London Banter

-   -   The effects of a road congestion tax (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1024-effects-road-congestion-tax.html)

Mikael Armstrong November 21st 03 12:43 AM

The effects of a road congestion tax

"AndyA" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
"Oliver Keating" wrote in message

But of course free market forces only work if people are charged for

the
services (ie roads) that they use.

But, of course, free market forces only work if there's competition,
not a gang of armed thugs charging motorists an arm and a leg to drive
while stealing large chunks of the roads for their cronies in the bus
industry.

Hmm, I've been driving for 20 years and in all that time I've never
been accosted by a gang of armed thugs trying to charge me money.
Maybe you just live in a rough area, especially if they are trying to
steal the roads as well. Still, people will nick anything nowadays.

I agree with you, though: all roads should be privatised and all
motoring taxes should be abolished. Let private companies run the
roads instead.

And they will of course let you drive on their roads for nothing.

--
AndyA

Mark

Well if we had a private company running the roads using all the revenue
from road road users, we would have much better roads than now, as they
would put a far higher proportion back into the road network.

Mikael

Grant Crozier November 21st 03 01:00 AM

The effects of a road congestion tax

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:43:32 -0000, "Mikael Armstrong"
wrote:
Well if we had a private company running the roads using all the revenue
from road road users, we would have much better roads than now, as they
would put a far higher proportion back into the road network.

If all the goods that are carried up and down the country in multi
wheel juggernauts every day of the week where shifted on to the rail
network our road network would stay in good shape for a lot longer.
I am sure that at least 50% of the goods that travel along the M1 and
M6 every day could quite easly be shunted onto the west coast line.
Grant .

Cheeky November 21st 03 08:22 AM

wrote:

Well if we had a private company running the roads using all the revenue
from road road users, we would have much better roads than now, as they
would put a far higher proportion back into the road network.

Mikael

Do you have any evidence to support the notion that a private company
would do this? Surely the idea is to spend the minimum on maintenance
etc to maximise profits (hence why the company running BNRR will
charge HGVs £11 each way).
--

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
Please reply to the group

Cheeky November 21st 03 08:31 AM

The effects of a road congestion tax

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 22:38:15 -0000, "Martin²"
wrote:

How prey, do they propose to enforce the use of satellite and / or cellular
phone tracker systems for cars ?

They're trialling it with HGVs. Cars next, no doubt:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ht_503872.hcsp

This is a madly expensive way to TRY to solve congestion in relatively small
number of places.
And, as with petrol, people will just pay what it takes to go where they
want to go and when they want to go.

Yes, but I suppose the rationale is that eventually you reach a point
where it becomes cheaper to use another mode. I know that surveys
suggest around 30% of motorists state that they will never switch
modes but that leaves 70% who might consider it..... Mind you - even
if they charged 50p/mile on the M6 it would still be cheaper than
Virgin on peak trains :(

Congestion is self defeating anyway, so unless you build more roads, you may
as well do nothing !
It would be much better to concentrate of keeping the traffic moving, sort
of stand Livingstone on his stupid head....
Regards,
Martin

Eh? Within the charging zone congestion has been reduced. I appreciate
that on the boundaries it has stayed the same (or perhaps increased)
but if (for example) there was a national charging scheme there
wouldn't be such precipices.

Conor November 21st 03 09:55 AM

The effects of a road congestion tax

In article ,
says...
How prey, do they propose to enforce the use of satellite and / or cellular
phone tracker systems for cars ?

Exactly the same way they forced speedlimiters on HGVs. Make it law.

--
Conor

Hi. This is my friend, Jack ****, and you don't know him.

Richard J. November 21st 03 10:13 AM

The effects of a road congestion tax

Robin May wrote:
"Richard J." wrote the following in:

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article

d.ntl.c om, Dan Holdsworth writes

[1] Doing it this way, you could also look for mobile phones
that appear to be in use and moving along a motorway, and flag
these locations up to the local police, for much improved
enforcement of anti-mobile laws.

