Old November 22nd 03, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Default Signs at St. James' Park

Why are some signs at St. James' Park spelled St. James's Park and some
spelled St. James' Park. I'm quite surprised they didn't notice it when they
were put up ages ago.
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For Train Information, The Latest News & Best photos around check out the

Old November 22nd 03, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Joe
writes
Why are some signs at St. James' Park spelled St. James's Park and some
spelled St. James' Park. I'm quite surprised they didn't notice it when they
were put up ages ago.

That's nothing....
We have Upminister Bridge and Upminster on the same sign.
--
Kat The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender,

religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down
inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.

Old November 22nd 03, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Joe wrote:
Why are some signs at St. James' Park spelled St. James's Park and
some spelled St. James' Park. I'm quite surprised they didn't notice
it when they were put up ages ago.

AFAIK there is only one incorrect "St. James' Park" sign (eastbound, near
the front of the train, by the stairs). Considering that the LU HQ is
above the station, it's remarkable that the sign has never been replaced.
--
Richard J.

Old November 23rd 03, 09:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

AFAIK there is only one incorrect "St. James' Park" sign (eastbound, near
the front of the train, by the stairs). Considering that the LU HQ is
above the station, it's remarkable that the sign has never been replaced.

St. James' Park is the correct way to show it. St James's Park is incorrect.
Its like; I'm going to Chris' House, not I'm going to Chris's house

Old November 23rd 03, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Joe wrote:
AFAIK there is only one incorrect "St. James' Park" sign (eastbound,
near the front of the train, by the stairs). Considering that the
LU HQ is above the station, it's remarkable that the sign has never
been replaced.

St. James' Park is the correct way to show it. St James's Park is
incorrect. Its like; I'm going to Chris' House, not I'm going to
Chris's house

But surely you *say* "Chris's house", in which case why not spell it that
way? Although there are some exceptions, it's normal to use 's after
singular names ending in s.

Before you try to lay down the law on the use of apostrophes, you'd better
learn when to put one in "it's".
--
Richard J.

Old November 23rd 03, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

St. James' Park is the correct way to show it. St James's Park is
incorrect.
Its like; I'm going to Chris' House, not I'm going to Chris's house

I think this is an area that can cause much debate. A quick internet search
suggests a consensus for using an apostrophe and an s unless the word sounds
ugly with it and that is certainly how I use it.

I would certainly say Chris's house and I would generally say St James's
Park, just as I would say princess's or Thomas's. However many would find
Thomas's ugly and just use Thomas' (as in St Thomas' Hospital). Sometimes I
do myself and I will sometimes say St James' Park when it trips off the
tongue better.

However regardless of any of that St James's Park is the accepted correct
name for the park. On the other hand it seems Newcastle play at St James'
Park and Exeter City at either St James Park or St James' Park depending on
if you read The Guardian or The Times.

Old November 23rd 03, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I agree that "St. James' " or "St. James's" is a matter of debate. It is
considered better practice to omit the additional "s", although I would not
agree that it is grammatically wrong to include it.

Why do I say "better practice"? Because it is The Queen's English and Her
Majesty's Court is known as the "Court of St. James' " and not the Court of
"St. James's". For example, Ambassadors are appointed to "the Court of St.
James' ", not "the Court of St. James's" or even "the Court of St. James".

Marc.
Old November 23rd 03, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mait001 wrote:
I agree that "St. James' " or "St. James's" is a matter of debate. It
is considered better practice to omit the additional "s",

By whom?

although I would not agree that it is grammatically wrong to include
it.

Why do I say "better practice"? Because it is The Queen's English and
Her Majesty's Court is known as the "Court of St. James' " and not
the Court of "St. James's". For example, Ambassadors are appointed to
"the Court of St. James' ", not "the Court of St. James's" or even
"the Court of St. James".

The Queen doesn't agree with you. The Court Circulars refer to "the Court
of St James's". Example at
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...883468,00.html

--
Richard J.

Old November 23rd 03, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:16:59 -0000, "Joe"
wrote:

AFAIK there is only one incorrect "St. James' Park" sign (eastbound, near
the front of the train, by the stairs). Considering that the LU HQ is
above the station, it's remarkable that the sign has never been replaced.

St. James' Park is the correct way to show it. St James's Park is incorrect.
Its like; I'm going to Chris' House, not I'm going to Chris's house

A common misconception. The "s" after the apostorphe is only omitted
if the word is a plural, rather than a singular, noun. E.g. "boys'
games" compared to "Burns's poems."
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old November 23rd 03, 01:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

I agree that "St. James' " or "St. James's" is a matter of debate. It
is considered better practice to omit the additional "s",

By whom?

I always thought that they were to show posession and to show missing
letters in words.
Anyone who watched 'Grumpy Old Men' a few weeks ago will know that Barons
Court doesn't belong to a Baron, yet Earl's Court belongs to an Earl.
Does St James'/St James's/St James/St. James Park belong to St James?