London Banter

-   -   London Travelwatch on OEPs (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10429-london-travelwatch-oeps.html)

MIG February 5th 10 11:15 AM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

I hadn't noticed this. Not mincing words.

http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/news.php?id=700

"Scrap OEPs now, says watchdog

London TravelWatch has called for the Oyster Extension Permits to be
scrapped.

Oyster Extension Permits, which were introduced by train companies
last week when Oyster Pay As You Go became available on national rail
services (successfully), are needed every time a passenger with a
zonal ticket on an Oystercard travels outside of their normal zones on
the railway.

Sharon Grant, Chair, London TravelWatch, said: “We are concerned that
passengers will be liable for penalty fares or fines as the permits
are difficult to understand and difficult to buy. Oyster PAYG is a
useful, convenient way of getting around London, but these permits are
the reverse of useful and convenient.”

Oyster Extension Permits have been hard for passengers to buy at
ticket machines, owing to technical problems for some train operators
and London TravelWatch has heard reports that not all train companies
are even enforcing them as they are so utterly bewildering for
passengers.

Sharon Grant, Chair, London TravelWatch said: “The Oyster Extension
Permit was a bad idea which is unnecessarily complicated, and it
should be dumped as soon as possible.”"

Mizter T February 5th 10 11:50 AM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On Feb 5, 12:15*pm, MIG wrote:

[...]

Yeah, saw that a few weeks ago - I think I'd read about Ms Grant's
comments elsewhere, so went to the LTW website so as to hear it from
the horse's mouth. Note also Peter Hendy's objection to the OEP system
as expressed in the latest TfL Board papers, describing it as an
"impediment to travel" and stating that TfL does not support it.

Given the fact that OEPs are not readily available from a great many
NR stations, I don't think any PFs that might be issued to anyone
travelling from said stations without an OEP would stand up to a
moment's scrutiny, so much so that I wonder if the PF would even be
issued in the first place. I'm certainly not going to go out of my way
to get an OEP if it's not available from my starting station (not sure
whether I'd be even bothered enough to descend into the bowels of
London Bridge to get an OEP from the Tube station ticket machines). Of
course putting this to the test might be hard, as it would involve
actually encountering someone doing revenue protection duties...

MIG February 5th 10 01:09 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On 5 Feb, 12:50, Mizter T wrote:
On Feb 5, 12:15*pm, MIG wrote:

[...]

I can't remember the last time I encountered such a thing on SET or
Southern. On SWT sometimes and on LM nearly every time. It'll be
those people doing a job ... think it begins with "g" ...

I think LM is a good bet for experimentation.

Mizter T February 5th 10 02:33 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On Feb 5, 2:09*pm, MIG wrote:

On 5 Feb, 12:50, Mizter T wrote:

On Feb 5, 12:15*pm, MIG wrote:

I hadn't noticed this. *Not mincing words.

http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/news.php?id=700

"Scrap OEPs now, says watchdog

London TravelWatch has called for the Oyster Extension Permits to be
scrapped.
[snip rest of LTW press release]

[...]

I should add, I'm not planning on traipsing round the railways of
London actively looking for a confrontation! Just that, I wouldn't let
the lack of an OEP deter me from travelling at all. The problem is, of
course, that the blurb says an OEP must be obtained before travelling,
so it puts people who're trying to do the right thing in an awkward
position - but I'd have no qualms about travelling should an OEP not
be obtainable from my starting station (if there was a newsagents
directly next to the station then maybe, I might get one - but if I
wasn't buying anything else it'd feel a bit weird to go in there to
ask for a 'free' ticket, though I suppose along with people coming in
to check their Oyster PAYG balance and not buying anything it could be
said to be part of the quid-pro-quo when you agree to retail Oyster
products, given the number of people it does bring through the door).

I suppose one argument that the TOCs could deploy would be that if an
OEP wasn't available (ticket machine and ticket office couldn't issue
them), *but* the ticket office was open, then the pax should buy a
standard paper extension ticket instead - though this would be a bit
more expensive than the equivalent (and automatically deducted) Oyster
PAYG fare for the extension. Though I think I'd still say stuff that!
(I dare say you might suggest some parallels with the old days pre-
PAYG expansion w.r.t. paper Travelcards and pricey paper ticket
extension fares, though I don't think the situations are directly
comparable.)