There is no law against the use of a mobile phone while moving on
a motorway.

Yes, there is. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use)
(Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2003. It doesn't come into effect
until 1 Dec 2003, and it only affects the use of a hand-held
mobile by the driver.

That's not a law against use of a mobile phone while moving on a
motorway. That's a law against the use of a mobile phone while
driving.

Yes, but driving is one way of moving. By your logic, I could say "There
is no law against parking on a single yellow line" because you would claim
that parking wasn't banned for 24 hrs/day.

What I assume you meant was that the system
would not be able to distinguish between legal and illegal use of
a mobile mobile, not that all use was legal.

He didn't say all use was legal.

He said there was no law against it, which amounts to the same thing.
--
Richard J.

Dave Babb November 21st 03 11:53 AM

wrote:
Well if we had a private company running the roads using all the revenue
from road road users, we would have much better roads than now, as they
would put a far higher proportion back into the road network.

If all the goods that are carried up and down the country in multi
wheel juggernauts every day of the week where shifted on to the rail
network our road network would stay in good shape for a lot longer.
I am sure that at least 50% of the goods that travel along the M1 and
M6 every day could quite easly be shunted onto the west coast line.
Grant .

I think you'll find there is not enough capacity on the WCML to add
anything like 50% of the road frieght.

Robin May November 21st 03 01:16 PM

Robin May wrote:
"Richard J." wrote the following in:

Yes, there is. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use)
(Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2003. It doesn't come into
effect until 1 Dec 2003, and it only affects the use of a
hand-held mobile by the driver.

That's not a law against use of a mobile phone while moving on a
motorway. That's a law against the use of a mobile phone while
driving.

Yes, but driving is one way of moving. By your logic, I could say
"There is no law against parking on a single yellow line" because
you would claim that parking wasn't banned for 24 hrs/day.

No, driving is the act of being in control of a car. There is no law
against using a mobile phone while moving in a car, there is a law
against using a mobile phone while in control of a car. The yellow line
example doesn't hold up because there is a law against parking on
single yellow lines.

I suppose the point is, you can't just send the police after every
mobile phone in use that's moving on a motorway. You'd have thousands
of completely innocent drivers and passengers inconvenienced and
countless hours of police time wasted.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Then and than are different words!

Matt Bourke November 21st 03 10:08 PM

"Matt Bourke" wrote in message
om...
"Oliver Keating" wrote in message

But of course free market forces only work if people are charged for the
services (ie roads) that they use. Currently roads are free(1)

(1) So you may argue about fuel duty etc.etc. but this is unbelievably

crude
in terms of road pricing as to be ignored.

Here here! Let's price the riff-raff in their mass-market hatchbacks
and super-minis off the roads. Let them use buses. Give the roads
back to the wealthy!

Yes that is a problem. Perhaps the tax you pay could be based on as a
percentage determined by your car's value and CO2 output, rather like with
company car tax. That would eliminate the regressive nature of the tax.

Even based on value and CO2 it discriminates against the poor. The
wealthy will not be affected. If road rationing is required do it
fairly - give each person an annual mileage quota.

Matt B

Martin² November 22nd 03 02:09 AM

The effects of a road congestion tax

Conor
Exactly the same way they forced speedlimiters on HGVs. Make it law.

Law against a burnt fuse supplying power to the sat / gps tracker ?
Regards,
Martin

Conor November 22nd 03 06:38 AM

The effects of a road congestion tax

In article ,
says...
Conor
Exactly the same way they forced speedlimiters on HGVs. Make it law.

Law against a burnt fuse supplying power to the sat / gps tracker ?
Regards,

Sorry, I missed the point unless you were having a dig at HGVs in which
case may I point you to a recent DfT study?

Pete Smith November 22nd 03 05:46 PM

The effects of a road congestion tax

In article ,
says...
In article ,
says...
Conor
Exactly the same way they forced speedlimiters on HGVs. Make it law.

