Old February 17th 10, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Two hour Central line shut down during evening rush hour

Some kind of signalling problem near Liverpool Street area nuked the
service at around 5.30pm. The above story says the whole line was out
of action - a later radio travel report I heard suggested that the
line wasn't running between White City and Leytonstone, maybe the
situation changed over time though. Regardless, most definitely not
the sort of thing that should be happening.

Old February 18th 10, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:19:42 -0800 (PST)
Mizter T wrote:

Some kind of signalling problem near Liverpool Street area nuked the
service at around 5.30pm. The above story says the whole line was out
of action - a later radio travel report I heard suggested that the
line wasn't running between White City and Leytonstone, maybe the
situation changed over time though. Regardless, most definitely not
the sort of thing that should be happening.

Someone I work with tried to get the central line from Hanger Lane last night
but the station was closed so the problem went further than white city. Seems
the knuckle draggers running the line have forgotten what reversing points are
for else they'd have reveresed trains at marble arch and white city back out
to ealing and ruislip.

Or more likely they just couldn't be arsed. Its much simpler to do nothing
and just let the passengers go f*ck themselves.

B2003

Old February 18th 10, 09:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 02:19:42PM -0800, Mizter T wrote:

Some kind of signalling problem near Liverpool Street area nuked the
service at around 5.30pm. The above story says the whole line was out
of action - a later radio travel report I heard suggested that the
line wasn't running between White City and Leytonstone, maybe the
situation changed over time though. Regardless, most definitely not
the sort of thing that should be happening.

No trains at all at White City at 1815, and hordes of people milling
about not knowing what to do. The poor dears obviously didn't think to
wander out of the station and catch a bus.

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

comparative and superlative explained:

Huhn worse, worser, worsest, worsted, wasted
Old February 18th 10, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:57:16 +0000
David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 02:19:42PM -0800, Mizter T wrote:

Some kind of signalling problem near Liverpool Street area nuked the
service at around 5.30pm. The above story says the whole line was out
of action - a later radio travel report I heard suggested that the
line wasn't running between White City and Leytonstone, maybe the
situation changed over time though. Regardless, most definitely not
the sort of thing that should be happening.

No trains at all at White City at 1815, and hordes of people milling
about not knowing what to do. The poor dears obviously didn't think to
wander out of the station and catch a bus.

If you "wander out" of a station LU now kindly stitch you for the full fare
to that zone on PAYG oyster even if its obvious going by times that you
couldn't have been anywhere.

Btw , have you ever caught a bus in the evening rush hour when the tube is
down? You'd be quicker walking.

B2003

Old February 18th 10, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote on 18 February 2010
10:57:16 ...
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 02:19:42PM -0800, Mizter T wrote:

Some kind of signalling problem near Liverpool Street area nuked the
service at around 5.30pm. The above story says the whole line was out
of action - a later radio travel report I heard suggested that the
line wasn't running between White City and Leytonstone, maybe the
situation changed over time though. Regardless, most definitely not
the sort of thing that should be happening.

No trains at all at White City at 1815, and hordes of people milling
about not knowing what to do. The poor dears obviously didn't think to
wander out of the station and catch a bus.

Well, perhaps they didn't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of bus routes.
So which bus would you have caught to get to Ruislip, then? (And no
cheating by using the Journey Planner!) And perhaps they thought that a
signal failure at Liverpool Street might possibly not prevent some sort
of service west of White City.

Incidents like that used to result in an online apology and explanation
from LU, but it seems to be LU policy not to do so these days. Nothing
on the TfL site about it this morning.

--
Richard J.

Old February 18th 10, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 18, 11:47*am, "Richard J." wrote:

[...]

As a commuter, it's not a bad idea to have an alternative route or two
up your sleeve for when things go wrong.

To get back to Ruislip, off the top of my head I could suggest taking
the 220 bus or walking to Willesden Junction station, then the
Bakerloo line / LO DC line service up to Kenton station, walk round
the corner to Northwick Park, then take the Met line towards Ruislip.
Admittedly the easy interchange between Kenton and Northwick Park
stations isn't obvious - perhaps it should be suggested on the Tube
map somehow.

Incidents like that used to result in an online apology and explanation
from LU, but it seems to be LU policy not to do so these days. *Nothing
on the TfL site about it this morning.

Indeed, and there should be - though I guess there might well be
posters at Central line stations. Perhaps the office-based staff
cutbacks at TfL have led to a disconnect here, perhaps not, I dunno.
Old February 18th 10, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:47:16 GMT
"Richard J." wrote:
Incidents like that used to result in an online apology and explanation

Frequently there even used to be poster apologies put up in stations the
following day. Perhaps the price of paper is too high these days....

B2003

Old February 18th 10, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 18, 12:44*pm, wrote:

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:47:16 GMT

"Richard J." wrote:
Incidents like that used to result in an online apology and explanation

Frequently there even used to be poster apologies put up in stations the
following day. Perhaps the price of paper is too high these days....

I saw poster apologies on display at Central Line stations today -
said something along the lines of there being a power failure to
signalling computer in the Liverpool Street area, which led to a
temporary suspension between Holborn and Leystonestone, and severe
disruption to the rest of the line. It was 'signed off' by Mike Smith,
Central Line General Manager.

Still, why let a little fact like that get in the way of having a go
at them for being so disgracefully inept as to not provide poster
apologies...
Old February 18th 10, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:49:16 -0800 (PST), Mizter T wrote:

I saw poster apologies on display at Central Line stations today -
said something along the lines of there being a power failure to
signalling computer in the Liverpool Street area, which led to a
temporary suspension between Holborn and Leystonestone, and severe
disruption to the rest of the line. It was 'signed off' by Mike Smith,
Central Line General Manager.

The backup power failed too?

--
jhk