Old November 20th 03, 09:38 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default The effects of a road congestion tax

How prey, do they propose to enforce the use of satellite and / or cellular
phone tracker systems for cars ?

This is a madly expensive way to TRY to solve congestion in relatively small
number of places.
And, as with petrol, people will just pay what it takes to go where they
want to go and when they want to go.
Congestion is self defeating anyway, so unless you build more roads, you may
as well do nothing !
It would be much better to concentrate of keeping the traffic moving, sort
of stand Livingstone on his stupid head....
Regards,
Martin

Old November 20th 03, 10:07 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"Martin²" wrote in message
How prey, do they propose to enforce the use of satellite and / or

cellular
phone tracker systems for cars ?

This is a madly expensive way to TRY to solve congestion in relatively

small
number of places.
And, as with petrol, people will just pay what it takes to go where they
want to go and when they want to go.
Congestion is self defeating anyway, so unless you build more roads, you

may
as well do nothing !
It would be much better to concentrate of keeping the traffic moving, sort
of stand Livingstone on his stupid head....
Regards,
Martin

Congestion charging is about keeping the traffic moving though. You remove
about 10% of the traffic by pricing it out, and then the traffic can move,
road capacity increases, and journey times drop ~30%

Old November 21st 03, 08:31 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 22:38:15 -0000, "Martin²"
wrote:

How prey, do they propose to enforce the use of satellite and / or cellular
phone tracker systems for cars ?

They're trialling it with HGVs. Cars next, no doubt:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ht_503872.hcsp

This is a madly expensive way to TRY to solve congestion in relatively small
number of places.
And, as with petrol, people will just pay what it takes to go where they
want to go and when they want to go.

Yes, but I suppose the rationale is that eventually you reach a point
where it becomes cheaper to use another mode. I know that surveys
suggest around 30% of motorists state that they will never switch
modes but that leaves 70% who might consider it..... Mind you - even
if they charged 50p/mile on the M6 it would still be cheaper than
Virgin on peak trains

Congestion is self defeating anyway, so unless you build more roads, you may
as well do nothing !
It would be much better to concentrate of keeping the traffic moving, sort
of stand Livingstone on his stupid head....
Regards,
Martin

Eh? Within the charging zone congestion has been reduced. I appreciate
that on the boundaries it has stayed the same (or perhaps increased)
but if (for example) there was a national charging scheme there
wouldn't be such precipices.

--

ø€º°`°º€ø,,,,ø€º°`°º€ø,,,,ø€º°`°º€ø,,,,ø€º°`°º€ø
Please reply to the group
Old November 21st 03, 09:55 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article ,
says...
How prey, do they propose to enforce the use of satellite and / or cellular
phone tracker systems for cars ?

Exactly the same way they forced speedlimiters on HGVs. Make it law.

--
Conor

Hi. This is my friend, Jack ****, and you don't know him.
Old November 22nd 03, 02:09 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Conor
Exactly the same way they forced speedlimiters on HGVs. Make it law.

Law against a burnt fuse supplying power to the sat / gps tracker ?
Regards,
Martin

Old November 22nd 03, 06:24 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:46:46 -0000, Pete Smith
wrote:
Out of interest, I've a feeling that if a truck has a non functioning
tachometer/limiter due to a blown fuse, that this is against the
regs/laws, and the truck must be taken out of active duty until it's
fixed.

There must be quite a few on the roads in that condition I was on the
M61 the other day doing 60MPH and no less than half a dozen HGV's
went racing passed me eight wheel articulated's at that its time speed
cameras where erected on our motor ways .
Grant .
Old November 23rd 03, 12:04 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Pete Smith you missed the point, not read earlier posts.

We were discussing the proposed satellite / gps tracking and congestion
charging private cars
as proposed by the EU boffins aided and abetted by mad prof. Begg.
(not speed limiters)

I was questioning how they think they will enforce it.
What's to stop you disconnecting the device (e.g. blown fuse) or jamming the
GPS signals ?
Regards,
Martin

LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was:Tube strike] Mizter T London Transport 39 June 15th 09 11:34 AM
Road Hog Road Tax Cartoon. Clangnuts London Transport 1 March 24th 07 01:06 PM
'Mares promise to Tax School run Mums Yanart Amin Ari London Transport 6 May 27th 04 02:21 PM
New Tax Discs Nigel London Transport 41 February 27th 04 01:29 PM
Big car owners face tax hike dave F London Transport 11 October 20th 03 12:45 PM