volume of a person, assuming that all the bodies
can be slotted in upside down or chopped into bits or impaled on
obstructions as necessary.

That's why so many bad designs get approved on the grounds of
"capacity".

It's bollox.

Tom Barry December 23rd 09 10:36 PM

MIG wrote:
On 23 Dec, 13:46, Paul wrote:
On 23/12/2009 12:30, Tom Barry wrote:

...and it's Wrightbus. Three doors, two staircases, wtf?
http://www.wrightbus.com/site/default.asp?CATID=9
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/13903.aspx

"Capacity for at least 87 passengers"

Including standing? Seems a bit low.
Bendy buses have a capacity of 49 sitting, 149 total.

Capacities for well-designed vehicles are based on things like the
number of seats.

Capacities for badly-designed vehicles are based on dividing the total
volume by the average volume of a person, assuming that all the bodies
can be slotted in upside down or chopped into bits or impaled on
obstructions as necessary.

That's why so many bad designs get approved on the grounds of
"capacity".

It's bollox.

You want a seat for everyone. I want people to be able to afford to get
to work.

Since these are mutually exclusive in a London context, shall we agree
to differ?

There is no such things as 'well-designed' - either it's well designed
for the job it's expected to do, or it isn't. The problem with Boris's
bus is that it's well designed for the twin roles of getting him elected
and burnishing his CV as a Man Who Gets Things Done. The concept of
'moving people about' appears to have fallen by the wayside at some
point, as has any mention of who pays for this thing.

Tom

DW downunder December 24th 09 03:20 AM

wrote:

On 23/12/2009 12:30, Tom Barry wrote:
...and it's Wrightbus. Three doors, two staircases, wtf?

http://www.wrightbus.com/site/default.asp?CATID=9
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/13903.aspx

"Capacity for at least 87 passengers"

Including standing? Seems a bit low.

Not really - it's a tad higher than the normal capacity spec for low
floor double deckers which IIRC is 80 people. Therefore this is
notionally 10% greater. Given the proposed configuration of three doors
and two staircases this suggests most seats will be upstairs with
relative poor lower deck seating capacity but perhaps more room for
buggies / wheelchairs / standees. I also suspect the chassis length
will be longer than we are used to - possibly 11.3m. I doubt we will get
12m unless we end up with route specific variants as we did to some
extent with the Routemaster (RM and RML versions). Whether Wrightbus
are brave / daft enough to built a maxi Boris Bus of 13.7m configuration
remains to be seen. The composition of the 5 vehicle "evaluation" batch
will be most interesting as will the routes used to test the vehicle.

The bus is probably going to be a mutant hybrid of a Red Arrow style
lower deck mated with a Berlin Lion City three door / dual staircase
double decker but with the engine and drive line in the most bizarre
location possible (given the need for the rear platform plus door).

Ah, so it's possible the AEC "Q" could be reborn? :)

DW downunder

I think we should also wildly speculate about which mobile phone or
music player Wrightbus will use to base the "face" and "back" of the bus
on ;-) Sorry but most modern deckers look like mobile phones!

I still think this is barking mad but I am genuinely surprised it has
got this far!
--
Paul C

Paul Corfield December 24th 09 06:49 AM

On Dec 24, 4:20*am, "DW downunder" noname wrote:

Ah, so it's possible the AEC "Q" could be reborn? *:)

Well I suppose it is also possible that the moon is made of cheese,
the earth is flat and that black is white. The problem, as mentioned
on another group I read, is that side engined vehicles have a very
poor reliability record. Hybrid technology may offer some new options
but that has hardly been a breeze in terms of building reliability.
Ironically it seems the Enviro 400 hybrid (from purely an anecdotal
viewpoint) runs more consistently and reliably that other models - it
also got in to service far faster and with fewer glitches than all
other versions. While I am not criticising Wrights (they did, after
all, provide the first hybrids for London years ago) their models have
taken a lot longer to get in to fleet service and Volvo even longer
still. Both of the single deck routes using Wright Electrocities (129
and 360) have an equivalent number of diesel buses available to cover
for buses conking out or not being available. Not exactly a viable way
forward if you're looking at a potential fleet of 400-600 buses.
Still they may actually exhume the remains of the Volvo Ailsa and have
the engine [1] at the front :-) If Boris had been really brave
he'd have gone for trolleybuses - that would have provided a genuine
legacy and even I might have indulged him in having a specific
"London" design for that.

