Old April 28th 10, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Transport Me! :-)

Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 18:13:23 -0400, redcat
wrote:
Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday? Zones 1,
2 & 3. Thanks!

Sunday morning markets at Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane (Aldgate East,
Aldgate and Liverpool Street stations)? Lunch at one of the
outstanding curry houses in Brick Lane?

Get there early for the best of the bargains. Brick Lane opens at
8:00 AM and Petticoat Lane at 9:00 AM.

I'm liking the Petticoat Lane idea more and more. I'm on the Central
Line and so is Liverpool Street. I'm psyched! Any helpful hints for my
morning and lunch at Petticoat Lane? :-)

Thanks!

Cat

Old April 28th 10, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Transport Me! :-) P.S. Question

redcat wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Sunday morning markets at Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane (Aldgate East,
Aldgate and Liverpool Street stations)? Lunch at one of the
outstanding curry houses in Brick Lane?

Get there early for the best of the bargains. Brick Lane opens at
8:00 AM and Petticoat Lane at 9:00 AM.

**P.S. this is still on ran/shine/Bank Holiday Weekend, right? **
Old April 28th 10, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday? Zones 1,
2 & 3. Thanks!

Sunday morning markets at Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane (Aldgate East,
Aldgate and Liverpool Street stations)? Lunch at one of the outstanding
curry houses in Brick Lane?

There are outstanding curry houses on Brick Lane?

tom

--
.... the full attack expands into an unusual pseudosteganographic
strikeback methodology against peer to peer networks. -- Dan Kaminsky
Old April 28th 10, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday? Zones 1,
2 & 3. Thanks!

Sunday morning markets at Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane (Aldgate East,
Aldgate and Liverpool Street stations)? Lunch at one of the
outstanding curry houses in Brick Lane?

There are outstanding curry houses on Brick Lane?

Curry can be eaten? I thought it was for cleaning old pennies.
Old April 28th 10, 01:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday? Zones 1,
2 & 3. Thanks!

Sunday morning markets at Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane (Aldgate East,
Aldgate and Liverpool Street stations)? Lunch at one of the
outstanding curry houses in Brick Lane?

Get there early for the best of the bargains. Brick Lane opens at
8:00 AM and Petticoat Lane at 9:00 AM.

I'm liking the Petticoat Lane idea more and more. I'm on the Central
Line and so is Liverpool Street. I'm psyched! Any helpful hints for my
morning and lunch at Petticoat Lane? :-)

My best hint? Get there early. Stallholders start setting up from
about 06:30. By 8:00, the official opening time, the market is
already buzzing. The best bargains go first - you get young, up and
coming fashion designers selling their latest work and it's all gone
by 8:30.

I haven't eaten in the area for a few years. As I live west of
London, my usual haunt for a good South Asian meal is Southall. But
Time Out will have some good recommendations on their web site.

http://www.timeout.com/london/

Most Bangladeshi restaurants don't serve alcohol, so you may wish to
take that into account when making a choice. Even if you choose at
random on the day, there is no shortage of excellent eating places and
prices are low for London.

Between the two markets, Brick and Petticoat, there are well over
1,000 individual stalls on a Sunday, and they sell a wide range of
items, not solely to do with the rag trade. So you can easily spend
the whole morning there.

Officially, the markets close about 2:00 PM but some stallholders have
left by then. So get there early!

I don't think you will find a more colourful market anywhere else in
Europe, short of going to Istanbul. Take your camera!

Old April 28th 10, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday? Zones 1,
2 & 3. Thanks!

Sunday morning markets at Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane (Aldgate East,
Aldgate and Liverpool Street stations)? Lunch at one of the
outstanding curry houses in Brick Lane?

Get there early for the best of the bargains. Brick Lane opens at
8:00 AM and Petticoat Lane at 9:00 AM.

I'm liking the Petticoat Lane idea more and more. I'm on the Central
Line and so is Liverpool Street. I'm psyched! Any helpful hints for my
morning and lunch at Petticoat Lane? :-)

My best hint? Get there early. Stallholders start setting up from
about 06:30. By 8:00, the official opening time, the market is
already buzzing. The best bargains go first - you get young, up and
coming fashion designers selling their latest work and it's all gone
by 8:30.

Oh, my, how do these young up and coming designers get there so early? I
suppose they just hadn't gone to sleep since Saturday night.

Most Bangladeshi restaurants don't serve alcohol, so you may wish to
take that into account when making a choice.

That doesn't bother me one bit. I'll be very jet lagged and alcohol
would just put me to sleep -- at the wrong time!

I don't think you will find a more colourful market anywhere else in
Europe, short of going to Istanbul. Take your camera!

I hate looking like a tourist! :-) I guess I'll have to put on an artsy
scowl. :-)

Best,

Cat
Old April 28th 10, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday? Zones 1,
2 & 3. Thanks!

Sunday morning markets at Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane (Aldgate East,
Aldgate and Liverpool Street stations)? *Lunch at one of the outstanding
curry houses in Brick Lane?

There are outstanding curry houses on Brick Lane?

Preem is good stuff, as is Bengal Village - both on Brick Lane.
Tayyabs (Fieldgate St off Whitechapel Rd) or Lahore (Umberston St off
Commercial Road) are both choice eateries nearby. The latter two are
BYO, but Preem isn't and I don't think Bengal Village is either.
Old April 28th 10, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday? Zones 1,
2 & 3. Thanks!

Sunday morning markets at Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane (Aldgate East,
Aldgate and Liverpool Street stations)? Lunch at one of the
outstanding curry houses in Brick Lane?

There are outstanding curry houses on Brick Lane?

Curry can be eaten? I thought it was for cleaning old pennies.

No, that sounds more like Coca-Cola.

Old April 29th 10, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

redcat wrote:

Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday? Zones 1,
2 & 3. Thanks!

A trip to North Acton for some of the tastiest food ever:

http://www.welovelocal.com/en/london/ealing/north-acton/lebanese-restaurants/barbar-nw106td.html

--
Phil Richards, London, UK
3,600+ railway photos since 1980 at:
Old April 29th 10, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:37:51 +0100, Phil Richards
wrote:

redcat wrote:

Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday? Zones 1,
2 & 3. Thanks!

A trip to North Acton for some of the tastiest food ever:

http://www.welovelocal.com/en/london/ealing/north-acton/lebanese-restaurants/barbar-nw106td.html

Thanks for the tip. I'm very partial to Lebanese food and would like
a change from my usual Maroush.