Old March 2nd 10, 04:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
AJM AJM is offline

Default DLR + NR Question

I will be flying into London City Airport in a few weeks and was planning to
go (London City Airport - Woolwich Arsenal via DLR) to (London Bridge via
NR). I'm sure that there are other ways, but the question is; If I touch in
at LC Airport, travel to Woolwich A, do I need to touch out at WA, or can I
transfer to NR there and just touch out at London Bridge making it one
journey from City Airport to London Bridge? This would be using a pre-topped
up PAYG Oyster.

I don't see a problem touching in out then in and out again. I just wasn't
sure if I needed to or not.

Regards,

Clint

Old March 2nd 10, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 2, 5:49*pm, "AJM" wrote:
I will be flying into London City Airport in a few weeks and was planning to
go (London City Airport - Woolwich Arsenal via DLR) to (London Bridge via
NR). I'm sure that there are other ways, but the question is; If I touch in
at LC Airport, travel to Woolwich A, do I need to touch out at WA, or can I
transfer to NR there and just touch out at London Bridge making it one
journey from City Airport to London Bridge? This would be using a pre-topped
up PAYG Oyster.

I don't see a problem touching in out then in and out again. I just wasn't
sure if I needed to or not.

The interchange between DLR and NR at Woolwich Arsenal is wholly
contained within the gated area, so I don't see any need for you to do
any mid-journey validation at Woolwich Arsenal at all (unless there
are signs there that say you should - but I reckon there aren't).

The stuff that follows isn't relevant to you as a passenger, it's just
some thoughts on arcane Oyster matters, so read no further if you
ain't interested!

What's interesting about this journey is that the fare finder suggests
that the fare for London City Airport to London Bridge (National Rail)
journey is £2.70 peak / £2.40 off-peak, which is the TfL-only zone 1-3
fare - it doesn't show an alternative £4.20 peak/ £3.40 off-peak fare,
which is how one would expect a zones 1-4 DLR plus NR journey to be
charged (it's the through TfL+NR fare).

The system should be able to identify a journey that included the NR
element easily enough, given that one would arrive at London Bridge
and pass through the NR gateline. That said, Thameslink stops at
London Bridge too, and the central section of Thameslink (between West
Hampstead and Elephant & Castle/London Bridge) is treated as a Tube
line for PAYG purposes [1] - so simply passing through the NR gateline
at London Bridge does not definitively prove that a passenger has used
Southeastern services. In this instance I'd say it'd be more than fair
enough to make that assumption though.

The fact that there's no specific LCY to London Bridge (NR) PAYG fare
configured - i.e. via DLR, Woolwich Arsenal and NR (or at least there
doesn't appear to be) - rather suggests that pax are expected to go
via Canning Town and then the Jubilee line, which is undoubtedly the
straightforward route. I'm a little bit surprised by that.

-----
[1] It's one of the pre-2010 PAYG routes listed he
West Hampstead to Moorgate/Elephant & Castle/London Bridge