Law against a burnt fuse supplying power to the sat / gps tracker ?
Regards,

Sorry, I missed the point unless you were having a dig at HGVs in which
case may I point you to a recent DfT study?

Calm down, calm down! I don't think he's having a dig at truckers, but if
it was law that all cars were to be fitted with a GPS speed limiter, would
they have a law against the limiter having mysteriously blown a fuse due
to a wiring problem?

Out of interest, I've a feeling that if a truck has a non functioning
tachometer/limiter due to a blown fuse, that this is against the
regs/laws, and the truck must be taken out of active duty until it's
fixed. Just call me paranoid, but...

Pete.

--
NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be bounced to you
Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail

Grant Crozier November 22nd 03 06:24 PM

The effects of a road congestion tax

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:46:46 -0000, Pete Smith
wrote:
Out of interest, I've a feeling that if a truck has a non functioning
tachometer/limiter due to a blown fuse, that this is against the
regs/laws, and the truck must be taken out of active duty until it's
fixed.

There must be quite a few on the roads in that condition I was on the
M61 the other day doing 60MPH and no less than half a dozen HGV's
went racing passed me eight wheel articulated's at that its time speed
cameras where erected on our motor ways .
Grant .

Paul Weaver November 22nd 03 07:05 PM

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:24:19 +0000, Grant Crozier wrote:
went racing passed me eight wheel articulated's at that its time speed
cameras where erected on our motor ways .

Yeah, cause a camera on a 70mph road will catch a truck at 65.

Chance are your "60mph" speedo was actually 50mph, and you were causing
thousands of pounds an hour in congestion from your Selfish
holier-than-thou attitude.

Conor November 23rd 03 12:02 AM

The effects of a road congestion tax

In article ,
says...

Calm down, calm down! I don't think he's having a dig at truckers, but if
it was law that all cars were to be fitted with a GPS speed limiter, would
they have a law against the limiter having mysteriously blown a fuse due
to a wiring problem?

See answer below. THere is a little leeway.

Out of interest, I've a feeling that if a truck has a non functioning
tachometer/limiter due to a blown fuse, that this is against the
regs/laws, and the truck must be taken out of active duty until it's
fixed. Just call me paranoid, but...

It doesn't have to be taken out of service but it must be notified
immediately and fixed at the earliest opportunity, i.e the same day. A
week later is insufficient.

Martin² November 23rd 03 12:04 AM

The effects of a road congestion tax

Pete Smith you missed the point, not read earlier posts.

We were discussing the proposed satellite / gps tracking and congestion
charging private cars
as proposed by the EU boffins aided and abetted by mad prof. Begg.
(not speed limiters)

I was questioning how they think they will enforce it.
What's to stop you disconnecting the device (e.g. blown fuse) or jamming the
GPS signals ?
Regards,
Martin

Conor November 23rd 03 12:05 AM

The effects of a road congestion tax

In article ,
says...

There must be quite a few on the roads in that condition I was on the
M61 the other day doing 60MPH and no less than half a dozen HGV's
went racing passed me eight wheel articulated's at that its time speed
cameras where erected on our motor ways .
Grant .

Car speedos overread up to 10%. It is quite feasible that your actual
speed , not indicated speed, was as low as 55MPH which is 5MPH below
the HGV speed limit. Onmy last wagon, I knew how inaccurate the speedo
was..0.5 MPH at 56MPH because the tyres were part worn.

HGVs have tacho calibration tests every two years and are calibrated to
a far tighter tolerance than a car. When was the last time your car
speedos accuracy was checked?

Grant Crozier November 23rd 03 12:31 AM

The effects of a road congestion tax

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:05:40 -0000, Conor
wrote:
HGVs have tacho calibration tests every two years and are calibrated to
a far tighter tolerance than a car.

They maybe but how often are the graphs checked by the MOD ? once
every blue moon I would imagine have you ever seen or read about any
HGV driver being prosecuted for speeding on taco evidence alone .
When was the last time your car speedos accuracy was checked?

