Old April 24th 10, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default access to the north of the Olympic Park

Is there anything documented anywhere regarding improvements to the bus
network at the north of the olympic park anywhere? At the moment, the
only public transport that runs along the north of the park is the W15
which runs between Hackney and Leyton (and beyond). Will there be any
plan for a bus 'terminal' at the north of the park? Perhaps with a couple
of interesting bus lines being extended along there? (26 or 30 from
Hackney Wick? Or maybe a bus route from Walthamstow, through Leyton to
the north of the park, like the 58 or 69?

Also, will there be bus access through to the International Station/DLR?

Old April 24th 10, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 24 Apr, 14:33, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:14:19 +0000 (UTC), Martin Petrov

wrote:
Is there anything documented anywhere regarding improvements to the bus
network at the north of the olympic park anywhere? At the moment, the
only public transport that runs along the north of the park is the W15
which runs between Hackney and Leyton (and beyond). Will there be any
plan for a bus 'terminal' at the north of the park? Perhaps with a couple
of interesting bus lines being extended along there? (26 or 30 from
Hackney Wick? Or maybe a bus route from Walthamstow, through Leyton to
the north of the park, like the 58 or 69?

Also, will there be bus access through to the International Station/DLR?

The Westfield development has a northern bus station and I would expect
a decent number of services to serve it. *What happens in the short term
will, of course, be influenced by the pace of development (and related
road changes) on the Olympic site.

I saw something, in confidence, a very long time ago about what might
happen to bus routes serving the area north of Stratford Station. I
would imagine things have moved on considerably since I saw the initial
ideas - not least because of the TfL budget situation although that
might be ameliorated by S106 funding. I am not going to break the
confidence by revealing the details. However you don't need to be a
genius to look at what happened with Westfield at White City (or any
major shopping / property redevelopment outside London) to see what
could happen at Stratford.

The big - in fact massive - plus for Westfield and its tenants at
Stratford is the sheer reach of the rail network. People from a very
wide area will be one, maybe two, train rides away Stratford. *If we
think trains get full at Shepherds Bush Overground then I think people
will be surprised how much journey generation Westfield Stratford is
going to create.

At a bit of a tangent, I have to wonder how much more stuff people can
actually buy though.
Old April 25th 10, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 09:58:44 -0700, MIG wrote:

At a bit of a tangent, I have to wonder how much more stuff people can
actually buy though.

shrugs dunno - but living to the East of London, the necessary evil of
"shopping" is a bit of a trek - either to the West End, or all the way
over to Westfield in Shepherd's Bush. Having this on my doorstep (and in
my case, actually within a 15 minute walk from my house) will make it a
bit less of a chore. This will bring a pretty extensive shopping centre
within a very short journey of literally millions.
Old April 25th 10, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I saw something, in confidence, a very long time ago about what might
happen to bus routes serving the area north of Stratford Station. I
would imagine things have moved on considerably since I saw the initial
ideas - not least because of the TfL budget situation although that
might be ameliorated by S106 funding. I am not going to break the
confidence by revealing the details. However you don't need to be a
genius to look at what happened with Westfield at White City (or any
major shopping / property redevelopment outside London) to see what
could happen at Stratford.

Excellent - all sounds good. (vaguely intrigued by the web of secrecy,
but it will all come out sooner or later!)
Old April 25th 10, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:57:51 +0000, Martin Petrov wrote:

vaguely intrigued by the web of secrecy

Or is it "veil of secrecy"? Anyway, I think you catch my drift!

Old April 25th 10, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:49:34 on Sun, 25 Apr
2010, Martin Petrov remarked:

This will bring a pretty extensive shopping centre
within a very short journey of literally millions.

oops, I read that as "pretty expensive" the first time!
Old April 25th 10, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 25 Apr, 16:49, Martin Petrov
wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 09:58:44 -0700, MIG wrote:
At a bit of a tangent, I have to wonder how much more stuff people can
actually buy though.

shrugs dunno - but living to the East of London, the necessary evil of
"shopping" is a bit of a trek - either to the West End, or all the way
over to Westfield in Shepherd's Bush. Having this on my doorstep (and in
my case, actually within a 15 minute walk from my house) will make it a
bit less of a chore. This will bring a pretty extensive shopping centre
within a very short journey of literally millions.

I tend to find that the unwillingness of shops to stock anything and
having to get it all through Amazon has resulted in there being less
difference between my local shops and West End/large shopping centre,
ie you can't get anything anywhere.