Old February 7th 10, 01:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Why did Thameslink by-pass Crystal Palace?

On Feb 7, 2:19*pm, Mizter T wrote:

Reopen the Dudding Hill line for passenger services... ;-)

This would not surprise me.

Nothing like that surprises me any more.

--
Nick

Old February 7th 10, 03:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In uk.railway MIG wrote:
On 6 Feb, 18:56, "Yokel" wrote:
I personally had a go on the Guildford route once. Â*It was like one of
those enthusiasts' railtours - you got to see a lot of interesting track
and not a few junction curves, but unless you were out for pleasure or
had a phobia about the Underground it was a pretty pointless exercise.
Â*Anyone travelling to some purpose for whom journey time had any
importance could find a number of much quicker options.

I had a go too. It was something like a little under 1h30 from Guildford to
King's Cross. That was handy as we had luggage and didn't want to traipse
around the tube, but anyone who wanted to do it unencumbered was best going
to Waterloo.

Yokel's description chimes with my memory of it. I don't know if it's just
me, but unrefurbished 319s/455s slowly trundling around south London
stopping everywhere aren't my idea of a nice journey. (I tar all the
Guildford New Line services with the same brush)

But West Croydon and Sutton to Guildford is useful. Just saves
changing drivers and turning trains round. Similar to Victoria to
Portsmouth etc: plenty of demand along the route even if not much end
to end traffic.

Unless they've gone, there are still Guildford trains to London Bridge via
West Croydon, but they're peak hours only. I've certainly seen Electrostars
in platform 1 at Guildford, so they've been running fairly recently.

Theo
Old February 7th 10, 03:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote

Hmm - how does Barking to Greenford sound?

That was proposed in the past, though the route was Gospel Oak, Willesden
Junction, Actomn Wells, Acton ML, Ealing Broadway.

Peter

Old February 7th 10, 06:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 07/02/2010 16:09, Theo Markettos wrote:

Unless they've gone, there are still Guildford trains to London Bridge via
West Croydon, but they're peak hours only. I've certainly seen Electrostars
in platform 1 at Guildford, so they've been running fairly recently.

They are still there, some are 377s some 455s.

There was a SWT West Croydon - (fast to Sutton) - Guildford service, but
that went some time ago, and it was usually pretty empty on the fast
section anyway.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old February 8th 10, 12:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
Looks like alternate services continuing from West Croydon to
Guildford till May 1994.

That agrees with my memory. It was Guildford to Luton, forming the stopping
service on the MML.

Theo

Old February 8th 10, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 04:03:12AM -0800, MIG wrote:
On 6 Feb, 11:28, Alec 1SJ wrote:
Don't get me wrong: I don't want thameslink to come through Crystal
Palace or Gipsy Hill, but I might like some other lines to be extended
and so I wander why now that so many other stations in South London
get thameslink trains stopping, these stations get none?

I'm sure there was a time in the early 1990s when Thameslink switched
between the Crystal Palace route and the Selhurst route towards West
Croydon, all before it took over the Wimbledon loop and stopped going
to West Croydon.

There are still a handful of Thameslink services that go via Selhurst.
I think one a day stops at Selhurst, Thornton Heath, Norbury and
Streatham Common before getting onto the normal route at Streatham.
Presumably this is because trains are kept overnight at Selhurst depot.

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt
Old February 8th 10, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 06:56:53PM -0000, Yokel wrote:

A similar thing happened with the "Anglia" experiment to Basingstoke. Nice
idea, but absolutely lousy pathing and much too slow to attract any
significant custom.

If you think that was bad, try Basingstoke to York. Not only did it
take forever, but the one time when I didn't book in advance, I found
that it would be cheaper to use a taxi.

Old February 9th 10, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 12:01:32PM -0000, Paul Scott wrote:

Thameslink yet to come, such as the 4 tph all stations on the Norwood Jn to
London Bridge route, which will be transferred from Southern...

The question left hanging seems to be what the balancing all stations
service will be on the north side...

There's less need for one, given that there are tubes north of the
river, so it just becomes a problem of figuring out where the northbound
stopping services terminate and turn round, without getting in the way
of faster through services.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

Aluminum makes a nice hat.
All paranoids will tell you that.
But what most do not know
Is reflections will show