Can't tell you only had this particular car three months and in any
case the next time I get done for speeding will be my first
even the police are not bothered in the slightest about HGV's
speeding on motor ways .
I know this for a fact I was once driving on the M6 quite a few years
ago before taco's came into being and a HGV over took me at well over
70 MPH I was doing 70 at the time and he was out of sight in no time.
A friend in the car with me took his number and we called in at the
Police station just of the M6 at Samlesbury told the motorway police
that where in there and they just shrugged their sholders and said
what do you want us to do about it go chasing after him ! .
Grant .

Ian Smith November 23rd 03 12:45 PM

The effects of a road congestion tax

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

snipped

Taxing motorists in the right way would make things fairer.

Usage-based

taxation is a step in the right direction; environmental tax

reform
would probably be the right direction. (See
http://www.green-innovations.asn.au/ecotax.htm) Such a system

could
naturally resolve congestion and restore some sense of balance in

the

transport system.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

We don't need another tax to add to our vastly complicated tax
system. The only fair tax is on income (single % rate for all,

varied
by annual public referendum). All other taxes should be abolished.
Only then would all of us (rich and poor) see the true cost of
government, and vote accordingly.

The idea of ETR isn't to add a tax, it's to replace all of the

existing
ones with ones based around what causes unsustainable damage to the
environment.

I'd like to believe that. However, I still think we need to start
back at square 1 with taxation based on income, to the exclusion of
all others. Non income based taxation puts a disproportionate load on
those with lower incomes, and are therefore unfair. Council tax is a
prominent example of this.

If congestion is a problem, let the free market influence

people
to find alternative routes and modes of transport. If polluting

the
environment is a problem, then legislate targets for fuel economy

and
emissions at manufacture, like they do in the USA (albeit
non-aggressively).

A free market for transport is impossible under the current system

where
modes are treated separately by the government when proposing new
schemes, and where the current cost-benefit analysis model is

extremely
flawed, since many of the values used in them are applied to things
which are essentially "not for sale". The current market is biased

in
favour of car travel so naturally a modal shift is occurring in that
direction.

Targets are a rather blunt instrument to apply directly to the

industry;
rather by using taxation to achieve targets, the true cost of
environmental damage can be compensated for.

If fuel consumption/economy targets were legislated for, then
everyone would be driving more fuel efficient cars, instead of the
current system where well-off people simply shrug and pay the extra
tax money to run their gas guzzlers. Overall fuel consumption would go
down if all cars had to achieve, say, an average 40 miles per gallon.

I would also venture that the USA is hardly the best model for an
environmentally sound system.

I'd venture that the USA, the richest country in the world, got
there by promoting economic growth through cheap transportation of
goods and people; not by strangling free trade with punitive taxation.
Apart from slavery and cheap immigrant labour.....

I just don't think all problems can or should always be solved

by
government intervention.

Reforming the tax system to be fully environmentally-based would
(theoretically of course) shift sustainability in the right

direction by
market forces alone, without any further government intervention.

It's
only sensible to tax the use of resources which affect everyone.

It's only sensible to get off the taxation band wagon and start
legislating limits for emissions and fuel consumption at the
manufacturing level. We don't need to punish those on lower incomes
with a disproportionately greater tax burden than everyone else. The
man in the street is the driving force behind the economy.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Robin May November 23rd 03 01:00 PM

The effects of a road congestion tax

"Ian Smith" wrote the following
in:

I'd venture that the USA, the richest country in the world, got
there by promoting economic growth through cheap transportation of
goods and people; not by strangling free trade with punitive
taxation.

And in America cheap transportation seems to mean everyone has a car
from virtually the age of 16 and petrol is so cheap that people won't
walk 5 minutes down the road to their friend's house. It's cheap
transportation achieved as a result of a 'sod the environment'
mentality.

derek November 23rd 03 02:34 PM

The effects of a road congestion tax

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:45:04 -0000, "Ian Smith"
wrote:

I'd like to believe that. However, I still think we need to start
back at square 1 with taxation based on income, to the exclusion of
all others. Non income based taxation puts a disproportionate load on
those with lower incomes, and are therefore unfair.