Re LM and experimentation - I'm not so sure it would be a good venue
for testing the waters actually, because Oyster PAYG was fully
available on LM between Euston, H&W and Watford Junction before the
great PAYG expansion of January gone and they obviously didn't have
any requirement for an OEP type arrangement back then. Plus all three
stations are gated too, though yes, LM use ungated platforms at
Euston. Also OEPs are not required for travel on the parallel London
Overground DC line service (LO doesn't count as NR for OEP and other
fare purposes), so I have my doubts as to whether OEPs are really a
requirement on this line, and maybe its just easier to say they are
for purposes of presenting a consistent picture across all NR lines in
London. And even if they are technically required, I rather suspect
that requirement might not be enforced in reality. Oh, and I don't
think LM guards automatically have the authority to issue PFs, do they?

Tim Woodall February 5th 10 03:18 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 07:33:18 -0800 (PST),
Mizter T wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure LM guards still don't have the ability to check oyster
cards at all so they can't even check whether PAYG is correctly touched
in or not, let alone whether there is an OEP present on a oyster season
ticket.

(As an aside I recently went back to a Gold Card for Watford
Junction-Euston instead of using PAYG. In the first week I managed to
twice use my oyster card - once "correctly" at both ends and a second
time when leaving the platform 16 at Euston where the "beep, beep" of
people touching their cards was irresistable and I had to join in. -
There would have been a third case about a month later except that after
the first two I moved my oyster card to my wallet instead of with my
season ticket. TfL have refunded the money after I sent them a
photocopy of my season ticket.)

Tim.

and there was light.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/

Matthew Dickinson February 5th 10 03:24 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On 5 Feb, 15:33, Mizter T wrote:
On Feb 5, 2:09*pm, MIG wrote:

On 5 Feb, 12:50, Mizter T wrote:

On Feb 5, 12:15*pm, MIG wrote:

[...]

Five.... remember Bushey and Wembley Central.

Another factor is that London Midland ticket machines have not been
upgraded to issue OEPs.

[email protected] February 5th 10 03:26 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

[...]

I'm still struggling to envisage a typical journey which both requires an
OEP and starts at an NR station.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

MIG February 5th 10 04:09 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On 5 Feb, 16:26, wrote:
In article
,

(Mizter T) wrote:
[...]

The majority I'd have thought, given that from Oyster's point of view,
the journey starts where you last touched in.

Mizter T February 5th 10 04:10 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On Feb 5, 4:24*pm, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:

On 5 Feb, 15:33, Mizter T wrote:

On Feb 5, 2:09*pm, MIG wrote:
[big snip]
[...]

Shoots, yes, of course, how could I forget poor old Bushey! Is the
station gated now? It wasn't a year or so ago.

Wembley Central only half counts in my book as hardly any LM trains
stop there (also the platforms they stop at are not within the gated
area).

Another factor is that London Midland ticket machines have not been
upgraded to issue OEPs.

Do they handle Oyster at all?

MIG February 5th 10 04:12 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On 5 Feb, 17:10, Mizter T wrote:
On Feb 5, 4:24*pm, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:

On 5 Feb, 15:33, Mizter T wrote:

On Feb 5, 2:09*pm, MIG wrote:
[big snip]
[...]

The machines at Euston have Oyster pads ... are they LO or LM though?

Mizter T February 5th 10 04:22 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On Feb 5, 4:26*pm, wrote:

(Mizter T) wrote:
[...]

Really? You said something similar in another thread. In that case I
think you're being completely devoid of any imagination, to be blunt!

Ok, Forest Hill (z3) to East Croydon (z5) - pax holds a z1-3
Travelcard for their commute into town (train to London Bridge then
Tube), but they want to go to Croydon to do some shopping.

Westcombe Park (z3) to Charing Cross (z1) - pax holds a z2&3
Travelcard for their commute to Canary Wharf (train and DLR), but they
want to head into town.

Putney (z2/3) to Richmond (z4) - pax holds a z1&2 Travelcard for their
commute into town (train to Waterloo then W&C line into the City), but
they want to go and have a walk and drink by the river.

I could go on, and on, and on, but I won't! There are a gazillion
examples.

(I'm wondering if you've got the wrong end of the stick on this OEP
business?)

