Old March 1st 10, 06:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Through ticketing from tube to rail [part 2]

I've recently discovered that it's possible to tack local connections
on front of Advance fares. AIUI, if the train to the advance bit of
the journey is delayed, and I miss the connection, then my ticket
ought to be honoured on a later service.

I mentioned in passing in another thread[1] that I've got a Advance
1st ticket from U12* London to Pollokshields West. The reservation
(obviously) only applies to the Euston - Glasgow Central portion of
the trip.

I'm curious to know what would happen if I was delayed on my way to
Euston. If, say, I boarded at Queen's Park, and took a London
Overground service - then I'd be travelling on a TOC service, and
covered by the NRCoC.
But what if I got the Underground, in plenty of time, but still got
held up? Do the conditions still apply? How about if the ticket
specifically started at Queen's Park[2]?

I will, of course, be setting off nice and early, but the best laid
plans...

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/uk.tr...3bed30e7a6acb8
[2] I'm not actually travelling from there. But I did once buy a saver
ticket from Queen's Park (London) to Queen's Park (Glasgow)

Old March 1st 10, 08:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
23:57:59 on Sun, 28 Feb 2010, martin
remarked:
I'm curious to know what would happen if I was delayed on my way to
Euston. If, say, I boarded at Queen's Park, and took a London
Overground service - then I'd be travelling on a TOC service, and
covered by the NRCoC.

But what if I got the Underground, in plenty of time, but still got
held up? Do the conditions still apply? How about if the ticket
specifically started at Queen's Park[2]?

[2] I'm not actually travelling from there. But I did once buy a saver
ticket from Queen's Park (London) to Queen's Park (Glasgow)

The problem is that the AP ticket for that journey is valid either for
VT only (yes, I don't know how you are supposed to do the tails) or
"EastCoast and Connections". So you'd be travelling from Kings Cross in
any case.
Old March 1st 10, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
NM NM is offline

On 1 Mar, 09:09, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

FFS, you need to go to college now to buy a train ticket, WTF is it so
complex?
Old March 1st 10, 09:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
01:59:38 on Mon, 1 Mar 2010, NM remarked:
The problem is that the AP ticket for that journey is valid either for
VT only (yes, I don't know how you are supposed to do the tails) or
"EastCoast and Connections". So you'd be travelling from Kings Cross in
any case.

FFS, you need to go to college now to buy a train ticket, WTF is it so
complex?

Because people apparently want to pay less than the Anytime fare, if
they can.

And to protect the revenue from walk-up tickets, that means putting some
kind of restriction on the cheaper tickets.

Restricting them to one ToC, and one named service, is a prime
candidate. The problem then, is that some journeys require the use of
more than one ToC - so they invent a ticket "with connections" (onto a
different ToC) at one or other end.

To try to keep things simpler (probably the reason) they don't offer
every possible combination of such tickets, so sometimes you'll find
that a longer trip such as London to Glasgow can only be done on the
major routings like ECML and WCML, rather than also up the Midland
mainline and via Sheffield/Leeds etc. (or even more obscure routes).
Old March 1st 10, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

NM wrote:

FFS, you need to go to college now to buy a train ticket, WTF is it so
complex?

Because the system has been "simplified" several times since
privatisation.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632903.html
(D7018 (Class 35) at Tyseley, 4 Oct 1987)

Old March 1st 10, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
09:00:39 on Mon, 1 Mar 2010,
remarked:
I'm curious to know what would happen if I was delayed on my way to
Euston. If, say, I boarded at Queen's Park, and took a London
Overground service - then I'd be travelling on a TOC service, and
covered by the NRCoC.

But what if I got the Underground, in plenty of time, but still got
held up? Do the conditions still apply? How about if the ticket
specifically started at Queen's Park[2]?

[2] I'm not actually travelling from there. But I did once buy a
saver ticket from Queen's Park (London) to Queen's Park (Glasgow)

The problem is that the AP ticket for that journey is valid either
for VT only (yes, I don't know how you are supposed to do the
tails) or "EastCoast and Connections". So you'd be travelling from
Kings Cross in any case.

VT sell through Advance tickets with reservations only on their
services, e.g. Cambridge to Selly Oak.

Huh? Since when did VT have a through service on that route...

There's a VWC *and connections* ticket though.

The ticket they sell is an Advance from Cambridge to Selly Oak. You can't
buy a Cross-Country Advance from Cambridge to Selly Oak. The Cross Country
MD recognised when i saw him recently that wasn't too clever. ;-)

Trouble is, Cross Country don't, so VT is often cheaper and not
infrequently faster end-to-end.

You need to split the ticketing at New St, if you want an XC AP
ticket.

Which costs more. CC claim most of their passengers travel on other TOCs
trains as well as theirs. An own goal there, not offering Advance tickets.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old March 1st 10, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mar 1, 9:09*am, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Perhaps I should have mentioned - my ticket is marked Route '+AP
Rugby', and Validity 'Bookdtrainonly'; the booked train in question
being a VT service from Euston to Glasgow Central.