Old April 27th 10, 10:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Transport Me! :-)

Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday? Zones 1,
2 & 3. Thanks!

Cat

Old April 27th 10, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"redcat" wrote in message
m...
Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday? Zones 1, 2
& 3. Thanks!

I find getting hog-whimperingly drunk as good a way of dealing with being in
London as any. But then I have to live & work here...

--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old April 27th 10, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, redcat wrote:

Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday? Zones 1,
2 & 3. Thanks!

Space hopper.

tom

--
File under 'directionless space novelty ultimately ruined by poor
self-editing'
Old April 27th 10, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 27, 11:13*pm, redcat wrote:
Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday? Zones 1,
2 & 3. Thanks!

The obvious suggestion is that on Monday you could ride on the
extended East London Line, which opened for a 'preview' service today
- note that there's no service on Saturday or Sunday, and it finishes
at 8pm. Also bear in mind that the North London Line (NLL) isn't
running at the moment east of Gospel Oak (bustitution in effect
throughout) - actually just checked and the whole NLL is closed (i.e.
Richmond - Stratford). Anyhow, point being, there's no interchanging
between Dalston Junction (ELL) and Dalston Kingsland (NLL).

Which prompts me to say that, whatever you're thinking of doing, check
what is and isn't running first over the long bank holiday weekend -
this is the Tube's weekend closures:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...offset=weekend

You could also try the Southeastern highsoeed service between
Stratford and St Pancras - important to note however that (normal)
Travelcards are *not* valid, so you'd have to buy an extra ticket.
Alternatively you could just visit Stratford International station via
the bus link from Stratford (Regional) station - notionally you're
supposed to be travelling on the Highspeed service if you get on the
bus link, but no-one will be that fussed if you don't.

And the Vaisakhi celebration is in Trafalgar Square on Sunday.
Old April 27th 10, 10:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 27, 11:17*pm, "Steve Dulieu"
wrote:

"redcat" wrote in message

Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday?
Zones 1, 2 & 3. Thanks!

I find getting hog-whimperingly drunk as good a way of dealing with being in
London as any. But then I have to live & work here...

You sound like you could do with a day away from London! Easily done...

Old April 28th 10, 01:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

"redcat" wrote in message

Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday?
Zones 1, 2 & 3. Thanks!

I find getting hog-whimperingly drunk as good a way of dealing with being
in
London as any. But then I have to live & work here...

You sound like you could do with a day away from London! Easily done...

I know, apologies to the OP, have a cracking time, take a ride on one of the
Thames Clippers, get off at Greenwich and take a stroll through the foot
tunnel, or just go to the o2 for a meal or drink, it's a pretty good
destination in and of itself. Have a go on the new East London Line, take a
stroll along the Regents Canal through Regents Park, take in Camden Lock &
Market, or travel 600 miles further east and visit the Bavarian Beerhouse on
City Road, the closest thing you'll find to a pukka Munich bierkeller
without getting on an aircraft (I once spent an entire night in there
without speaking a single word of English!)(isn't this where we came in?)
Just a blancmange* depressed that when I walked into work this afternoon I
was presented with a toilet ornament (certificate in frame) to remind me
that I'd been banging my head against the wall of working for LUL for 25
years. Reminded me that no matter what mental picture I have of myself, I'm
no longer the young buck about town of yesteryear.

*Slightly less than a trifle...

Old April 28th 10, 01:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

"redcat" wrote in message

[...]

I see everyone's dreams are to get out of London! (failing that, out of
their minds.) Congrats on your silver anniversary @ LUL. Hope some
Sterling came with that silver. Thanks for your thoughts (everyone) and
the new vocabulary words.

Cat
Old April 28th 10, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 18:13:23 -0400, redcat
wrote:

Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday? Zones 1,
2 & 3. Thanks!

Sunday morning markets at Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane (Aldgate East,
Aldgate and Liverpool Street stations)? Lunch at one of the
outstanding curry houses in Brick Lane?

Get there early for the best of the bargains. Brick Lane opens at
8:00 AM and Petticoat Lane at 9:00 AM.

Old April 28th 10, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Guys, what should I do in London this coming Sunday and Monday? Zones 1,
2 & 3. Thanks!

Sunday morning markets at Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane (Aldgate East,
Aldgate and Liverpool Street stations)? Lunch at one of the
outstanding curry houses in Brick Lane?

Get there early for the best of the bargains. Brick Lane opens at
8:00 AM and Petticoat Lane at 9:00 AM.

Thank you, sir. I was also thinking about getting out of town on Monday.
Thoughts on Royal Pavilion at Brighton? Just want an easy, short
commute. (Have already recently gone to Bletchley Park and Hampton
Court. Wonderful time machine, the rails!!!) Thanks! (Yes, easing out of
the LUL zones I mentioned in my OP.)

BTW, sounds like it's going to be chilly in town next week. What do you
weather mavens think? Thanks again.

Cat
Old April 28th 10, 12:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , redcat
writes
Steve Dulieu wrote:

[...]

Not all of us; some of us actually like living here. Steve's just a
cin^cyn^Grumpy Old Man.