Mizter T February 5th 10 04:31 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

wrote:

Another factor is that London Midland ticket machines have not been
upgraded to issue OEPs.

Do they handle Oyster at all?

The machines at Euston have Oyster pads ... are they LO or LM though?

LM. In which case I think we might be able to say that the Scheidt &
Bachmann ticket machines which are equipped to 'do' Oyster nonetheless
can't 'do' OEPs for whatever reason - Southeastern has S&B machines,
and whilst they too do Oyster they don't do OEPs (must confess that I
haven't presented one with an Oyster card loaded with a Travelcard on
it yet, so I suppose it could be an option that's hidden, but I have
my doubts it would work like that).

Just wondering if the rule is that Shere ticket machines (such as
Southern) do OEPs, S&B don't (yet)?

(If so, then it's also interesting that LO have got some of both
types, I think.)

Paul Terry[_2_] February 5th 10 04:33 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In message
,
Mizter T writes

The problem is, of
course, that the blurb says an OEP must be obtained before travelling,
so it puts people who're trying to do the right thing in an awkward
position - but I'd have no qualms about travelling should an OEP not
be obtainable from my starting station (if there was a newsagents
directly next to the station then maybe, I might get one - but if I
wasn't buying anything else it'd feel a bit weird to go in there to
ask for a 'free' ticket, though I suppose along with people coming in
to check their Oyster PAYG balance and not buying anything it could be
said to be part of the quid-pro-quo when you agree to retail Oyster
products, given the number of people it does bring through the door).

Our local convenience store is an Oyster Stop, and I've frequently seen
people popping in to check their PAYG balance - sometimes they purchase
a top-up, but often they just check it and leave. As you say, it's
something that Oyster retailers have come to expect.

Out of devilment, I asked the shop owner if he'd heard of an OEP - "Oh
yes, bloody useless things" was the reply! But he says that he gets one
or two requests a day for them, even though he's not particularly near a
station.
--
Paul Terry

Paul Terry[_2_] February 5th 10 04:40 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In message ,
writes

I'm still struggling to envisage a typical journey which both requires an
OEP and starts at an NR station.

Person who has a Z1/Z2 travelcard for the daily commute between Putney
and Waterloo, and who decides to use PAYG to go out to Richmond in Z4
after work one day ... or thousands of similar circumstances.
--
Paul Terry

Mizter T February 5th 10 05:00 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On Feb 5, 5:33*pm, Paul Terry wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Yeah. It was easier when they still had the black or turquoise
machines that also printed tickets (Day Travelcards and the like), as
they had a customer facing display... [searches for image] ...like
this:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/resources/corp...ter-card-3.jpg

Now the new "Pearl" devices seem to plug into existing POS kit (unsure
of the details), and they don't have any customer facing display, so
the retailer does now have to verbally communicate to the the
(potential) customer what their balance/ pass expiry date is.

Out of devilment, I asked the shop owner if he'd heard of an OEP - "Oh
yes, bloody useless things" was the reply! But he says that he gets one
or two requests a day for them, even though he's not particularly near a
station.

Ha! I haven't asked my local shopkeepers about them yet, I'll do so if
there's a convenient moment. I guess those one or two people might be
setting out on a bus to get to a station. Or maybe they're just
testing the water!

Mizter T February 5th 10 05:35 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On Feb 5, 6:21*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:22:38 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

(I'm wondering if you've got the wrong end of the stick on this OEP
business?)

I could always adapt the quiz that has been used in LUL as a "tester"
for staff to see if they understood all of the various issues relating
to Oyster on NR. *It covers a wide range of issues - I did it again
today and still only managed 11 out of 12! *I should really have got 12..

Might be fun to see how well people on the group understand the various
concepts.

Well, I'm game, I'm sure others are too. I'm dead curious to know what
it was that tripped you up... but don't tell us just that if you're
going to quiz us!

(I'm trying to think of obscure scenarios! A few obscure-ish ones come
to mind...)

Paul Terry[_2_] February 5th 10 05:51 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In message
,
Mizter T writes

On Feb 5, 5:33*pm, Paul Terry wrote:

Out of devilment, I asked the shop owner if he'd heard of an OEP - "Oh
yes, bloody useless things" was the reply! But he says that he gets one
or two requests a day for them, even though he's not particularly near a
station.

