Old February 10th 10, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Conflict of Oyster Cards

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:10:55 +0000, David Hansen
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 02:28:33 +0000 someone who may be Charles Ellson
wrote this:-

Midlothian as a
registration county still contains Edinburgh :-
http://www.ros.gov.uk/pdfs/map.pdf

So what?

Er, that's a government function.

The fact that an "arms length" "agency" has got something wrong
tells me a number of things, mostly about "Next Steps".

You're dodging the issue that there is no single official way of
defining locations and areas. Is the Strathclyde Fire and Rescue
service "wrong" because there is no local authority of that name ?
Dividing Scotland into counties for land registration purposes
predates any modern national government arrangements.

Old February 11th 10, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:32:27 +0000 someone who may be Charles Ellson
wrote this:-

The fact that an "arms length" "agency" has got something wrong
tells me a number of things, mostly about "Next Steps".

You're dodging the issue that there is no single official way of
defining locations and areas.

I don't think so. The maladies of "arms length" "agencies" were
clear decades ago.

Is the Strathclyde Fire and Rescue
service "wrong" because there is no local authority of that name ?

Bad example. There was once a council of that name [1], but the word
also refers to the Clyde valley which is not that much smaller than
the former council. So that can be excused, though I'm not a great
fan of organisations that use the name.

I can't think of other areas where some government organisations
have clung to the old Regional Council name, unless on
gerrymandering it was the Regional Council which absorbed the
District Councils.

[1] and there was once a Kingdom of that name, so if land
registration people think it goes back to the days before modern
government then they should be using that name.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Old February 11th 10, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote this:-

The fact that an "arms length" "agency" has got something wrong
tells me a number of things, mostly about "Next Steps".

You're dodging the issue that there is no single official way of
defining locations and areas.

I don't think so. The maladies of "arms length" "agencies" were
clear decades ago.

Is the Strathclyde Fire and Rescue
service "wrong" because there is no local authority of that name ?

Bad example. There was once a council of that name [1], but the word
also refers to the Clyde valley which is not that much smaller than
the former council. So that can be excused, though I'm not a great
fan of organisations that use the name.

I can't think of other areas where some government organisations
have clung to the old Regional Council name,

Try the courts, fire brigades, police, NHS, Meteorological Office,
Scottish Assessors and no doubt a few more.

unless on
gerrymandering it was the Regional Council which absorbed the
District Councils.

[1] and there was once a Kingdom of that name, so if land
registration people think it goes back to the days before modern
government then they should be using that name.

Not that far back, the Register of Sasines was created (according to
Wonkypaedia) by the Registration Act 1617 although ISTR the origins
are earlier but less universal.