What's the point of going to all the trouble of having a consistent
system of *money* and guarding the value of the currency, if poor
people then pay less than the rich for the same goods and services?

Council tax is a
prominent example of this.

It has one advantage that the government wouldn't be able to bezzle
us, won't happen then will it?

DG

Greg Hennessy November 23rd 03 04:50 PM

On 23 Nov 2003 14:06:40 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

I'd like to believe that. However, I still think we need to start
back at square 1 with taxation based on income, to the exclusion of
all others.

Just so long as it's a flat rate. "Progressive" (I hate that word in this
context) taxation is iniquitious.

That'll never happen, think of all the poor inland revenue employees who
would be made redundant by such simplification.

Never mind the fact that if you ask almost any socialist what they would
prefer.

Penal 'socially equitable' levels of taxation.

or

Flat universal rates which would raise more revenue for the public purse

They will always plump for the 1st option. Socialism cannot exist without
begrudgery, it requires a scapegoat.

greg

--
$ReplyAddress =~ s#\@.*$##; # Delete everything after the '@'
The Following is a true story.....

Greg Hennessy November 23rd 03 04:50 PM

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:34:12 +0000, derek wrote:

What's the point of going to all the trouble of having a consistent
system of *money* and guarding the value of the currency, if poor
people then pay less than the rich for the same goods and services?

One can hijack the electoral system and buy their votes.

Council tax is a
prominent example of this.

It has one advantage that the government wouldn't be able to bezzle
us, won't happen then will it?

Not a hope in hell.

greg

Pete Smith November 23rd 03 05:45 PM

The effects of a road congestion tax

In article ,
says...
Pete Smith you missed the point, not read earlier posts.

We were discussing the proposed satellite / gps tracking and congestion
charging private cars
as proposed by the EU boffins aided and abetted by mad prof. Begg.
(not speed limiters)

Indeed you were. Someone made a comment about something, and Conor thought
they may have been having a go at truck drivers, and I then told him they
probably weren't.

The point was that would they make a law against having "a blown fuse"?
They would probably say that the hardware has to be fitted and functional
at all times.

I then asked Conor (who drives a truck, and who therefore has speed
limiting hardware in the truck) what the legal position would be for him
"to have a blown fuse", and the result is that it needs fixing very soon,
ie the same day. If cars have speed limiters (GPS or otherwise), they will
probably put a law in place to ensure that it is working at all times, and
if it isn't, it needs fixing within hours.

Pete.

Conor November 23rd 03 11:30 PM

wrote:
HGVs have tacho calibration tests every two years and are calibrated to
a far tighter tolerance than a car.

They maybe but how often are the graphs checked by the MOD ? once
every blue moon I would imagine have you ever seen or read about any
HGV driver being prosecuted for speeding on taco evidence alone .

The Ministry Of Defence vehicles are exempt. There's been articles
about HGV drivers being convicted for speeding on tacho evidence alone
quite a few times in Truck & Driver magazine. You can be prosecuted for
speeding up to 12 months from the date of the offence via tachograph
evidence alone. For example if your yard was in an area like mine where
the nearest motorway is 40 miles away in any direction and the tacho
chart showed you doing 56MPH within 40 miles of base you could be
prosecuted and indeed this has happened to individuals. The only
difference is it is done by the Traffic Commissioner and not a local
magistrate. This means the penalties are far higher.

When was the last time your car speedos accuracy was checked?

Can't tell you only had this particular car three months and in any
case the next time I get done for speeding will be my first
even the police are not bothered in the slightest about HGV's
speeding on motor ways .

Thats because they don't speed. Even a recent DfT study showed that.

I know this for a fact I was once driving on the M6 quite a few years
ago before taco's came into being and a HGV over took me at well over
70 MPH I was doing 70 at the time and he was out of sight in no time.
A friend in the car with me took his number and we called in at the
Police station just of the M6 at Samlesbury told the motorway police
that where in there and they just shrugged their sholders and said
what do you want us to do about it go chasing after him ! .
Grant .