[1] most engines are either car or van derived so therefore perfectly
suited to front installation. Where you stick the batteries and
driveline are other issues altogether.
--
Paul C
via Google

Robert Jamieson December 24th 09 08:26 AM

wrote:
[...]

So it should end up much less manouverable than a bendy bus!

Robert

MIG December 24th 09 12:35 PM

On 23 Dec, 23:36, Tom Barry wrote:
MIG wrote:
On 23 Dec, 13:46, Paul wrote:
[...]

Not necessarily, I just object to false claims of standing capacity,
particularly in vehicles that are spectacularly badly designed for it,
whatever their internal volume.

There is no such things as 'well-designed' - either it's well designed
for the job it's expected to do, or it isn't. *The problem with Boris's
bus is that it's well designed for the twin roles of getting him elected
and burnishing his CV as a Man Who Gets Things Done. *The concept of
'moving people about' appears to have fallen by the wayside at some
point, as has any mention of who pays for this thing.

Something is badly-designed if it isn't fit for the purpose for which
it's designed (many modern trains, eg 376 emus, are designed for
standing, but actually don't allow for much standing because of the
layout, lack of holds etc). I think that both Routemasters and Bendys
are not suitable buses for current-day London.

Tom Anderson December 24th 09 05:25 PM

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, Paul Corfield wrote:

While I am not criticising Wrights (they did, after all, provide the
first hybrids for London years ago) their models have taken a lot longer
to get in to fleet service and Volvo even longer still. Both of the
single deck routes using Wright Electrocities

Are they called that because they're Electrical Atrocities?

tom

--
Big Bang. No god. Fadeout. End. -- Stephen Baxter

Chris Read December 24th 09 07:26 PM

"Paul Corfield" wrote:

Still they may actually exhume the remains of the Volvo Ailsa and have
the engine [1] at the front :-)

Which buses operated the 24 in the Grey Green era? I seem to recall those
had an unconventionally positioned engine, as the lower deck did not have
enough headroom for my 6'3" frame. The upper deck was great, however - deep
windows and good legroom - and they had a fair turn of speed.

Chris

Chris Read December 24th 09 09:08 PM

"Paul Corfield" wrote:

"Chris Read" wrote:

Which buses operated the 24 in the Grey Green era? I seem to recall those
had an unconventionally positioned engine, as the lower deck did not have
enough headroom for my 6'3" frame. The upper deck was great, however -
deep
windows and good legroom - and they had a fair turn of speed.

Volvo Citybus with an under floor engine hence it felt like climbing a
mountain when boarding. The seat pitch was extremely odd with some seats
with a mile between them and others pinched tight. They had a decent
turn of speed though.

Yes, I remember the odd seat spacing on the lower deck. The pay-off for the
mountain-climb boarding was, of course, seats right to the back of the bus,
all on one level.

My other memory of these buses was the distinctive smell. Not unpleasant,
but a definite odour. I always assumed it was a particular cleaning
substance used by Grey Green/Cowie/Arriva, or perhaps related to the
interior plastics used, but I suppose it was an engine-related odour
permeating through the floor.

There's an example in the Depot at Acton, IIRC. I hope an early LFDD is also
preserved - are the R-plate DAFs still around with Arriva London?

Chris

MIG December 24th 09 10:44 PM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

On 24 Dec, 17:40, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 05:35:35 -0800 (PST), MIG

wrote:
I think that both Routemasters and Bendys
are not suitable buses for current-day London.

