Old November 23rd 03, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Signs at St. James' Park

Joe wrote:
I agree that "St. James' " or "St. James's" is a matter of debate.
It is considered better practice to omit the additional "s",

By whom?

I always thought that they were to show posession and to show missing
letters in words.
Anyone who watched 'Grumpy Old Men' a few weeks ago will know that
Barons Court doesn't belong to a Baron, yet Earl's Court belongs to
an Earl.

I missed that programme, but always wondered why the apostrophe was in one
but not the other. Why is Barons Court so named? (Oh, and just to confuse
matters, the name on the street signs nearby is "Baron's Court Road"!)

Does St James'/St James's/St James/St. James Park belong to
St James?

I think you'll find that St James's Park is named after St James's Palace,
which was built by Henry VIII on the site of the Hospital of St James.
--
Richard J.

Old November 23rd 03, 03:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Anyone who watched 'Grumpy Old Men' a few weeks ago will know that Barons
Court doesn't belong to a Baron, yet Earl's Court belongs to an Earl.

I don't remember the resolution. I just remember Tony Hawks had written to
Ken Livingstone asking why one had the apostrophe and the other didn't and
being impressed that the reply he got was deliberately stuffed full of
misused apostrophes.

Old November 23rd 03, 03:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I missed that programme, but always wondered why the apostrophe was in one
but not the other. Why is Barons Court so named? (Oh, and just to

confuse
matters, the name on the street signs nearby is "Baron's Court Road"!)

Well ignoring whether or not it ought to have an apostrophe, I just had a
look around and it seems the suggestion was that it was an invented name for
something like a housing development. Similarly you get Kingsbury which is
an old name, say Saxon or something like that, and Queensbury which is from
modern times.

Old November 23rd 03, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mait001" wrote in message
I agree that "St. James' " or "St. James's" is a matter of debate. It is
considered better practice to omit the additional "s", although I would

not
agree that it is grammatically wrong to include it.

Why do I say "better practice"? Because it is The Queen's English and Her
Majesty's Court is known as the "Court of St. James' " and not the Court

of
"St. James's". For example, Ambassadors are appointed to "the Court of St.
James' ", not "the Court of St. James's" or even "the Court of St. James".

There is no apostrophe in "The Court of St James". St James in this case is
not the genitive case.
--
Terry Harper
http://www.terry.harper.btinternet.co.uk/

Old November 23rd 03, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Terry Harper wrote:
"Mait001" wrote in message
I agree that "St. James' " or "St. James's" is a matter of debate.
It is considered better practice to omit the additional "s",
although I would not agree that it is grammatically wrong to include
it.

Why do I say "better practice"? Because it is The Queen's English
and Her Majesty's Court is known as the "Court of St. James' " and
not the Court of "St. James's". For example, Ambassadors are
appointed to "the Court of St. James' ", not "the Court of St.
James's" or even "the Court of St. James".

There is no apostrophe in "The Court of St James". St James in this
case is not the genitive case.

True, but that's not actually what they call it. It's "The Court of St
James's" in the Court Circular, and at www.royal.gov.uk. I assume it's
short for St James's Palace.
--
Richard J.

Old November 23rd 03, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
sigh Another sign that English isn't taught well these days. If you had
been brought up in, say, Liverpool or Manchester, you would have been very
familiar with the large store called Lewis's (different company to John
Lewis).

Different company *from* ....

Robin