Old March 12th 10, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Eusless

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:00:19 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
International pax wanting to travel onward have been estimated at just
two trains-full a day, apparently.

But does that take into account potential through running from the midlands
when people there find its a lot easier to get to france etc?

Would a large junction matter? Its not like theres trains leaving every
minute clapham junction style.

There would be, once you've combined the HS1 and HS2 traffic.

But if HS2 doesn't intersect with HS1 then thats the point of it? All it'll
do is knock 30 mins of the trip to birmingham. It won't make getting too or
from france any easier for travellers. I don't get it.

B2003

Old March 12th 10, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

See the PDF leaflet:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/hi...df/leaflet.pdf

It doesn't make it clear whether the work involves rotating the station and
surrounding roads by 90 degrees or whether they are moving the north pole to
Brazil.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old March 12th 10, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:28:41 +0000
Paul Terry wrote:
I think a key issues will be whether a through service to Paris could
compete with the cheap airlines on cost grounds. The report into the
failure of Regional Eurostar concluded that trains couldn't complete
with low-cost direct plane fares to Paris from regional airports. If HS2
is built, the journey times will be attractive, but my guess is that
fares will still not be competitive enough to move many away from flying
- unless, of course, air fares rise substantially, which is not
impossible.

Theres more to it than price though. A lot of people don't like flying and
find the whole airport and security experience unpleasent. Plus in the
particular case of Paris CDG its right out in the sticks and you need to get a
train or taxi into central paris anyway.

Regional eurostar was also done when people had to cross london to waterloo.
Now they could (in theory) step across the platform , or at least only walk
100 metres from which would make it a lot more attractive.

B2003

Old March 12th 10, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:28:41 on Fri,
12 Mar 2010, Paul Terry remarked:
International pax wanting to travel onward have been estimated at just
two trains-full a day, apparently.

But does that take into account potential through running from the midlands
when people there find its a lot easier to get to france etc?

I think a key issues will be whether a through service to Paris could
compete with the cheap airlines on cost grounds. The report into the
failure of Regional Eurostar concluded that trains couldn't complete
with low-cost direct plane fares to Paris from regional airports. If
HS2 is built, the journey times will be attractive, but my guess is
that fares will still not be competitive enough to move many away from
flying - unless, of course, air fares rise substantially, which is not
impossible.

And there's more to France than Paris, and more to the Continent than
France.
Old March 12th 10, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:08:38 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
And there's more to France than Paris, and more to the Continent than
France.

Hopefully Euseless Eurostar will lose their monopoly on international
services and we'll get a proper range of through services from St P.

B2003