So is there any bus currently in service in London that is suitable?

If not, is there a bus anywhere that would meet your requirements?

Dunno, but we need to be clearer on the requirements than the Boris
project seems to have been. (It seems to have been on the lines of
"anything you like as long as it has a front end that was already
retro in the 1950s".)

Off the top of me head I'd say it would be nice to include

* Don't require excessive road space and block crossings and
junctions.
* Don't require everyone to squeeze through a narrow space to get in.
* Build in some kind of circulation if possible, so that entry and
exit don't block each other.
* Bring back conductors to help people in all sorts of ways and allow
tickets to be sold on the bus all day and night. (The extra revenue
would surely pay for them.)

The bendys have at least got as away from the main curse of OPO buses,
which was filing through a narrow space by the driver while the bus
stood at the stop.

Tom Barry December 25th 09 02:04 PM

MIG wrote:

* Bring back conductors to help people in all sorts of ways and allow
tickets to be sold on the bus all day and night. (The extra revenue
would surely pay for them.)

a) No it wouldn't, have you seriously done any maths on this? £24k a
year + employers NI and other overheads * 8000 buses (or replace with
how many buses you think should be conductor-equipped, but it'll be four
figures). You're talking a lot of extra revenue attracted to pay for
that lot, which then drives further bus purchases* and thus more crew
etc. Basically the biggest single item of the bus operator's bill is
the crew *even with just the driver*.
b) Oyster

The periodic call of 'bring back the conductor' is one of those
nostalgic platitudes that curse us to second rate public transport in
the UK. Seriously, if you find yourself on the same side of the
argument as Quentin Letts it's a sign you've gone off the path of sanity
big time.

And now back to the oven.

Tom

* Note that Boris is reducing the bus network fairly substantially up to
2018, when you take into account the extra mileage worked by bendy
replacements and the former projected rise in mileage turning into a
reduction.

MIG December 25th 09 05:52 PM

On 25 Dec, 15:04, Tom Barry wrote:
MIG wrote:
[...]

I said it would be a nice thing to include, as would many things if
transport was run as a public service. I don't claim to have done
calculations on anything (such as the value to the city and country of
transport being run as a public service) but that doesn't mean that
they have no value.

It's not nostalgia. They don't have to do exactly the same job as in
the past, but I see that there is a value to having public transport
better staffed, and I would be arguing the same for railway stations
etc.

John B December 25th 09 10:54 PM

On Dec 24, 11:44*pm, MIG wrote:
The bendys have at least got as away from the main curse of OPO buses,
which was filing through a narrow space by the driver while the bus
stood at the stop.

The main curse was the time taken for a queue of people to pay and
wait for change, which Oyster and round-money flat-fares have done
away with in London - even on OPO double-deckers...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Neil Williams December 25th 09 11:09 PM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 15:44:56 -0800 (PST), MIG
wrote:

* Bring back conductors to help people in all sorts of ways and allow
tickets to be sold on the bus all day and night. (The extra revenue
would surely pay for them.)

What extra revenue? Practically everyone is using Oyster.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

MIG December 26th 09 09:16 PM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

wrote:
* Bring back conductors to help people in all sorts of ways and allow
tickets to be sold on the bus all day and night. *(The extra revenue
would surely pay for them.)

What extra revenue? *Practically everyone is using Oyster.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Then why are people always complaining that bendys are free? (Not
that that wasn't necessarily the ultimate intention.)

Anyway, they don't have to be the in the same job as the old
conductors or on all routes or at all times of day. It would be good
to have someone extra on night buses, say, who could, among other
things, sell reasonably-priced cash tickets to new arrivals and people
who can't top up.

MIG December 26th 09 09:17 PM

On 25 Dec, 23:54, John B wrote:
On Dec 24, 11:44*pm, MIG wrote:

The bendys have at least got as away from the main curse of OPO buses,
which was filing through a narrow space by the driver while the bus
stood at the stop.