Ha! I haven't asked my local shopkeepers about them yet, I'll do so if
there's a convenient moment. I guess those one or two people might be
setting out on a bus to get to a station.

Almost certainly for the first part of their journey. The shop is next
to a stop with a fairly intensive bus service. At a guess, nearly half
of the passengers take a short ride to pick up SWT at Barnes (or
possibly Putney). Most of the rest transfer to LU at Hammersmith.
--
Paul Terry

Paul Terry[_2_] February 5th 10 07:09 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

stalker mode

Upper Richmond Road?

stalker mode

Congrats :)

Although your observation has reminded me that quite a few people from
the same Oyster Stop take the alternative 209 service to Hammersmith
from Avondale Road (every 4 minutes in the rush hour, and every 6
minutes otherwise) which is only a short walk away.

We may not have a tube station here, but the bus services these days are
really superlative.
--
Paul Terry

[email protected] February 5th 10 08:06 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

[...]

All the journeys I've seen before now were based on using the travelcard
season first, so in most cases starting in zone 1. I agree that if you
have a season to go one way and want to make a completely unrelated trip
in the other direction it would make sense.

I was thinking of a commuter making an after-work trip which would likely
bin in zone 1.

I hadn't thought of that sort of journey and agree. If I lived in Putney
and had a season to get to Westminster I could find getting an OEP to get
to Richmond a bit of a pain (though I now know the ticket stop on Putney
Hill near Putney Station quite well).

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] February 5th 10 08:21 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 18:51:20 +0000, Paul Terry
wrote:

Almost certainly for the first part of their journey. The shop is next
to a stop with a fairly intensive bus service. At a guess, nearly half
of the passengers take a short ride to pick up SWT at Barnes (or
possibly Putney). Most of the rest transfer to LU at Hammersmith.

stalker mode

Upper Richmond Road?

stalker mode

It's a helluva long road to try stalking on, though!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

MIG February 5th 10 09:32 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

wrote:

Another factor is that London Midland ticket machines have not been
upgraded to issue OEPs.

Do they handle Oyster at all?

The machines at Euston have Oyster pads ... are they LO or LM though?

LM. In which case I think we might be able to say that the Scheidt &
Bachmann ticket machines which are equipped to 'do' Oyster nonetheless
can't 'do' OEPs for whatever reason - Southeastern has S&B machines,
and whilst they too do Oyster they don't do OEPs (must confess that I
haven't presented one with an Oyster card loaded with a Travelcard on
it yet, so I suppose it could be an option that's hidden, but I have
my doubts it would work like that).

Yes, I've looked since and they are LM. It occurs to me that there
wouldn't be any LM stations where Oyster is valid that wouldn't also
be LO stations.

MIG February 5th 10 09:38 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On 5 Feb, 17:22, Mizter T wrote:
On Feb 5, 4:26*pm, wrote:

(Mizter T) wrote:
[...]

Ang on; aren't those just examples where they'd be on PAYG for the
whole journey?

The typical situation is you've got zone 1 - 2 and get on at Charing
Cross heading for Slade Green. You need the OEP if gripped between
Greenwich and Slade Green.

The journey begins at Charing Cross, which is an NR station.

[email protected] February 5th 10 10:11 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In article
,
(MIG) wrote:

Ang on; aren't those just examples where they'd be on PAYG for the
whole journey?

Good point.

The typical situation is you've got zone 1 - 2 and get on at Charing
Cross heading for Slade Green. You need the OEP if gripped between
Greenwich and Slade Green.

The journey begins at Charing Cross, which is an NR station.

But has an adjacent underground station. Many users will approach it such
that calling at a tube station won't be a major inconvenience.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul Terry[_2_] February 6th 10 08:01 AM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In message
, MIG
writes

On 5 Feb, 17:22, Mizter T wrote:

Putney (z2/3) to Richmond (z4) - pax holds a z1&2 Travelcard for their
commute into town (train to Waterloo then W&C line into the City), but
they want to go and have a walk and drink by the river.

Ang on; aren't those just examples where they'd be on PAYG for the
whole journey?

That's exactly what a lot of people would assume, because that is how
things work when using a travelcard + PAYG on TfL. In fact, your comment
goes to the very heart of the confusion about OEPs.

