Old February 8th 10, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Conflict of Oyster Cards

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 03:26:10 -0800 (PST) someone who may be Mizter T
wrote this:-

as your example makes clear,
relying on all flats to have a letter suffix as the sole way of
identifying this is daft.

There has been a move to renumber flats in Edinburgh, no letter
suffixes but instead number suffixes.

This came about because idiot computer programmers came up with
software unable to cope with the way tenements are traditionally
numbered in Edinburgh, which is typically TFR, 75 Main Street,...
TFR is top floor right, there are other abbreviations for the other
flats, but idiot computer programmers prevented this and the other
abbreviations being entered.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54

Old February 8th 10, 01:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Feb 8, 3:39*pm, wrote:

Top up TV requires a special box though. Presumably when you buy the box a note
is made of its serial number or something like it and when you pay your
subscription you're given a number unique to your box for the next period..

Or at least I imagine thats how it works.

It uses viewing cards inserted into the box.

Neil
Old February 8th 10, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 06:52:03 -0800 (PST)
Neil Williams wrote:
On Feb 8, 3:39=A0pm, wrote:

Top up TV requires a special box though. Presumably when you buy the box =

a note
is made of its serial number or something like it and when you pay your
subscription you're given a number unique to your box for the next period=

..

Or at least I imagine thats how it works.

It uses viewing cards inserted into the box.

Not since 2007 it hasn't apparently.

B2003

Old February 8th 10, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Feb 8, 5:00*pm, wrote:

It uses viewing cards inserted into the box.

Not since 2007 it hasn't apparently.

I have had a box since about 2008 (one of the Thomson PVRs) and it
does have a viewing card, though I binned it as I decided not to
continue the TUTV bit.

Might well be that they have changed the setup so you don't *have* to
use one of those boxes, though.

Neil
Old February 8th 10, 03:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Feb 8, 4:11*pm, Neil Williams wrote:

On Feb 8, 5:00*pm, wrote:

It uses viewing cards inserted into the box.

Not since 2007 it hasn't apparently.

I have had a box since about 2008 (one of the Thomson PVRs) and it
does have a viewing card, though I binned it as I decided not to
continue the TUTV bit.

Might well be that they have changed the setup so you don't *have* to
use one of those boxes, though.

No - you basically need a specific "Top Up TV Anytime" box now - the
programmes are broadcast encrypted overnight, picked up and recorded
by the box, which is essentially a hard-disk PVR/ DVR - the subscriber
then has a library of programmes to watch. Apparently there remains a
legacy service - unavailable to new subscribers - with a limited range
of channels still broadcast for 'live' viewing. All sounds a bit
pointless - the latter especially so.

Info from:
http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/topuptvanytime.html
Old February 8th 10, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Feb 8, 5:32*pm, Mizter T wrote:

No - you basically need a specific "Top Up TV Anytime" box now

That's what I've got (though now minus the TUTV, which I only had for
an initial free period). And it has (well, had) a viewing card.

It's not a bad PVR so far as the Freeview ones go. (None seems as
good as a Sky+ in software and stability terms, unfortunately).

Neil
Old February 8th 10, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Feb 8, 4:41*pm, Neil Williams wrote:

On Feb 8, 5:32*pm, Mizter T wrote:

No - you basically need a specific "Top Up TV Anytime" box now

That's what I've got (though now minus the TUTV, which I only had for
an initial free period). *And it has (well, had) a viewing card.

Sorry, I skim-read your post and missed you saying that.

It's not a bad PVR so far as the Freeview ones go. *(None seems as
good as a Sky+ in software and stability terms, unfortunately).

Sky+ does seem to 'just work' most of the time.
Old February 8th 10, 07:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Feb 8, 8:08*pm, (Paul Cummins) wrote:

(Mizter T) wrote:
Intrigued... gun licence?

No.

(Or more likely I suppose, you're not a viewer of broadcast
television.)

Nope, I have Analogue, Freeview and Digital Sat kit here, as well as a TV
and a TV tuner for my 22inch PC screen.

I am satisfied that I'm not breaking the law, and I believe I could
satisfy a Magistrate too.

OK, you've got lots of kit for watching broadcast television, so I'm
rather guessing you do watch broadcast television. I guess you reckon
that you've identified a legal loophole somewhere.