The main curse was the time taken for a queue of people to pay and
wait for change, which Oyster and round-money flat-fares have done
away with in London - even on OPO double-deckers...

But there is still the narrow gap and having to wave or bleep
something at the driver, which is surely unnecessary.

Neil Williams December 26th 09 10:09 PM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:16:54 -0800 (PST), MIG
wrote:

Then why are people always complaining that bendys are free?

That's a side issue. You don't need a conductor to check that people
have touched in. A driver can do that if people board at the front.
On at the front, off at the rear is the fastest option in a two-door
bus where touching in takes half a second.

Anyway, they don't have to be the in the same job as the old
conductors or on all routes or at all times of day. It would be good
to have someone extra on night buses, say, who could, among other
things, sell reasonably-priced cash tickets to new arrivals and people
who can't top up.

This may well be worthwhile as a security measure if nothing else,
though would people be willing to see night bus fares increased above
daytime ones as they used to be, so this could be affordable?

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Neil Williams December 26th 09 10:13 PM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:17:49 -0800 (PST), MIG
wrote:

But there is still the narrow gap and having to wave or bleep
something at the driver, which is surely unnecessary.

The gap is wide enough for people to get through if nobody stands
there. This can be avoided by going for a bigger bus with more
dedicated standing room downstairs.

Revenue protection is clearly proving to be necessary, given the
reputation of "uncle Ken's free buses". But then the UK never did,
and probably never will, do penalty fares correctly[1].

[1] Forget prosecuting people, heavy-handedness or messing around.
Just set the PF and enforcement to be at the level where the PF income
from ticketless travellers, having deducted the cost of enforcement,
equals (or to be safe slightly exceeds) the income that was lost by
the fact that they didn't pay the proper fare. Then stop worrying
about them, because they don't lose you money.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

John B December 27th 09 05:02 PM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

wrote:
But there is still the narrow gap and having to wave or bleep
something at the driver, which is surely unnecessary.

The gap is wide enough for people to get through if nobody stands
there. *This can be avoided by going for a bigger bus with more
dedicated standing room downstairs.

Revenue protection is clearly proving to be necessary, given the
reputation of "uncle Ken's free buses". *But then the UK never did,
and probably never will, do penalty fares correctly[1].

I'm not sure this is true, except for highly depressing, party-
political values of "necessary". The actual TfL studies show that
evasion isn't significantly higher on bendies than regular buses -
unfortunately, the urban myth of 'uncle Ken's free buses' has obscured
the reality.

(CUE: pointless anecdotes of "I got on the 29 and only saw 4 people
touching in". Well, yes - the others have Travelcards or bus passes).

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

MIG December 28th 09 08:27 AM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

wrote:
Then why are people always complaining that bendys are free?

That's a side issue. *You don't need a conductor to check that people
have touched in. *A driver can do that if people board at the front.
On at the front, off at the rear is the fastest option in a two-door
bus where touching in takes half a second.

Anyway, they don't have to be the in the same job as the old
conductors or on all routes or at all times of day. *It would be good
to have someone extra on night buses, say, who could, among other
things, sell reasonably-priced cash tickets to new arrivals and people
who can't top up.

This may well be worthwhile as a security measure if nothing else,
though would people be willing to see night bus fares increased above
daytime ones as they used to be, so this could be affordable?

All I am saying, as Paul Corfield kind of repeated in a different
branch, is that there should be a sensible consideration of what is
needed in a bus that is suitable for the central London. I don't
think it's a bendy or a Routemaster and I have no time for any party
political associations with bus designs. I also see a need for better
staffing in approporiate roles. I foolishly mentioned the word
"conductors" as an aside, and that's all anyone wants to talk about.

It's very strange how, in the meantime, various people seem to be
claiming that no time is lost by filing past the driver on double
deckers, despite dwell time being one of the main claimed advantages
of bendys. Even less justification for them then.

