Old March 2nd 10, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Through ticketing from tube to rail [part 2]

In message , at 05:43:29
on Tue, 2 Mar 2010, remarked:
I almost bought an XC AP ticket from Stansted to Leicester recently
(but chickened out in case the plane was late). That was quoted at
a very reasonable £5.50 !!

What day of the week and time? That might correspond to the elusive £2.30
fare.

Middle of the day on a Wednesday.

Old March 4th 10, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

martin wrote:

I'm curious to know what would happen if I was delayed on my way to
Euston.

I'm curious about a related situation, namely an AP ticket that involves
cross-London transfer. If I board the booked (or recommended) train to
London but then miss my onward booked connection due to problems with
the tube, am I entitled to travel on a later service?

-roy
Old March 4th 10, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Roy Badami" wrote
martin wrote:

I'm curious to know what would happen if I was delayed on my way to
Euston.

I'm curious about a related situation, namely an AP ticket that involves
cross-London transfer. If I board the booked (or recommended) train to
London but then miss my onward booked connection due to problems with the
tube, am I entitled to travel on a later service?

I had that situation last Saturday, Paddington - Kings Cross. Both the FGW
and the EC leg were on booked trains with reservations. Arrival into
Paddington was 'only' ten minutes late, but I failed to reach King's Cross
in time because of a series of problems. I already knew that the normal
H&C/Circle route was closed for engineering, as was the second-choice
Bakerloo/Victoria, so I went for the third choice (Bakerloo/Piccadilly) only
to find the Bakerloo at a standstill ('signalling problem at Oxford
Circus'). I didn't know enough about the bus routes from Padd to Kings
Cross, so I walked to Lancaster Gate. Big mistake - I'd forgotten about the
planned closure west of Marble Arch. Staff blocking the entrance at
Lancaster Gate suggested bus from Paddington! I chose to walk towards
Marble Arch - tried to join buses en route but they were all full and not
stopping. I eventually got the second train from Marble Arch (first was
full) thence via Holborn to Kings Cross, too late for the 1840. Chap in the
travel centre listened to my story then issued me with a "Revised travel
arrangements" slip, for the 2000 train, endorsed 'late at PAD'. I'm now
wondering whether I have a legitimate claim against FGW as their 10-minute
delay got me home 80 late - but was it their fault?

I had earlier had a similar problem on my outward journey: 0820 from Retford
19 minutes late into Kings Cross, no H&C/Circle, no Victoria Line,
Piccadilly train held in platform (passenger under train or some such),
arrived Padd 1055 for 1045 train. I was given the third degree ('two
systems' allegedly showed my train had been on time at Kings Cross) but I
persisted and after much delay the chap phoned KX who apparently said it was
17 late! I said it was 19 minutes but I'd settle for 17, so was given
authority to ride on the 1145. Said authority was stapled to my ticket, so
I couldn't use the automatic barrier, but I got there! Perhaps I should
claim against East Coast.

The FGW chap was going to keep both my reservations, but he gave me back the
EC one when I said I might claim against EC. On the return journey the EC
chap was much more relaxed about it all, and gave me back all three
'coupons' without my asking.

45 minutes is not enough for this transfer when there is engineering work on
the Circle, but I suppose programming such stuff into the system is too
difficult.

So I had the problem twice in one day - the first such occasions ever for
me, and I use Advance tickets a lot.

Old March 8th 10, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
NM NM is offline

On 4 Mar, 21:26, "John Salmon" wrote:
"Roy Badami" wrote

martin wrote:

[...]

Isn't PT wonderful.

Old April 7th 10, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"NM" wrote
"John Salmon" wrote:
"Roy Badami" wrote
martin wrote:
[...]

Postscript to my day out on 27th February: FGW declined my request for a
refund in respect of my journey from Newport to Retford. However, East
Coast have just sent me vouchers to the value of £28.05, being the full cost
of my advance (single) ticket from Retford to Newport.