Old May 11th 05, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LBC Satellite Data

When LBC Travel News talk of travel information derived from "Satellite
Data", what sort of satellite help are they getting? I am aware of GPS for
navigation, but I can't see how that could help with determining the levels
of realtime traffic problems.

Just curious, but does anyone here know?

Old May 11th 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 May 2005 07:53:02 +0100, "Vernon"
wrote:

When LBC Travel News talk of travel information derived from "Satellite
Data", what sort of satellite help are they getting? I am aware of GPS for
navigation, but I can't see how that could help with determining the levels
of realtime traffic problems.

Just curious, but does anyone here know?

Knowing them (& the "radio travel news" world) as I do, Yes...I can
tell you.

1: Trafficmaster sensor readings - the blue poles by the side of the
road. www.trafficmaster.net

2: A system run by ITIS called TAG, although I'm not sure whether
they've started using this. Rough system diagram at
http://www.itisholdings.com/ourtech.asp

3: Highways agency "RTT" system - Induction loops in the road surface.
Google it, there's a "non professional" version online somewhere.

All of these, combined with your other information sources can build
up a good picture of what's happening.

HTH

Nik
www.nikthevoice.com
Old May 12th 05, 12:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Vernon wrote:
When LBC Travel News talk of travel information derived from "Satellite
Data", what sort of satellite help are they getting? I am aware of GPS for
navigation, but I can't see how that could help with determining the levels
of realtime traffic problems.

Just curious, but does anyone here know?

Years ago they used to have 'real time travel data' which was linked to
the Trafficmaster system. This monitored the speed of individual cars
from point A to point B (while making the actual registration number
anonomous) to give a journey time.

I suspect it's the same system with 'satellite' being used as a bit of
hyperbole

Old May 12th 05, 02:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stuart" wrote in message
news

I suspect it's the same system with 'satellite' being
used as a bit of hyperbole

Parabole, surely.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 12th 05, 08:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Nik, I suspect that you have come up with the answer with TAG. I was
not aware of this system (I don't have the sort of car that is worth such
protection!)

Old May 12th 05, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 12 May 2005, John Rowland wrote:

"Stuart" wrote in message
news
I suspect it's the same system with 'satellite' being used as a bit of
hyperbole

Parabole, surely.

Parabolic orbits are open (ie end up shooting off into deep space), and so
not much use for satellites. Personally, i'd never let such a technically
inaccurate pun pass my ellipse.

tom

--
A plug on its back, straining to suck voltage from the sky

Old May 12th 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 May 2005, John Rowland wrote:

"Stuart" wrote in message
news
I suspect it's the same system with 'satellite'
being used as a bit of hyperbole

Parabole, surely.

Parabolic orbits are open (ie end up shooting off into
deep space), and so not much use for satellites.
Personally, i'd never let such a technically
inaccurate pun pass my ellipse.

Satellite *dishes* are parabolic.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 12th 05, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 May 2005, John Rowland wrote:
"Stuart" wrote in message
news
I suspect it's the same system with 'satellite' being used as a bit of
hyperbole

Parabole, surely.

Parabolic orbits are open (ie end up shooting off into deep space), and so
not much use for satellites. Personally, i'd never let such a technically
inaccurate pun pass my ellipse.
tom

ROFL - thanks for that one !!!
Cheerz,
Baz

Old May 12th 05, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Stuart wrote:
Vernon wrote:

When LBC Travel News talk of travel information derived from "Satellite
Data", what sort of satellite help are they getting? I am aware of
GPS for
navigation, but I can't see how that could help with determining the
levels
of realtime traffic problems.

Just curious, but does anyone here know?

Years ago they used to have 'real time travel data' which was linked to
the Trafficmaster system. This monitored the speed of individual cars
from point A to point B (while making the actual registration number
anonomous) to give a journey time.

Don't TfL do this with the congestion charge cameras too, i.e. measure
the journey times of individual cars between two cameras to get traffic
information for particular links?

I always thought that these traffic-monitoring systems should be
integrated somewhat with the London Buses data. At the moment, the
London Buses realtime information is not particularly realtime, and
generally only talks about roadworks, scheduled diversions and scheduled
disruptive events like demonstrations. I'd like to know how congested a
given link is, so I can plan my bus journey to avoid it, or use the Tube
instead.

A very impressive system would be to not only have accurate Countdown
information online and at stops, but also to have dynamically-estimated
journey times to destinations from that stop, available both online and
via Countdown at the stop itself. Integrate this into Journey Planner
for those looking for journeys departing "now", and you get an extremely
accurate guide as to the quickest way to your destination.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 13th 05, 01:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I always thought that these traffic-monitoring systems should be
integrated somewhat with the London Buses data. At the moment, the
London Buses realtime information is not particularly realtime, and
generally only talks about roadworks, scheduled diversions and scheduled
disruptive events like demonstrations. I'd like to know how congested a
given link is, so I can plan my bus journey to avoid it, or use the Tube
instead.

A very impressive system would be to not only have accurate Countdown
information online and at stops, but also to have dynamically-estimated
journey times to destinations from that stop, available both online and
via Countdown at the stop itself. Integrate this into Journey Planner
for those looking for journeys departing "now", and you get an extremely
accurate guide as to the quickest way to your destination.

That sounds like a fantastic idea - a sort of Live Departure Boards
for buses, complete with estimated arrival times for all stops on each
bus's route. That way you'd know exactly when to leave home/work for
the stop round the corner, and never have to wait more than a couple
of mins for your bus even if the service is only 4bph or 6bph. And
with the estimated arrival times, you'd be able to decide exactly when
to abandon your usual route if it's disrupted and go a different way
instead, or leave early as it's going to take a bit longer!

Watch Satellite TV On Your PC sat-pctv.com London Transport 0 September 14th 07 12:50 PM
Oyster data Roland Perry London Transport 3 March 20th 06 01:57 AM
Jubilee Line spotting by satellite Rupert Goodwins London Transport 3 March 12th 05 08:04 PM
Oyster card data j London Transport 0 October 16th 03 06:33 PM
Underground data plates Clive D. W. Feather London Transport 6 August 25th 03 07:46 AM