Barry Salter December 28th 09 03:28 PM

John B wrote:

(CUE: pointless anecdotes of "I got on the 29 and only saw 4 people
touching in". Well, yes - the others have Travelcards or bus passes).

Talking of people not touching in, TfL are changing the Conditions of
Carriage from 2nd January such that *ALL* Oyster holders *MUST* touch in
(and out where appropriate) or be liable to a Penalty Fare, even if they
have a valid Season Ticket loaded onto their Oyster!

New Conditions of Carriage can be found at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/termsandconditions/899.aspx and the relevant
conditions are 6.6.1 for LU, Overground and National Rail, and 6.6.7 for
Buses.

Cheers,

Barry

John B December 28th 09 04:17 PM

On Dec 28, 4:28*pm, Barry Salter wrote:
John B wrote:
(CUE: pointless anecdotes of "I got on the 29 and only saw 4 people
touching in". Well, yes - the others have Travelcards or bus passes).

Talking of people not touching in, TfL are changing the Conditions of
Carriage from 2nd January such that *ALL* Oyster holders *MUST* touch in
(and out where appropriate) or be liable to a Penalty Fare, even if they
have a valid Season Ticket loaded onto their Oyster!

New Conditions of Carriage can be found at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/termsandconditions/899.aspx and the relevant
conditions are 6.6.1 for LU, Overground and National Rail, and 6.6.7 for
Buses.

....although interestingly, that strongly implies (to the extent that
any court would support) that Travelcard holders will only be liable
to a penalty fare if they fail to touch in on buses.

While 6.6.1 says that Travelcard holders are supposed to touch in on
LU/LO/NR, it doesn't specify any sanctions for people who don't -
whereas 6.6.4 mentions explicit sanctions for Travelcard holders who
don't use OEPs on NR, 6.6.7 mentions explicit sanctions for Travelcard
holders who don't touch in on buses, and 6.7.3 mentions explicit
sanctions for PAYG users who don't touch in on LU/LO/DLR.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Walter Briscoe December 28th 09 10:02 PM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

In message of Mon, 28 Dec 2009
16:28:37 in uk.transport.london, Barry Salter
writes
John B wrote:

(CUE: pointless anecdotes of "I got on the 29 and only saw 4 people
touching in". Well, yes - the others have Travelcards or bus passes).

Talking of people not touching in, TfL are changing the Conditions of
Carriage from 2nd January such that *ALL* Oyster holders *MUST* touch
in (and out where appropriate) or be liable to a Penalty Fare, even if
they have a valid Season Ticket loaded onto their Oyster!

New Conditions of Carriage can be found at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/terms
andconditions/899.aspx and the relevant conditions are 6.6.1 for LU,
Overground and National Rail, and 6.6.7 for Buses.

How do people find out how CoC versions differs?
I read my first version carefully. I don't feel like doing it again.
I might suggest pdftotext, but found it shuffles http://www.tfl.gov.uk/
assets/livetravelnews/realtime/tube/track-closures.pdf
[Later: pdftotext -layout does a reasonable job. I hope to post a
comparison of the 2010/01/02 and November 2009 versions.]

I note it continues to say "4.5. ... in our bus and Underground
stations you must not: ... take flash photographs and/or use a tripod or
other camera support equipment"

I take that as permission to take non-flash photographs without camera
support equipment. My showing the CoC on my phone/camera/computer is
usually enough to deal with staff who challenge: "You need permission to
take photos on the Underground." I suppose I should complain.
--
Walter Briscoe

Andy December 29th 09 01:23 AM

John B wrote:
[...]

I notice that the wording is suitably obscure about the use of OEP on
the existing NR routes which accept PAYG. First section 6.6.4 says
that you MUST have an OEP if travelling outside your travelcard
validity on NR, but then says that you SHOULD have an OEP if using one
of the existing PAYG routes (those mentioned in section A1).