Must've been a decade ago. Got anything a little more recent? HGVs have
speed limiters fitted and have by law since around 1994. Any HGV
registered after 1/1/1988 has to have a fully working and certified
speed limiter. A lorry with a defective speedlimiter sticks out like a
sore thumb and the Police DO pull them. Also we are subject ot random
roadside checks at weighbridges etc where Vehicle Inspectorate
officials check the vehicles and tachographs in the drivers possession.

Martin² November 24th 03 12:55 AM

The effects of a road congestion tax

Pete Smith:
then asked Conor (who drives a truck, and who therefore has speed
limiting hardware in the truck) what the legal position would be for him
"to have a blown fuse", and the result is that it needs fixing very soon,
ie the same day. If cars have speed limiters (GPS or otherwise), they will
probably put a law in place to ensure that it is working at all times, and
if it isn't, it needs fixing within hours.

Yes, but it's one thing to enforce it on relatively few trucks, which are
mostly driven by employees who aren't personally bothered anyway.
But how do you compel 20m private car owners to have OPERATIONAL sat / gps
black box in the car which charges them £x.xx for every mile their drive ?
There is no easy way to check and virtually no police on the roads to do it,
IF they come up with a way. Just about the only thing the gov. could do is
to include it in the MOT.
Regards,
Martin

Neil Williams November 24th 03 08:24 PM

wrote:

Car speedos overread up to 10%. It is quite feasible that your actual
speed , not indicated speed, was as low as 55MPH which is 5MPH below
the HGV speed limit. Onmy last wagon, I knew how inaccurate the speedo
was..0.5 MPH at 56MPH because the tyres were part worn.

Or was it on a hill, perhaps? AFAIAA, speed limiters only cause loss
of power. Sudden, involuntary braking could be highly dangerous in
poor road conditions.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.

Clive D. W. Feather November 25th 03 06:59 AM

The effects of a road congestion tax

In article , Richard J.
writes
There is no law against the use of a mobile phone while moving on a
motorway.

Yes, there is. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 4)
Regulations 2003.

Which does not forbid the use of a mobile phone while moving on a
motorway. Nor does it forbid the use of a mobile phone while driving on
a motorway.

What I assume
you meant was that the system would not be able to distinguish between
legal and illegal use of a mobile mobile, not that all use was legal.

Whereas you implied that all use of a mobile on a motorway was illegal,
which is arrant nonsense.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Richard J. November 25th 03 03:12 PM

The effects of a road congestion tax

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Richard
J. writes
There is no law against the use of a mobile phone while moving on a
motorway.

Yes, there is. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment)
(No. 4) Regulations 2003.

Which does not forbid the use of a mobile phone while moving on a
motorway. Nor does it forbid the use of a mobile phone while driving
on
a motorway.

What I assume
you meant was that the system would not be able to distinguish
between legal and illegal use of a mobile mobile, not that all use
was legal.

Whereas you implied that all use of a mobile on a motorway was
illegal, which is arrant nonsense.

It's a semantic issue. What does "There is no law against activity" mean?

(a) activity is lawful in all circumstances, or
(b) There is no law which prohibits activity in general, though specific
forms of activity may be unlawful.

You evidently think it means (b); I think it means (a). I suggest we agree
to differ.

--
Richard J.

Ian Smith November 26th 03 06:13 PM

wrote:

I'd like to believe that. However, I still think we need to

start
back at square 1 with taxation based on income, to the exclusion of
all others. Non income based taxation puts a disproportionate load

on
those with lower incomes, and are therefore unfair.

What's the point of going to all the trouble of having a consistent
system of *money* and guarding the value of the currency, if poor
people then pay less than the rich for the same goods and services?