Unlike TfL, almost all of whose stations are gated, the TOCs weren't
willing to take the revenue risk of people who travel beyond their zones
simply not touching out at one of their many ungated stations, and thus
not paying anything for travelling out of zone.

Hence, an OEP is required. Touching in at Waterloo (in this example)
deducts a maximum cash fare, despite the fact there is a Z1/Z2
travelcard on the Oyster. The actual PAYG fare is then adjusted when
touching out (at Ricmond in Zone 4) - basically resulting in a charge
from the boundary of Zone 2 to Zone 4.

The theory is that if you are gripped on NR while travelling out of zone
without an OEP, you will be charged a penalty fare. The OEP acts as
evidence that money has already been deducted for travelling out of zone
when you touched in at Waterloo (*).

As has been said, there is considerable doubt that an appeal would find
such a penalty charge fair or even legal, given that a maximum cash fare
has already been paid at the start of the journey. It has been said (I
think by Caroline Pidgeon at Mayor's Questions) that some TOCs are
deliberately not issuing penalty fares in these circumstances in order
to avoid the courts declaring the entire OEP system invalid.

(* If you change your mind and get out at Putney, in Zone 2, the cash
fare is reimbursed when you touch out, and the OEP stays on the Oyster
for when you next want to travel out of zone).
--
Paul Terry

Railist February 6th 10 08:45 AM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On 5 Feb, 17:22, Mizter T wrote:
On Feb 5, 4:26*pm, wrote:

(Mizter T) wrote:
[...]

My real life example last week: found myself in Barking (had travelled
there from Chingford by bus).

Barking is in Zone 4, at the time I had Zone 1 - 3 travelcard.
When I touched in, on one platform were Westbound District line trains
and on the adjacent platform was a c2c train.
So I would need an OEP for one service bit not the other. I chickened
out and jumped on the District Line...

Paul Terry[_2_] February 6th 10 08:50 AM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In message
,
Railist writes

My real life example last week: found myself in Barking (had travelled
there from Chingford by bus).

Barking is in Zone 4, at the time I had Zone 1 - 3 travelcard.
When I touched in, on one platform were Westbound District line trains
and on the adjacent platform was a c2c train.
So I would need an OEP for one service bit not the other.

No. You don't need an OEP when travelling back into your zones - the
fare is handled by Oyster in the normal way (PAYG for the first bit and
travelcard for the rest).

You only need an OEP when travelling OUT of your zones by NR.
--
Paul Terry

Railist February 6th 10 08:57 AM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On 6 Feb, 09:50, Paul Terry wrote:
In message
,
Railist writes

My real life example last week: found myself in Barking (had travelled
there from Chingford by bus).

Barking is in Zone 4, at the time I had Zone 1 - 3 travelcard.
When I touched in, on one platform were Westbound District line trains
and on the adjacent platform was a c2c train.
So I would need an OEP for one service bit not the other.

No. You don't need an OEP when travelling back into your zones - the
fare is handled by Oyster in the normal way (PAYG for the first bit and
travelcard for the rest).

You only need an OEP when travelling OUT of your zones by NR.
--
Paul Terry

Oh right! That's good to know. I now have z1-5 so less likely to need
OEP...

Neil Williams February 6th 10 09:45 AM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

wrote:

Oh, and I don't
think LM guards automatically have the authority to issue PFs, do they?

I have never seen them do anything to a ticketless passenger other
than sell them a ticket. So far as I can tell, PFs only get issued by
gateline staff on LM.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

MIG February 6th 10 10:02 AM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On 5 Feb, 23:48, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:38:17 -0800 (PST), MIG

wrote:
On 5 Feb, 17:22, Mizter T wrote:
Ok, Forest Hill (z3) to East Croydon (z5) - pax holds a z1-3
Travelcard for their commute into town (train to London Bridge then
Tube), but they want to go to Croydon to do some shopping.

Westcombe Park (z3) to Charing Cross (z1) - pax holds a z2&3
Travelcard for their commute to Canary Wharf (train and DLR), but they
want to head into town.

Putney (z2/3) to Richmond (z4) - pax holds a z1&2 Travelcard for their
commute into town (train to Waterloo then W&C line into the City), but
they want to go and have a walk and drink by the river.

I could go on, and on, and on, but I won't! There are a gazillion
examples.

