Old January 28th 10, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default oyster data analysis

http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.4915

Commuting in a polycentric city

Camille Roth, Soong Moon Kang, Michael Batty, Marc Barthelemy

The spatial arrangement of urban hubs and centers and how individuals
interact with these centers is a crucial problem with many
applications ranging from urban planning to epidemiology. We utilize
here in an unprecedented manner the large scale, real-time 'Oyster'
card database of individual person movements in the London subway to
reveal the structure and organization of the city. We show that
patterns of intraurban movement are strongly heterogeneous in terms of
volume, but not in distance, and that there is a polycentric structure
composed of simple flow patterns organized around a limited number of
activity centers arranged in a hierarchical way. This new
understanding can shed light on the impact of new urban projects on
the evolution of the polycentric configuration of a city and provides
an initial approach to modeling flows in an urban system.

#Paul

Old January 30th 10, 08:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, wrote:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.4915

Commuting in a polycentric city

Good to see interesting things are being done with the Oyster data. Not
convinced by their clustering algorithm, but it's still worth reading.

tom

--
I know thats not really relevant but I've just typed the words and my
backspace key doesn't work. -- phorenzik

LU end-to-end journey data Tom Anderson London Transport 50 May 6th 07 09:40 AM
Oyster data Roland Perry London Transport 3 March 20th 06 12:57 AM
LBC Satellite Data Vernon London Transport 20 May 22nd 05 05:04 PM
Oyster card data j London Transport 0 October 16th 03 05:33 PM
Underground data plates Clive D. W. Feather London Transport 6 August 25th 03 06:46 AM