My point was that everyone should pay tax proportionally to their
income (same % for all, rich and poor alike), and all other taxes
abolished. I didn't say the poor should pay less than the rich for
goods and services they choose to buy. However, taxes paid directly on
those same goods and services (many essential to life) are a larger %
of the poorer man's income. A level playing field for everyone is all
I propose. Not that I ever expect it to happen!

Ian Smith November 26th 03 06:15 PM

[...]

Now you're talking sense.

Ian Smith November 26th 03 06:25 PM

The effects of a road congestion tax

"Robin May" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Ian Smith" wrote the following
in:

I'd venture that the USA, the richest country in the world, got
there by promoting economic growth through cheap transportation of
goods and people; not by strangling free trade with punitive
taxation.

And in America cheap transportation seems to mean everyone has a car
from virtually the age of 16 and petrol is so cheap that people

won't
walk 5 minutes down the road to their friend's house. It's cheap
transportation achieved as a result of a 'sod the environment'
mentality.

Which is why I suggested regulations on car fuel economy figures,
somewhat more stringently than they do in the US; and not a difficult
thing to achieve. Gone are the gas guzzlers, regardless of how cheap
fuel becomes. Result is everyone uses less fuel, since the rich can't
then simply buy their way out and pollute more. And, by removing the
fuel tax, money gets freed up for other economic activities.

Ian Smith November 26th 03 06:28 PM

"Huge" wrote in message
"Ian Smith" writes:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

[31 lines snipped]

The idea of ETR isn't to add a tax, it's to replace all of the

existing
ones with ones based around what causes unsustainable damage to

the
environment.

I'd like to believe that. However, I still think we need to

start
back at square 1 with taxation based on income, to the exclusion of
all others.

Just so long as it's a flat rate. "Progressive" (I hate that word in

this
context) taxation is iniquitious.

Yes, that's what I meant, even though I didn't phrase it very
well. One % for all. I wonder what that figure would be, based on
current government income/expenditure, assuming all other taxes
removed (and corporate tax remained constant)?

Stimpy November 26th 03 07:51 PM

Robin May wrote:
"Ian Smith" wrote the following
in:

I'd venture that the USA, the richest country in the world, got
there by promoting economic growth through cheap transportation of
goods and people; not by strangling free trade with punitive
taxation.

And in America cheap transportation seems to mean everyone has a car
from virtually the age of 16 and petrol is so cheap that people won't
walk 5 minutes down the road to their friend's house. It's cheap
transportation achieved as a result of a 'sod the environment'
mentality.

....and the problem here is?

Philip Rudling November 27th 03 06:28 PM

The effects of a road congestion tax

Even based on value and CO2 it discriminates against the poor.

Bollox. The poor cannot afford a car - Congestion Charging makes bus
travel quicker, (and cheaper if the proceeds are used to subsidise public
transport), therefore the poor benefit.

Clive D. W. Feather November 27th 03 07:56 PM

The effects of a road congestion tax

In article , Richard
J. writes
It's a semantic issue. What does "There is no law against activity" mean?
(a) activity is lawful in all circumstances, or
(b) There is no law which prohibits activity in general, though specific
forms of activity may be unlawful.

(c) In the majority of circumstances activity is not prohibited,
though there may be cases where it is.

I suggest we agree
to differ.

Okay.

Matt B November 27th 03 07:59 PM

"Philip Rudling" wrote in message

Even based on value and CO2 it discriminates against the poor.

Bollox.

So you think a tax based on car value and CO2 emmissions takes into account
ability yo pay? Explain?

The poor cannot afford a car

Because of artificial costs (VED, Fuel Duty, Insurance, MOT, Congestion
Charges) added by the government.

- Congestion Charging makes bus travel quicker,

There are no buses here.

(and cheaper if the proceeds are used to subsidise public transport),
therefore the poor benefit.

Not where there are no buses.

Matt B

Phil November 30th 03 02:51 AM

The effects of a road congestion tax

Whereas you implied that all use of a mobile on a motorway was
illegal, which is arrant nonsense.

It's a semantic issue.

No it isn't. The new legislation outlaws /holding/ a mobile, not using
it.

--
Phil