Ang on; aren't those just examples where they'd be on PAYG for the
whole journey?

Eh? *In every example that Mizter T as outlined you commence in your
Travelcard zones, are using a NR service, and arrive at an out of zonal
validity destination on a NR service. *That means an OEP is needed. *On
the return leg where you commence outside the zones then an OEP is *not*
required.

You are right, and I realised afterwards, that in Mizter T's examples
you'd be touching in at a boundary station where the travelcard was
valid.

My focus was on the fact that it wouldn't be necessary to be doing
something like that for the journey to start at an NR station. Unless
the journey involved a change somewhere like Stratford or Barking,
you'd nearly always be starting the OEP-needing journey at an NR
station.

The typical situation is you've got zone 1 - 2 and get on at Charing
Cross heading for Slade Green. *You need the OEP if gripped between
Greenwich and Slade Green.

The journey begins at Charing Cross, which is an NR station.

And that example is no different to those used by Mizter T except you're
starting in Zone 1.

I think I need to set my little Oyster on NR quiz!
--
Paul C- Hide quoted text -

MIG February 6th 10 10:07 AM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On 5 Feb, 23:11, wrote:
In article
,

(MIG) wrote:
Ang on; aren't those just examples where they'd be on PAYG for the
whole journey?

Good point.

Except that I was forgetting that the travelcard is still valid at the
point of touching in, so the OEP still needed.

It's just not as common as starting the journey at a London Terminal.

Paul Terry[_2_] February 6th 10 10:39 AM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 09:01:24 +0000, Paul Terry
wrote:

Hence, an OEP is required. Touching in at Waterloo (in this example)
deducts a maximum cash fare, despite the fact there is a Z1/Z2
travelcard on the Oyster. The actual PAYG fare is then adjusted when
touching out (at Ricmond in Zone 4) - basically resulting in a charge
from the boundary of Zone 2 to Zone 4.

No - *if* an OEP is set before travel in this example then a "mixed
travel" entry charge being deducted. This is less than the maximum cash
fare - being £4.20 peak and £3.40 off peak.

How does that square with the statement in the TfL staff briefing
that...

"Passengers must remember to touch out when they have an Oyster
Extension Permit on their card. If they do not, they will be charged a
maximum Oyster fare." ?

And the statement on
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oysteronline/5823.aspx about PAYG that ...

"When you touch in an entry charge of up to £6.50 will be deducted from
your Oyster card." ?

Does having an OEP reduce the entry charge to the figures you quote
above?

And why make a mixed-mode entry charge when in many cases the journey is
likely to be entirely on NR?

Sorry for pedantry but trying to get the terminology right is important
on such a complicated issue.

No problem - you are right to do so. But I get the feeling that there is
still a huge lack of clarity about the operation of OEPs.
--
Paul Terry

Peter Smyth February 6th 10 11:00 AM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

wrote:

[...]

I think the reasoning is that all travelcard seasons cover at least 2
zones. Therefore the maximum you can pay as an extension is 4 zones
including Z1, which is £4.20/£3.40 (ignoring trips to Amersham etc).

Peter Smyth

Paul Terry[_2_] February 6th 10 11:33 AM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In message , Peter Smyth
writes

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

And why make a mixed-mode entry charge when in many cases the journey
is likely to be entirely on NR?

I think the reasoning is that all travelcard seasons cover at least 2
zones. Therefore the maximum you can pay as an extension is 4 zones
including Z1, which is £4.20/£3.40 (ignoring trips to Amersham etc).

Ah, that would make sense. Thanks.
--
Paul Terry

Paul Terry[_2_] February 6th 10 11:35 AM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

Yes and note the words "up to". There are all sorts of different
charges depending on what zone you are in, what time of day it is and
whether an OEP is present. TfL do not publish all of these charges on
the web hence the "up to" statement. I am able to see other info which
is how I know the other charges exist.

Ah, thanks.
--
Paul Terry

Tom Anderson February 6th 10 12:54 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Railist wrote:

My real life example last week: found myself in Barking (had travelled
there from Chingford by bus).

Barking is in Zone 4, at the time I had Zone 1 - 3 travelcard. When I
touched in, on one platform were Westbound District line trains and on
the adjacent platform was a c2c train. So I would need an OEP for one
service bit not the other. I chickened out and jumped on the District
Line...