I had understood that if, for example, I wished to travel to Watford
Junction on a London Midland service, I wouldn't need an OEP, as the
PAYG rules to Watford Junction would not be changing from the current
situation.

Tim Roll-Pickering December 29th 09 04:06 AM

Barry Salter wrote:

(CUE: pointless anecdotes of "I got on the 29 and only saw 4 people
touching in". Well, yes - the others have Travelcards or bus passes).

Talking of people not touching in, TfL are changing the Conditions of
Carriage from 2nd January such that *ALL* Oyster holders *MUST* touch in
(and out where appropriate) or be liable to a Penalty Fare, even if they
have a valid Season Ticket loaded onto their Oyster!

That is going to be a ****ing disaster at some stations (DLR, Waterloo &
City, Stratford) - and what are people supposed to do if they start their
journey on a paper ticket to their season validity?

MIG December 29th 09 07:47 AM

John B wrote:
[...]

Which is particularly bonkers, since a bus journey can't exactly be
extended beyond zones.

Again, despite my deep suspicion of everything Oyster, I don't believe
this is going to be used for PF purposes. I am sure that it's just an
attempt to get people into the habit of touching all the time, given
all the potential problems (which can't all be solved anyway). It's
one of those "terms and conditions" things that they can fall back on
if someone does try something on but there's no other technical
offence they can get them on.

I don't believe they are going to reprogram all the bus inspector
machines not to give a green light to valid travelcards. What kind of
entry/exit gets registered with a bus touch anyway?

PS Or is this just to prepare for debendification? It's normal to
touch a travelcard in front of a straight bus driver who has the
responsibility of checking that you've got a valid ticket.

Matthew Dickinson December 29th 09 11:18 AM

John B wrote:
[...]

It is possible to do so on routes 84 & 614.

Eric[_3_] December 29th 09 12:38 PM

On 2009-12-29, Matthew Dickinson wrote:
On 29 Dec, 08:47, MIG wrote:

While 6.6.1 says that Travelcard holders are supposed to touch in on
LU/LO/NR, it doesn't specify any sanctions for people who don't -
whereas 6.6.4 mentions explicit sanctions for Travelcard holders who
don't use OEPs on NR, 6.6.7 mentions explicit sanctions for Travelcard
holders who don't touch in on buses, and 6.7.3 mentions explicit
sanctions for PAYG users who don't touch in on LU/LO/DLR.

Which is particularly bonkers, since a bus journey can't exactly be
extended beyond zones.

It is possible to do so on routes 84 & 614.

But they do not accept Oyster for journeys beyond the specified points,
so this is totally irrelevant.

E.

MIG December 29th 09 02:04 PM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

On 29 Dec, 13:19, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 00:47:24 -0800 (PST), MIG

wrote:
Which is particularly bonkers, since a bus journey can't exactly be
extended beyond zones.

On a few routes it is possible but these are not TfL routes just LLSA
[1] services.

Again, despite my deep suspicion of everything Oyster, I don't believe
this is going to be used for PF purposes. *I am sure that it's just an
attempt to get people into the habit of touching all the time, given
all the potential problems (which can't all be solved anyway). *It's
one of those "terms and conditions" things that they can fall back on
if someone does try something on but there's no other technical
offence they can get them on.

I understand that the level of expected compliance is going to be ramped
up over a number of months. This gives people time to get used to
touching in even if they have Travelcards. *Notices appeared a few
months ago giving advance warning that everyone on staff passes had to
touch in on routes with remote readers. *I touch in anyway on bendies
even though it's not strictly necessary. *Not sure what is proposed for
holders of Freedom Passes.

The use of PFs goes well beyond what Parliament agreed to in the first
place, in my opinion, but if they are going to PF people who have paid
their fare and can prove that they have and who have no means, while
on the bus, of travelling beyond their validity, they will definitely
end up in court, and I will be among lynch mob outside.

But I can't believe that they really intend to do anything so
ridiculous.

I don't believe they are going to reprogram all the bus inspector
machines not to give a green light to valid travelcards. *What kind of
entry/exit gets registered with a bus touch anyway?

Clearly only an entry is registered but if people change to another mode
or another bus as part of an overall journey then patterns of usage can
be derived if the timings for validation look OK relative to journey /
interchange time.

PS Or is this just to prepare for debendification? *It's normal to
touch a travelcard in front of a straight bus driver who has the
responsibility of checking that you've got a valid ticket.

I don't see how. Once a route goes to double deck then that's it -
everyone on at the front and everyone touches in. *

That's what I said. Is this change simply in recognition of the fact
that with debendification, there will not be a situation in which
anyone gets on a bus with no need to either touch or show something to
the driver? That would make sense.

Planning to PF everyone with a travelcard who hasn't carried out a
separate arbitrary action would, I think, be illegal. It would be
purely a trap to earn them extra cash, and would protect no revenue
whatsoever since it would only apply to people who could prove that
they had paid the correct fare. They can't justify inventing rules
purely for the purpose of fining people for breaking the rules.

Not sure what's going
to happy on the NBFL which will apparently allow boarding and alighting
through all doors (like a rigid bendy)!?

[1] London Local Service Agreement (former section 3/2 routes).

--
Paul C

[email protected] December 29th 09 03:58 PM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

Notices appeared a few
months ago giving advance warning that everyone on staff passes had to
touch in on routes with remote readers. I touch in anyway on bendies
even though it's not strictly necessary. Not sure what is proposed for
holders of Freedom Passes.

And what about those of us on (ITSO) Bus Passes?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] December 29th 09 04:48 PM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:58:31 -0600,

wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

Notices appeared a few
months ago giving advance warning that everyone on staff passes had
to touch in on routes with remote readers. I touch in anyway on
bendies even though it's not strictly necessary. Not sure what is
proposed for holders of Freedom Passes.

And what about those of us on (ITSO) Bus Passes?

Oh you'll all be shot by the newly installed automatic weapons ;-)

Is that compatible with ITSO on Oyster?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Michael R N Dolbear December 29th 09 08:16 PM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

MIG wrote

[...]

Wearing my "think of a reason" hat, requiring touch-in on buses will
ensure the /forgetful/ won't travel free with an expired season ticket.

Other parts of the conditions of carriage remind me of Sir Alan Herbert
(who, in _Uncommon Law_ invented the negotiable cow).

12.1.3. You must not bring with you anything that:
• is more than 2 metres long

14.1. You can bring an assistance dog with you without charge. You can
also take with you without charge any other dog or inoffensive animal,
unless there is a good reason [...]

So parrots and other birds are OK if not too large.

--
Mike D

[email protected] December 29th 09 08:45 PM

Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

In article 01ca88cb$cc175420$LocalHost@default, (Michael
R N Dolbear) wrote:

Other parts of the conditions of carriage remind me of Sir Alan Herbert
(who, in _Uncommon Law_ invented the negotiable cow).

12.1.3. You must not bring with you anything that:
• is more than 2 metres long

14.1. You can bring an assistance dog with you without charge. You can
also take with you without charge any other dog or inoffensive animal,
unless there is a good reason [...]

So parrots and other birds are OK if not too large.

Is a giraffe more than 2 metres _long?_

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Eric[_3_] December 29th 09 09:43 PM

R N Dolbear) wrote:

Other parts of the conditions of carriage remind me of Sir Alan
Herbert
(who, in _Uncommon Law_ invented the negotiable cow).

12.1.3. You must not bring with you anything that:
• is more than 2 metres long

14.1. You can bring an assistance dog with you without charge. You
can
also take with you without charge any other dog or inoffensive
animal,
unless there is a good reason [...]

So parrots and other birds are OK if not too large.

Is a giraffe more than 2 metres _long?_

Dunno. But if you do take one you shouldn't leave it on the train.