I hadn't thought about this. So OEPs are required even on interavailable
routes? What was the situation before - could you use PAYG on those? ISTR
thinking that i could use PAYG between King's Cross and Finsbury Park on
the trains; was i wrong?

tom

--
Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.

Walter Briscoe February 6th 10 12:55 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In message of Fri, 5 Feb
2010 18:21:45 in uk.transport.london, Paul Corfield
writes
wrote:

(I'm wondering if you've got the wrong end of the stick on this OEP
business?)

I could always adapt the quiz that has been used in LUL as a "tester"
for staff to see if they understood all of the various issues relating
to Oyster on NR. It covers a wide range of issues - I did it again
today and still only managed 11 out of 12! I should really have got 12.

Might be fun to see how well people on the group understand the various
concepts.

Paul,
Please, can I or we see it?

What process is used to ensure that staff-testing quizzes are correct
and kept so when conditions change? e.g. Oyster deposits and comparison
with Day Travelcards.

For me, Auto top-up PAYG is very convenient. It avoids the spending
commitment of a Travelcard. However, it is fraught with the risk of
maximum fares on a touching failure. OTOH, it is physically easier to
use than a paper Travelcard. The removal of the £0.50 daily sweetener
means I try to buy a Travelcard for any day when I expect to do more
than 3 underground journeys.

(I HATE the lack (or incoherence) of ticketing information since January
2. London Travelwatch was presented with a fait accompli on the decision
not to publish new editions of Your Guide to Tickets and Fares. There is
no link to Oyster on http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/2930
..aspx. There ARE links from http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/default.aspx
. AFAIK, TfL took the decision quietly. No press release or other

information. I suspect it was a good cost-saving decision, but the lack
of publicity makes me wonder.)

--
Walter Briscoe

Walter Briscoe February 6th 10 04:06 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In message of Sat, 6 Feb
2010 14:53:17 in uk.transport.london, Paul Corfield
writes
On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 13:55:08 +0000, Walter Briscoe
wrote:

In message of Fri, 5 Feb
2010 18:21:45 in uk.transport.london, Paul Corfield
writes

[snip]

I could always adapt the quiz that has been used in LUL as a "tester"
for staff to see if they understood all of the various issues relating
to Oyster on NR. It covers a wide range of issues - I did it again
today and still only managed 11 out of 12! I should really have got 12.

Might be fun to see how well people on the group understand the various
concepts.

Paul,
Please, can I or we see it?

I'm not going to publish it. I will take the basic concepts and devise
a suitable "quiz" for people to have a go it if they want to. I'll even
work out how well people did. Anyone here should be able to get to the
answers using the TfL web pages or from past postings on this group.

I'm not going to use the FOI Act to try to acquire the information.

[snip]

The issue about the fares leaflets has been discussed before. There are
also a load of questions from Assembly Members in the most recent
Mayor's Question Time on 27th Jan 2010. The responses are on the
relevant part of the Mayor's website.

I confess failure. I found details of the meeting at http://www.london.
gov.uk/assembly/assemmtgs/2010/mqtjan27/agenda.jsp.
There I was pointed to http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/assemmtgs/2010
/mqtjan27/item06.pdf.
Questions 158 and 228 were all I found that was relevant.
I did not find answers.

I will break off to get to important matters at TW1 1DZ where the start
was delayed for 4 minutes.
--
Walter Briscoe

Michael R N Dolbear February 6th 10 09:24 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

Paul Corfield wrote

I'm not going to publish it. I will take the basic concepts and

devise
a suitable "quiz" for people to have a go it if they want to. I'll

even
work out how well people did. Anyone here should be able to get to

the
answers using the TfL web pages or from past postings on this group.

It would be interesting to see if it can be answered using only the
information on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_card

--
Mike D

Offramp February 7th 10 10:00 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

Grab these fckers while you can... In the future OEPs are gonna be the
rarest of all rare tickets!

Lump in!

[email protected] February 7th 10 10:26 PM

London Travelwatch on OEPs

In article
,
(Offramp) wrote:

Grab these fckers while you can... In the future OEPs are gonna be the
rarest of all rare tickets!

Lump in!

Is there any way of getting useful external evidence of having an OEP if
you want to show you have one?

--
Colin Rosenstiel